Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the paint on the engine block (2006 GS) is very dirty - can it be cleaned fully or does it need repainting?

Also (see second photo) it has started peeling away from the block in one corner. What’s the solution…and can I afford it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kendal. I wonder if anyone has experience of dealing with the lighter colour paint used on the coupe & Gransport (& quattroportes)?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Even if you aren't able to easily re-paint the valve cover, you can certainly clean up the rest of the engine bay. You can begin by shielding with plastic bags the alternator and other vulnerable components, and then continue by hosing the engine down with a constant stream of water. Next, spray degreaser—any brand, and diluted to your liking—over the valve covers + intake manifold, etc. Let things sit for a couple minutes, and then go in with a medium-soft brush and agitate the dirty surfaces. Finally, rinse the engine bay down for a final time. At this point, you can wipe the surfaces dry and/or let them air dry. Alternatively, you can use either an electric leaf blower, or compressed air, to accelerate the drying process. Make sure the bay (particularly the alternator) is as dry as possible, before you star the car. Once you do start the car, let it sit a bit and warm up. Residual water will evaporate.

Everyone has his own process for cleaning and engine bay, but this is more or less what it entails. I'm sure it will look great afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts