Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the clutch as sensitive on a 6 speed as it is on the F1 version ? Wondering what is better to get for driving around the city. I would drive mine 80% in the city. Also, is the 6 speed less sensitive to maintenance ?
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fighting Starfish said:
Is the clutch as sensitive on a 6 speed as it is on the F1 version ? Wondering what is better to get for driving around the city. I would drive mine 80% in the city. Also, is the 6 speed less sensitive to maintenance ?
I just took delivery of one of these strip-down version 6 speed GT, I will be mainly driving in the city too (50%) and up and down the streets of SF. I have been driving stick shift for 15+ years, beofre automatic, so getting back into the 6-speed GT is not a problem for me. For me, driving in the SF is not fun anyway, we have terrible streets here, however, it's a small city, within 15 min, you could get to most places in the city quickly so it really doesn't matter too much. Everyone I talk to in Maserati said 6-speed is better for the clutch and you don't have the F1 pump to worry about too.

Since Maserati have taken out launch control in the US, it's much more fun doing a standing start with 6-speed manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dchao said:
Everyone I talk to in Maserati said 6-speed is better for the clutch and you don't have the F1 pump to worry about too.
yep, was thinking about the F1 pump problem too. I guess a GT would eliminate this issue as well.
Now how about the value loss between a GT and CC ? Should I be able to get the GT for a lot less then the same year / mileage CC model ?
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dolle Dolf said:
The GT is rarer. Expect to pay at least the same.
Yes, that's right. I won't find a GT very easily, but you can walk in any dealership and pickup a CC at anytime. Don't forget, a brand new GT is already some $15,000 less than an equivalent CC, because the CC is always loaded with tones of unnecessary options too.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It took me several months to find my 6 speed Coupe, and since taking delivery I have not encountered any issues with the clutch. Now at 13K miles (and 4 years), I took the Coupe to an independent Ferrari mechanic to perform the appropriate service (plus some additional fluid changes). He reviewed the clutch and the verdict is very good, still have about 70% plus life left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the list price of the CC is around £2.5k more that the GT (that's about $4k in real money).

I was told that the CC is in more demand than the GT, with sales running at around 60/40 in the U.K.

Resale values seem to be lower for the GT, by about the same amount as list.

Maintenance costs for the GT box are lower and, with sensible use, you could get 40k/50k miles out of a stick-shift. Mine's done just over 20k miles with 50% wear on the clutch. Clutch wear can be prolonged on the CC by switching to neutral at the lights, eliminating hill starts and keeping the box in 'manual' mode.

The real question is how you get on with the manual v the CC?

·
Registered
246 Posts
A contrarian view

Well, I vote strongly for the F1 as an overall experience. Especially at the track, the F1 is awesome.
That said, I also agree that in city and hill driving, you are likely to not like the F1. It just doesn't do well in stop and go - too lurchy if you aren't just taking off and keeping going. Also, backing up an incline really is hard on the clutch in the F1.
So, if you are mostly highway, non-commute stop and go, I vote strongly for the F1. And if you track your car a couple of times per year, the F1 is the best.
Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
MikeA said:
It just doesn't do well in stop and go - too lurchy if you aren't just taking off and keeping going. Also, backing up an incline really is hard on the clutch in the F1.
I agree with Mike, in the City, specially like San Fran, 6-speed is the best choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts