Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody in this Maserati Community,

I am hoping that you can read on and give me some advice. I bought a 2006 CC Gran Sport in SF California new in Nov of that year. There were a few electrical glitches, I attended Maserati Master course in Parma. As it was bought as a second car, I had only covered 7,750 miles before I was experiencing burning clutch smell in Jan 09.

I took it in and they told me it was 94% worn - which is ludicrous. I nearly always drove the car in sport mode and 99% of the time with paddle shift. realised clutch life on average is 22-25k on average but this is ridiculous.

So I am asking Maserati to do something about this but, so far, because of the warranty guidelines, they are not budging.

I am considering court action on a point of principle that I think I have a faulty clutch and the company is not being fair and reasonable. I know hardcore Diablos can smoke clutches in less than 10k but this is ridiculous.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or can they give me some support or advice.

Regards

Stewie:confused::mad:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The average clutch life is actually 15K, but still you only drove half of that and in sport mode. There's something wrong.

SF hills can be a problem. Do you use the reverse on a hill often? Like to get in/out your garage? That can also do it.

Good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch

In doing some research on the issue, I came across and interesting find at the Maserati dealership in San Diego. They informed me that if driven in especially hilly terrain or very hard that common clutch replacement would be every 6k, yes, 6k. I agree with you that it is ridiculous, but what gives.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread. I'm on the verge of buying a Quattroporte, deciding between the full automatic vs. duo select, and I live on highway 17 (like an F1 track with hills) and commute is 26 miles each way (about 18k miles a year). Yikes, the thought of replacing clutch every 6k miles would kill me). I guess I'll need to go with the automatic.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Confused ??

I'm glad I read this thread. I'm on the verge of buying a Quattroporte, deciding between the full automatic vs. duo select, and I live on highway 17 (like an F1 track with hills) and commute is 26 miles each way (about 18k miles a year). Yikes, the thought of replacing clutch every 6k miles would kill me). I guess I'll need to go with the automatic.
This stuff is difficult to absorb..... do not be dismayed or fooled

There are horror stories about clutches.... plenty
There are fewer good clutch stories

This is the nature of this message board.... mostly a "problem solving " place....
we rarely address the good points.

I own a 2006 QP.... 19,000 miles.... 18% clutch wear

My miles are almost exclusively highway - at speed.... somewhat like your commute
I play with the gears all I want..... up revs - down revs..... what else do you do for 600 miles ??:cool:

The F1 will work for you......But, if can swing it, the auto will cost you less in the long haul
This is the second time I've said this , so I will abstain henceforth

PLUS... you have a coupe/sedan issue...... oy gefiltefish !!

You are NOT in the 6k mile clutch club..... believe me

WW

·
Registered
130 Posts
WW, thanks for the post. I should do more research the duo-select more... I guess I'm fundamenally weary of the duo-select because I never learned to drive stick. Even though the duo-select doesn't invole clutch pedal, because I lack the experience of the manual drive, I'm guessing I'll wear the clutch more than most...Although I'm a fast learner. Also, I face some bumper to bumper traffic every day, which is another drawback..Maybe a test drive would put my fears at bay and give me a sense of the thrill of the duo-select.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need to note that I have now since purchased an '06 QP, which has the duo-select and I could not be happier. I know that there will come a time where I'll need a new clutch, but honestly I really feel I made the right decision getting this transmission and I've no regrets.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The clutch wear reported by stewie1969 sounds to be out of the ordinary even for San Francisco. Be sure that you have your next clutch installed by a tech that knows how to properly set the PIS point, that should give you a bit of help.

Also, have a look at our Drive By Wire Enhancement Module: 4200_dbwem Drive By Wire Enhancement Module

This product has been well reviewed on this forum and we have sold to a few owners in San Franciso that have had to reverse up very steep hills just to get out of their garage and onto the street. They have reported that it really made a big difference. The engagement is noticably better and they no longer smell the clutch during reverse or take off on the hills. Again, do a bit of research on this forum and I'm sure you'll find that it's well worth the investment considering it's benefits.

Feel free to call or email with any questions... I'm here to help!

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gotta love Maserati, I've had clients clutch wear out after 10k (but they drove it almost always in auto mode) When they came and yelled at me (even though I didn't sell them the vehicle) I told them it was the previous sellers fault for not explaining the clients how to properly drive the vehicle with the paddle shift. Maserati need to get on the ball with this, they are severly limiting the future buyers by not addressing these concerns that they've known about since 2002...

I know of 3 separate clients who had sued Maserati because of the clutch and eventually went ahead and fixed the stuff for the client but I doubt they will buy another one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
with my other magneti marelli car, at 7500 miles they told me 40% wear, at 15k miles, they told me 20% wear. Take those reading with grain of salt...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maserati Grandsport clutch and reliability

Just one comment I will never ever ever buy another Maserati again.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
ALWAYS make sure you see the parts list to see what they are putting in the vehicle. Everything needs to be replaced, pilot bearing (also known as the spigot bearing), thrust bearing, flywheel (or get it resurfaced if within spec), clutch/pressure plate, and F1 sensor. I also do them at $4000 but most shops won't if they are covering all those parts correctly. Flush the hydraulic system, and make sure they reset all the clutch parameters/PIS set up.

After you get your new clutch, make sure to bed it in correctly before you go racing down the street. That means for a couple hundred miles drive it slow with easy acceleration. This will keep you from glazing the friction discs or giving yourself headaches later on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts