Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with the chrome trim (bezels) around the air conditioning vents - its starting to flake off. This is an 04 Coupe. Has anyone else encountered this problem or any idea as to its cause? I'm going to try and get them replaced under warranty, but my dealer needs to get the rep from Maserati NA to give him the OK first.

·
Registered
660 Posts
4 of the 6 in mine got replaced too. Yep, it's a common problem (Italians are not the best at chroming parts...) You should get them replaced under warranty, no Qs asked.

Ed

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Guys,

I think what's happening is that the oil used to lubricate the vent sleeve is pooling at the bottom, and softening the crome finish. I'm not sure there is anything that really can be done short of replacement, or taking them out and finishing the process by making them all black.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, this does beg the question, are the new ones performing any better than the originals? If chrome failure is a common problem has anyone looked for some alternatives - or should I just plan on chucking some lumps of stainless in my lathe in 2 years time when my cars out of warranty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't worry, this one is a cheapo spare, if needs calls again for a replacement... :D

Only issue is finding them on stock... with the new Coupe on the roll soon, and Maser policy of keeping stocks kinda low (esp. of trim parts) I have sourced 3 extra spares, just in case.

I think Frankie might be right: could be the oil used to lubricate 'em what's causing the chrome to eventually melt.

·
Registered
773 Posts
plating, all years?

have not noticed my o2 with the same problem, do not clean and polish. maybe a combo problem, maintainance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Replaced under warranty as well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts