Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question on another thread, but it got lost in the many posts...

I had hoped to get the ball-polished rims on my new GT, but because production has been halted (from what I hear), I am going to get the regular painted silver 20" rims, and see how it looks. If it's unsatisfactory, I am considering chrome-plating it. From what I've heard, they strip the top layer of painted silver and re-coat it with chrome.

Upside: will look very nice, and shinier than ball-polished.
Downside: it could come out looking really cheezy and ghetto.

Since the car will be a shiny blu oceano, I think chrome wheels should look good. One reason why I think the chrome won't look too gaudy is because the 20" birdcage wheels have a lot of open space so that the actual chrome portion won't be too overwhelming.

Let me know your thoughts: chrome will look awesome? -OR- chrome will make it look cheap & ghetto?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Not a fan of chrome, so I'd say don't do it.

Anyone handy with photoshop to try and see what it may actually look like?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I took the liberty of using my Paint skills...

I drew chrome rims (note the shiny things I made...They sparkle!). I also drew the spoiler that would come with the car, as well as the Red trim on the rims...

I hope this helps you make up your mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
not sure if you can do it with these wheels but why not try polishing it? theres tons of places that do it to wheels.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts

I drew chrome rims (note the shiny things I made...They sparkle!). I also drew the spoiler that would come with the car, as well as the Red trim on the rims...

LOL
Good effort mate ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

definitely getting chrome now

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure if you can do it with these wheels but why not try polishing it? theres tons of places that do it to wheels.
what exactly does "polishing" it do? Does it give it the ball-polished look?
I live in korea where there probably aren't many places that do it (if at all).

·
Registered
73 Posts
what exactly does "polishing" it do? Does it give it the ball-polished look?
I live in korea where there probably aren't many places that do it (if at all).
they strip the paint off the wheel first and buff the metal below it. it will look just like chrome but with no weight gain.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know how relevant this is to your choice but;
I normally don't care for chromed wheels; often looks cheesy but I did have my ball-polished 19" factory wheels chromed on my 05 QP. I think they look great, not the least bit cheesy.
I saw these wheels chromed on a Neiman Marcus edition QP and realized on these wheels and this color (bordeaux pontevecchio) car that the chromed wheels look great. IMHO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
chromed wheels

The answer is . . . it depends. I know that sounds generic but it really depends on the color of the car, the type of wheel, the profile of the tire and the method of chroming. I don't generally like chromed wheels but I have seen some high end cars that have the whole package that are spectacular. the caveat is . . . one wrong component and it could look cheezy.

Somehow having a rendition with your car done would be the way to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Love that spoiler - is it available for a 4200 Spyder ?!

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing to consider is that chroming does weaken the metal. These new large diameter wheels are so easy to damage. Further weakening them would be a concern. If you want shiny, polishing is an option, but does require intensive maintenence. You can have them clear coated after polishing, but the original shine doesn't always last as long as a factory job. The ball polished wheels are acheived by media tumble polishing(I'm pretty sure) and then clear coating. If you don't clear coat, be prepared to keep the wheels clean daily. Brake dust will pit a polished wheel rapidly so it must be removed every day. Any and all of this should be done only by experienced professionals who deal with these high end wheels.
I had some f355 wheels polished and then later saw the car with the guy who had it. Hadn't washed the car in a month. Wheels destroyed in a month. Beyond repair. He wasn't big on common sense though. He broke one wheel trying to move a big rock in his driveway in the rain. He didn't want to get wet so he used a ferrari as a bulldozer. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
XRAYGUN may have a valid point. I wasn't aware that chroming weakens the wheel - but I am keenly aware that I have had a number of cracking issues in the rear wheels of my chromed 19" factory wheels. Fortunately, the wheels were repairable and I've had no further problems.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ball Polished Wheels

The "ball polished" finish on our wheels is actually paint - the name is very misleading. I know this because I had bad curb rash on two ball polished wheels on my 04 spyder with the vintage package.

Andre at Alloy Wheel Repair in Calgary came to my house and repaired the damage. He said that the finish on the wheels is not a result of polishing at all. Rather it is a very expensive paint ($800 per litre).

He ground down the damage, stripped the paint on the surrounding area, sanded it out, and then applied new paint to match. The result is an incredible job - no hint the damge was ever there).

·
Registered
227 Posts
In regards to the weakening of the wheels during chroming, I think it's called Hydrogen Embrittlement.
The finish on the Ball polished wheels looks like clear coat to me. I have pothole damage and in one spot the finish is flaking off and it's clear. I've seen media polishing in action with metal pellets and balls on parts for a restoration project of my own. It was very similar to the finish on the wheels.

I wonder if anyone here has sufficient metalurgical background to speak up on whether this hydrogen embrittlement is severe enough to prohibit GTkorea from considering this? Anyone have bad results on a past car with chromed wheels with such low profile tires?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know how relevant this is to your choice but;
I normally don't care for chromed wheels; often looks cheesy but I did have my ball-polished 19" factory wheels chromed on my 05 QP. I think they look great, not the least bit cheesy.
I saw these wheels chromed on a Neiman Marcus edition QP and realized on these wheels and this color (bordeaux pontevecchio) car that the chromed wheels look great. IMHO.
i personally think 19 out of 20 chrome wheels look cheesy, but that 1 out of 20 looks very nice. when i visualize it in my head, i think the 20" GT wheels may look decent with chrome.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The answer is . . . it depends. I know that sounds generic but it really depends on the color of the car, the type of wheel, the profile of the tire and the method of chroming. I don't generally like chromed wheels but I have seen some high end cars that have the whole package that are spectacular. the caveat is . . . one wrong component and it could look cheezy.

Somehow having a rendition with your car done would be the way to go.
i'm getting the blu oceano GT with 20" birdcage rims. i think the ball-polished rims that used to be available were perfect (see picture link), so i think getting it polished will be a safer bet than chroming it. i'm looking into whether they have shops in Korea that do polished rims. that being said, i think chrome would still look good.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/data_view.php?code=import&No=153356&page=1&select=Subject&content=maserati&r_no=24&search_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=&Answer=2

1 - 20 of 31 Posts