Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe the clutch on my 6-speed coupe is toast. I can only downshift into 2nd; It is very difficult getting into reverse too. Luckily, i can go 1st to 3rd no problem during normal driving. The hardest thing is 1st to 2nd.

I have yet to replace my clutch yet and i just hit 32K miles.

I read the previous post on clutch life, but this one is for GT's....

When did you clutch burn out?
How much did it cost to replace?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
This sounds more like a gear linkage problem.
If the clutch was toasted, you would get a lot of slip when shifting into the next higher gear. This is esp evident when accelerating hard and say, shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. The RPM's will hang up there, only drop down to where they should be when you take your foot out of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That sounds like the transmission problem as "Fred" said. I have the GT also. The clutch life tend to be good but dont know for for sure how many miles it is going to last. You could have the mechanics take a look and they could estimate how much the clutch left. Just visual inspection under the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!

I'll have them take a look at it. That sounds to me like a warranty-covered issue if the clutch isnt actually toasted. Am i correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred:

To Clarify: The main problem is 1st to 2nd... and getting into Reverse....

Does this still sound like a tranny problem or is it a clutch that's almost gone?

***If my clutch is a gonner, how long before i actually have to bring it in to get fixed? I'm a busy guy so i'd like to postpone the inevitible.

***Also--i've been quoted 2500 to 3000... crazy!

Thanks for your great input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts