Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've come to the conclusion that my car has some pretty good buildup in the cats and I plan to eventually replace them with the sport cats. Unfortunatly I can't take the time to down to the dealer for some time (over 200 miles away) just yet so they can put the sport ones in for me.

I can put the car on a lift if need be locally so I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives or ways to clean out the buildup in the cats? I'm assuming they are blocked internally like cats on most other cars so I don't think it can be as simple as taking the exhaust/mufflers off to get up in there and clean em out with a steel brush or anything.

What do you recommend to be the best fix to removing the buildup? Like I said, I will eventually replace them with the sport cats but can not for the next month or so.

Has anyone used any of those fuel additives that are supposed to clean out all the lines in your engine to make it run more efficiently and increase gas mileage? I've hear both good things and bad things about these liquid additives, but if someone knows of a good one that works I'm assuming I could run that through the engine to clean out the lines and subsequently flush out some buildup in the exhaust.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
You need to break up and remove the material inside the precats, then clean it out if you plan to remove it ( most people do ). I would suggest that you simply cut out the main cat and replace it with a street legal sport cat. We do have them in stock, any shop should be able to weld in the new part, ours have excellent flow and clearance, really the best you can get. You don't need to go to the Maserati dealer for this installation.

Additives will not help unless your car has a problem which most likely it does not. Just correcting the problem with your cats will save you plenty of gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.