Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of Maseratisti consider the TC to be an affront to the marque. Obviously, it isn't 100% a Maserati, but do you follow the line of the purists or the opinion that to an extent it's geniune.

I tend to agree with the latter. I welcome anyone to the Maserati family, but then again, I've also seriously considered purchasing a TC. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Pedigree of the TC

[Over the years I've owed several Maseratis, from a 3500GT and a Sebring to several Biturbos and most recently a 2004 Coupé. I've also owned two TCs.]

I think that the "relaxed" approach to this question is the sensible one. Judge the TC on its own merits. Bless its Maserati aspects where they deserve it, and its Chrysler ones where they deserve it. It certainly benefitted from Chrysler build quality and practicality, and its elegant appointments & exotic flair could only have come from Modena.

To those who wondered if it were a "real" Maserati, I always just flipped open the glove compartment door to show its brown & gold Maserati factory sticker, same as in the Biturbos.

Best to think of this car, however, as its own unique self in the rare universe of inter-marque ventures, like the Fiat Abarth, the Lotus Cortina, the Sunbeam Tiger, and the Shelby Mustang. Even the current generation of Maseratis could be said to fit this glass slipper, as in effect a Ferrari-Maserati hybrid. All of these are enormously fun automotive experiments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like and generally agree with your opinion in that it's a Maserati but without overlooking that it is nevertheless a hybrid. Very well constructed post. :cool:

By the way, I like your icon. Does it stand for something in particular?

Danilo/rocco

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I thought it was the Chrysler TC by Maserati. So no it's still a Chrysler. Just like I don't call the Maserati 4200 by Giguiaro the Giugiaro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MVP said:
I thought it was the Chrysler TC by Maserati.
Correct, on the rare DOHC 16 valve turbo 4 cylinder TC's, the script on the valve cover reads "CHRYSLER by Maserati". As is shown in this photo of my NOS head, cast and built by Cosworth in England.

:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am not a purist by any means. My current dream project is a Mazda FD3S rx7 with a Corvette motor in it, and I would still consider that an Rx7.

The TC however, I simply dont really see it as being a maserati.

I would liken it to the Sabaru. The Saab 92-x which is really a Subaru WRX wagon in drag.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ej25goddess said:
I am not a purist by any means. My current dream project is a Mazda FD3S rx7 with a Corvette motor in it, and I would still consider that an Rx7.
That is awesome. I love the LS1 FD swaps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MVP said:
That is awesome. I love the LS1 FD swaps.
And just imagine... an LS1 FD Lingenfelter. Muahahaha.

My local BMW shop I am afiliated with just recently built an e36 m3 AutoX car with an LS1 and a 2 speed powerglide transmission. Full cage, CCWs, all sorts of fun toys, weighing in around 2,200lbs... it is going to be stupid fast.

You can question if it is truely a BMW anymore, the whole ship of theseus dealio, but you cant question that on an AutoX track its going to absolutely fricken smoke you, and all of your friends who arent out there in shifter carts or something powered by a snowmobile drivetrain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
ej25goddess
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing