Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to hear from the techs.

If you coast in N to a stop, instead of downshifting from 5th to 1st. Does that destroy your gear box? Bundas brought up a good point.

Does taking your foot off the gas right before shifting have a negative impact on your clutch versus shifting while accelerating?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
909 Posts
The drive by throttle system takes your foot out of the gas for you, to match the revs while shifting. Shifting into Neutral is totally un-necessary, and clutch wear on dowshifting or while upshifting under acceleration is far less than your first or reverse engagements. (I feel like going from 2nd-6th-2nd is as much or less wear than one 1st gear engagement under average driving conditions. Even less in Manual\Sport, in a normal car, much less a Gransport or Sport GT in Sport mode.)

Maserati suggests it is possible to smooth out the shifting by feathering the throttle just before and just after the computer executes the shift, to smoothen out power delivery after the clutch is fully engaged.

For performance, or if you aren't concerned about the smoothness, you can just keep your foot wherever it was before you hit the paddle, as the computer will take care of the rest.

Personally, I always downshift, and always leave the car in gear, because I feel its a lot safer to be ready to move in a hurry if I need to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts