Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering as I like to keep my car as spotless as possible. Not an easy task with Avorio colored leather :)

What did you ladies and gentlemen find to work best for you? Right now I am using regular, gentle, saddle soap, which works ok, but I need to first clean, than condition, is there a good "All-In-One" product out there? I heard that Bentley has a good product, any experiences?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Avorio leather has a small worn patch on the seat where the colour has been rubbed off. Anyone know how to restore the colour to this area?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was just wondering as I like to keep my car as spotless as possible. Not an easy task with Avorio colored leather :)

What did you ladies and gentlemen find to work best for you? Right now I am using regular, gentle, saddle soap, which works ok, but I need to first clean, than condition, is there a good "All-In-One" product out there? I heard that Bentley has a good product, any experiences?

Thanks for your thoughts!
I use a saddle soap to clean as well. I also have a Jaguar, and they carry a product called Hide Food - best stuff I have ever used to treat leather.
The leather on my '02 still looks new.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use a saddle soap to clean as well. I also have a Jaguar, and they carry a product called Hide Food - best stuff I have ever used to treat leather.
The leather on my '02 still looks new.
My words : DO NOT USE SADDLE SOAP FOR CLEANING. Modern leather (including that in our cars) have a water-based urethane coating applied to it, which are DAMAGED by ANY petroleum-based cleaners, creams and conditioners.

Car seat leather is what is called aniline leather, where the dye is a water-based polymer applied pretty much in the same way as the bodywork paint (primer, base coat and clear coat). The only different is that it is porous (as the leather needs to breathe) and flexible.

Petroleum-based products will trigger a chemical breakdown which eventually will wreck the leather. Period. Then you have some products which, being water-based + some lanolin, will do nothing more than scent the leather. And finally you have water-based products which will help keep the leather supple.

Of the water-based products, the ones that work best are those that use PDMS, which stands for polydimethilsilicones.

Of the products that I use : either warm damp cloth for cleaning (you need no more) or Lexol when I need to lift-up ingrained dirt (also Gliptone products are known to be a treat, but have not used them myself.) For conditioning I have used Croftgate leather cream, Autoglym leather cream and/or Lexol conditioner, which are all water-based.

After experimentation, I am getting inclined for the Lexol combo, which is great as a one-stop shop solution.

Have contacted PoltronaFrau last week for information about the leather in the Gransport. Will feedback outcome if they happen to provide some feedback.

HTH

·
Registered
357 Posts
I like leatherique cleaner. Check out www.leatherique.com for their "prestine cleaner"

They can also custom blend some dye for that spot. I haven't used that so I can't say how good it is.

For that "old Jag in the barn", the rejuvenator will make that old hard leather supple again. Smells funky for a few days but works wonders.

I have no affiliation with the company but have been a satisfied customer for years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also use Prestine Clean, and Zaino (not Zymol), I think its E10, finishing lotion. It smells incredible and leaves leather nice and supple. Hide Food I use on an old Bentley I have. Need to leave car in sun to warm and open leather pores, and warm up the Hide Food so it will absorb better..leave on for hour or two and wipe. Dont know if the Mas. leather is as "open" pored as the Connoley in the B though.

Chris

·
Registered
177 Posts
Connolly Hide Food

Glad I read this in the posting below - "Modern leather (including that in our cars) have a water-based urethane coating applied to it, which are DAMAGED by ANY petroleum-based cleaners, creams and conditioners."

I bought Connolly Bentley Hide Food but haven't used it yet since it says do NOT use on coated leathers and not sure if my 02 Spyder has coated leather. Can anyone confirm whether or not 02 Spyders came with coated leather? Thanks.

Meanwhile, I have been using both Meguiar's Aloe Leather Conditioner and their 2-in-1 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner products and have been happy.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Can anyone confirm whether or not 02 Spyders came with coated leather? Thanks.
Do a simple test. Place a small drop of water on the seat. Wait for a while. If the leather has absorbed the water and has left a damp areola, then it's uncoated.

Our leathers are coated. BTW have not received a reply from PoltronaFrau to my query above... these Italians :D

Ed

·
Registered
518 Posts
Croftgate leather cleaner is fantastic I use it in my Couio Stella interior all the time keeps my baby beautiful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts