Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of stuff on the forum about clutches. Bought my 12,000 mile 2004 coupe Jun 2006 with 20% wear. Just had it serviced. It's done 17,000 miles and clutch wear is 31%. When I bought it the dealer said the secret is always to take it out of gear when waiting at lights or at a junction etc for more than 30 secs or so. This is what I've done. In the Uk the cost of a clutch replacement is 10 hours labour (£110 p.h) + the clutch assembly (£360) + VAT (purchase tax, an additional 17.5% of total price).

Just had the 18,750 mile service which cost £600 + £227 of consumables + VAT. Some warranty items + had a puncture so needed 2 new Michelins at £215 a pop on top of service price. Hadn't realised they won't repair tyres on these cars because of the speed.

Matt

·
Registered
431 Posts
Please can you tell me where I can buy a clutch kit for the CC for £360 +vat as I am very interested.

You can buy almost new tyres (slightly part worn) for less than £50 each and not puncture repaired.

Is your car under warranty? I am in Uk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clutch kit

From Meridien in Lyndhurst. http://modena.meridien.co.uk/ This is a really great family owned garage - the longest established Maserati dealer in the UK I think.

My car is still under warranty...thankfully as it has had a few niggles. Output draft shaft bearing needed to be replaced (8 hrs labour) & a water leak, some rust on the bodywork and some other bits.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks. I will make enquieries at my local dealer. they should all be the same price in UK. I was quoted around £650 for the clutch kit last year. I might buy the kit and get it installed by a FM mechanic that I know. Any adjustment using the SD2 computer can be done at dealer for half hour labour-hopefully. My clutch was showing 92% worn last year but I was told that the mechanic has changed clutch which showed 135% wear. My car drives OK for now and I'll wait and see.

When do you actually NEED to change clutch-I mean is it a gradual deterioration i.e. slippage or does the car suddenly stop in the middle of nowhere?(worrying concern!)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hello, Matt.

From everything I've been told/seen/learned, the whole issue of taking the Maserati out of gear when stopped *appears* to be an urban myth. The clutch should be fully disengaged (e.g. no wear/slippage) when stopped and in gear. If you are leaning on the accelerator pedal, that's a different story, but as a long as you stay at idle and below the engagement RPM, it should not cause any clutch wear.

Anyone beg to differ?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hello, Matt.

From everything I've been told/seen/learned, the whole issue of taking the Maserati out of gear when stopped *appears* to be an urban myth. The clutch should be fully disengaged (e.g. no wear/slippage) when stopped and in gear. If you are leaning on the accelerator pedal, that's a different story, but as a long as you stay at idle and below the engagement RPM, it should not cause any clutch wear.

Anyone beg to differ?
Nope, what you're saying is 100% correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts