Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the 2005-6 coupe grille would look like chromed. The mesh vintage one is attractive, but I wonder how the big bars would look chromed. I wish I knew how to photoshop so I could see it. Anyone know how to do that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you ever chrome or change the grille? I was wondering the same thing. Is there a chrome mesh or honeycomb grille that will fit the 06?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chrome grill

I'm having a chrome grill put on my black 04 coupe next thursday, be happy to send you a pix if you like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes please post a pic or send it to me. Is the chrome vintage grille available aftermarket? Where can I buy one?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Me too......

Scardino: I have an '03 Coupe and would also be interested in your pics AND how you changed it out/or how much it cost to have someone do it. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mine is an '02 MCC

It'll be nice to have an updated grill on an '02 model, something like BigFoot has on his mas. Any suggestions of a manufacturer, web site etc?:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chrome grill

Well I got the quote from my local N.C. Masi dealer of a little over $1,200.00 installed and thought that was a little steep so I asked on line and someone from www.trident-parts.com wrote me and said he could get me one and that Masi's was painted plastic and his was actually a metal grill. His cost is $950 and it's about an hour of labor (around $100) to install it - (ironically enough the GSPort grill is about $750.00 from the dealer installed...), the install should all be complete Fri and I'll be more then happy to post - that being said, if someone would like to make me an offer on my grill, it's in perfect condition, I'm sure they could get it chromed and installed for allot less then what I'm going to have to pay and would help me offset my own cost and put some extra holiday martini money in my pocket.

S-

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chrome grill 04 Coupe

Got my chrome vintage grill put on my Black '04 Coupe but having issues uploading the pix on masilife (i'm sure it's me, i'm a computer idiot, it's telling me the files are invalid but they open on reg email) - however if you want to pm i'll be happy to email the before and after pix to you - it's friggin' gorgeous with the black car if i do say so myself (but i could be biased)...fyi, a grand installed, (merry xmas to me)...back later, gone drivin'... Scott

·
Registered
609 Posts
OK thx BF, will give that a try....odd b'c the pix I have of my Coupe itself were shot with my phone and cam sent the same way...

·
Registered
744 Posts
My '04 Spyder has the vintage package (chrome grill). It looks great but the grill itself is nothing but a cheap hunk of plastic that is painted to look like real chrome. I honestly cannot see it being worth more than $30 max (the dealer will likely charge $1500 though).

My suggetion would be to remove your existing grill and use a can of chrome spray paint on it. I am willing to bet that the result will be completely indistinguishable from the "chrome" vintage grill and cost you no more than $10. When (or if) it flakes off - simply repaint it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
hey flash you're probably right.....the grill tho appears and feels to the touch to be metal and not plastic but i could be wrong - i got it for a little under a grand at Trident parts.com and then the local dealer charged $70 to put it on...either way it looks great to me and i'm not man enough to take parts off my car or put a spray paint can to a Maserati...tho I know there are many here who would consider that child's play...i think it looks really good and i'm totally please but had i to do it over again i'd look harder for a custom mesh grill...probably be more impactful asthetically - but i'm not sweating it tho b'c if that's my worst problem in life - then life is very good!

·
Registered
744 Posts
hey flash you're probably right.....the grill tho appears and feels to the touch to be metal and not plastic but i could be wrong - i got it for a little under a grand at Trident parts.com and then the local dealer charged $70 to put it on...either way it looks great to me and i'm not man enough to take parts off my car or put a spray paint can to a Maserati...tho I know there are many here who would consider that child's play...i think it looks really good and i'm totally please but had i to do it over again i'd look harder for a custom mesh grill...probably be more impactful asthetically - but i'm not sweating it tho b'c if that's my worst problem in life - then life is very good!
You have me curious now. I will take a closer look. The last time I was crouching around the front it sure looked like plastic but it may in fact be thin metal. Either way, it didn't look very substantial. I did see a post from a someone on here a while back that also talked about the spray paint route but I agree an OEM part is the probably the safest bet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
proof positive

OK I just performed a most scientific test to see if indeed the grill section, the surrounding frame and the Trident emblem itself are plastic or metal - my trusty refrigerator magnet sticks to all 3 components therefore I can conclude this is a quality chromed metal piece on the front of the car, (again it came from Trident-parts.com). S-

·
Registered
744 Posts
Fair enough. I accept the result of your test and stand corrected.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well it's an interesting question you posed and i understand that it varies from plastic to metal depending on where you get it from and what model - i'd also like to get one for the rear, so this is a good parameter to clarify once I find one - glad you brought it up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guys, there is a much more economical way to do this. When I bought my 02 Spyder one of the first thing I wanted to do (but still havent done yet due to laziness) was to put a chrome grille on the front and add chrome mesh to the opening in the rear.

A local custom shop (you know, Pimp My Ride type of place) should be able to do this for a couple hundred or less or if you're a little creative you can do it yourself. All you need to do is purchase chromed mesh off eBay or any aftermarket auto parts store in a big enough sheet or a roll. You can go cheap and spend like $20 on the gutter guard chromed stuff (which you can actually buy at Home Depot), but considering this is a Maserati and not a Civic it wouldn't look halfway as nice. There are some very nice options out there for nice looking thick chromed mesh that looks very close to the OEM vintage package stuff.

Pop off the clips in your front bumper, remove the stock grille and attach the new mesh to the bumper. I haven't actually done it yet so I can't confirm the results, but when I took it to the shop thats done all my cars they said it would be super simple (not sure if they're using existing clips or drilling new holes to attach it with).

Another option for mesh you might want to consider is buying a Chrysler 300C mesh grille. You can get these for very cheap and they have some excellent quality mesh. Very thick and durable chrome that looks similar to the mesh used on Bentley GTs. Cut and trim this to size and you're in business.

For those that want to spend upwards of $1000 on the OEM stuff go ahead, but just want to let those know there are just as good economical options out there! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well OCA thx for the input - probably work great for many here but i would just say this to that...the pimp my ride shops in LA or MIA might be great for this stuff, (tho I'd still be leery and skeptical that the cost for a qualified shop to do that kind of custom work for a car of this stature would be damn close or more to just buying the real thing and having it done "properly" and they'd take longer to do it), but here in NC there are not many if any shops you'd want custom pimping a Maserati with in house fabrication, (they'd be awesome for your escalade or mustang tho)...and the home depot screen and chopping up other cars parts options for me personally....lol....i wouldn't have a clue where to start nor the time time to fig it all out if i did - great advice for DIY'ers for sure tho.. but frankly under your parameters i wouldn't change a thing and that grand was money well spent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts