Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over beers with a friend earlier, I relayed a thought about clutch life (not long) based on what I see here on clutch threads. The thought was:

- Is it possible that clutch design and material is engineered for the rigor and stress of one full F1 event (and thus disposable afterward), which is not necessarily appropriate for the daily driving of 4-12K miles/year?

There were only two beers involved, and I'm not an engineer or industrial designer, but am wondering what others think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Over beers with a friend earlier, I relayed a thought about clutch life (not long) based on what I see here on clutch threads. The thought was:

- Is it possible that clutch design and material is engineered for the rigor and stress of one full F1 event (and thus disposable afterward), which is not necessarily appropriate for the daily driving of 4-12K miles/year?

There were only two beers involved, and I'm not an engineer or industrial designer, but am wondering what others think.
I think your only mistake was assuming that there was engineering involved. I love my GT, but my girlfriend's Honda has a better clutch and gearbox and her has lasted 60,000 miles so far.

My working theory (and this has no beers behind it at the moment) is that Maserati wanted to make sure we all had a true Italian car ownership experience, which also explains the trim piece that fell out of the wheel well while I was driving. My alternative theory is that the clutch and gearbox came from the Fiat parts bin, c. 1975.

Cheers -

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts