Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just pulled up at out local garage spewing oil/water mix out of the back of the block. You should have seen the mechanics....didn't know where to start. Have got to say.....am very impressed at how enginebay layout and engineering has improved over the last 30 years. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds expensive Dave. Blown head gasket?

Mine always leaves a little water behind whenever I pull up which on-lookers are always quick to point out. But it never seems to need topping up. It can't be from the aircon coz it doesn't work. "Yeah" I say, "that's normal".

And I get small amounts of oil gathering on the casting beneath the spark plug wells, but never in the same place twice: Apparently these engines 'sweat' oil. So whats that about? :)

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mechanic thinks...

....not. Can't work it out. Arrived running on 3. Could hardly go up hill. Got it idling on 5 and running on 6 under power (great engine when it's firing right). Strangely, the leak at the back is a mix of oil and water but it's not emulsified (ie. it's fresh - presumable 2 seperate leaks). And yes, oil often sits around the plug wells. Doesn't seem to cause any drama. As much as i love the looks of the SM, I can imagine that she'd be a demanding mistress. This one is a nice deep black. The Italian mistress in a little black dress :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
The wife and I set off for a short run in the Ghibli at the weekend. I'd just put my newly refurbed wheels and tyres on so had to give it a test run. It was running rough so I spun it round and headed home. Plugs out, carb cleaner and a stiff brush and back in again. Ran perfectly. It's a regular excercise and I getting pretty quick at it now.

Met a couple in Leeds at a classic car show a couple of weeks ago who had an SM (in the 'shop' sadly). I think they named her Chloe: Hot blooded Italian dressed in French couture. Oui Merci!:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts