Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the Maser clutches only lasting 10k-20k miles? Is it made of a special material or is this just a ploy to get the car in the shop?:confused:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Weak Point...

for Maserati has always been clutches and transmissions...

The clutch with the CC just get's a lot of wear due to the computer doing the engagement. If you get the DBW, it's not near as bad and the clutch lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What's up with the Maser clutches only lasting 10k-20k miles? :confused:
For them we are all bad drivers... Have you heard that saying "The customer is always right" ? Well, Maserati thinks it's the other way around.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My car is in the shop right now getting the clutch replaced. My tech says that the clutch is way too small for the car's weight and that is why it burned out so soon. This seems plausible since the drivetrain is based on a Ferrari which weighs about 600lbs less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is in the shop right now getting the clutch replaced. My tech says that the clutch is way too small for the car's weight and that is why it burned out so soon. This seems plausible since the drivetrain is based on a Ferrari which weighs about 600lbs less.
just curious but what is it costing. Went to a dealer yesterday and was quoted $5500 which is higher than mosts posts I've read.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
About in line with what was quoted to me here in Japan but I did read of others in the US getting it for about $4k or so.

·
Registered
340 Posts
just curious but what is it costing. Went to a dealer yesterday and was quoted $5500 which is higher than mosts posts I've read.
Some dealers will insist on replacing the flywheel (instead of resurfacing) which will add to the price.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The dealer just replaced my clutch disks, pilot bearing and bellhousing bearing, but not the throwout bearing. It seems weird to me, but I'm no expert.

What do you guys think? Should the T/O bearing always be replaced when getting the clutch service?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
What do you guys think? Should the T/O bearing always be replaced when getting the clutch service?
I would definitely think so....

·
Registered
246 Posts
The dealer just replaced my clutch disks, pilot bearing and bellhousing bearing, but not the throwout bearing. It seems weird to me, but I'm no expert.

Well, it is sort of a matter of preference. The T/O bearing is often/usually replaced when the clutch is replaced, but for preventative reasons. The T/O bearing rarely fails, and actually gets little use, since it is only under load when the clutch is disengaged.

I have always replaced T/O bearings when clutches are replaced, including on my 2003 Maser at 30K miles. In that case, I replaced the clutch since the dealer had the tranny out anyway to replace the F1 pump. The clutch still had another 10+k miles left on it, so that was preventative too.

BTW, all the threads about horror stories with F1 pumps and clutches seem extreme to me. My F1 pump failed at 30k miles, and the replacement is still doing fine at 48K miles. My OEM clutch was going strong at 30k miles. I think that drivers of these cars need to be sure to understand how the CC tranny works, and drive it as suggested in many threads here (i.e. always in Sport, never in auto, never reverse up an incline if at all possible, .....).

Mike

·
Registered
695 Posts
EDIT:

I lied. (but unintentionally) :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
EDIT:

I lied. (but unintentionally) :)
Not sure what you mean Bcube?? I was repeating what the mechanic told me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts