Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Maserati GTS and have started to hear clicking noises. I believe they are coming from the calipers. When I asked Service about them they told me it is in fact the calipers. They also said that the clicking sound is normal for Ferrari's and Maserati's. I haven't heard of this before. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When and how do they click?

I only can hear it with the window open while going slow and after I take my foot off the brake. They told me it was the calipers opening or releasing (if I recall correctly).

The noise hasn't always been there. I'm not sure if it is getting worse or it just seems like that since I noticed it. The noise has become somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The pistons in the calipers only move a few thousands of an inch at the most. The most likely cause, without actually hearing it, are the brake pads moving in the calipers. When you apply the brakes the pads will move in the up position as the pads are applied onto the brake rotor. If you change direction or are travelling slowly the pads could be moving slightly in the caliper causing the clicking noise. After repeated operation of the brakes, the pad backing plate will wear ever so slightly. The pads do have to have freedom to move, as long as it's not measured in inches. I've seen this happen hundreds if not thousands of times in the last 40 years repairing cars.

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pistons in the calipers only move a few thousands of an inch at the most. The most likely cause, without actually hearing it, are the brake pads moving in the calipers. When you apply the brakes the pads will move in the up position as the pads are applied onto the brake rotor. If you change direction or are travelling slowly the pads could be moving slightly in the caliper causing the clicking noise. After repeated operation of the brakes, the pad backing plate will wear ever so slightly. The pads do have to have freedom to move, as long as it's not measured in inches. I've seen this happen hundreds if not thousands of times in the last 40 years repairing cars.
Thank you for the information! Is this something I should be worried about and get fixed (if possible) -or- just ignore and accept as being normal (note: 4,000 miles on car)

·
Registered
59 Posts
StealthOne, first you have to confirm the noise is coming from the brake calipers and pads. Without looking and hearing it personally I can't diagnose the condition. You need to have a mechanic confirm the noise then inspect the brake pads for excessive movement in the caliper. I personally have never seen any problem with excessive brake pad movement as long as the the pads are not moving too much. In my humble opinion, if the pads are moving a little it won't cause any problem other than an being annoyance.

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts