Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I made the mistake recently of starting my 3200GT without waiting for the startup checks to complete (easily done, I own a couple of other cars).

Now my 'check engine' warning light comes on intermittently.

Is this something I need to worry about, or should I just get it reset at the next service?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Reset it at the dealer or just take it to a local auto parts store and have them reset it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NAPerformance said:
Reset it at the dealer or just take it to a local auto parts store and have them reset it.
thanks, will do.

Is this something that will happen every time I forget to wait for the checking sequence to complete? I haven't done it since, but I've got a couple of other cars so there's a reasonable chance I may forget again ...
:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
qpad said:
NAPerformance said:
Reset it at the dealer or just take it to a local auto parts store and have them reset it.
thanks, will do.

Is this something that will happen every time I forget to wait for the checking sequence to complete? I haven't done it since, but I've got a couple of other cars so there's a reasonable chance I may forget again ...
:roll:
I have no idea my car is a 4200 but regardless with the OBD2 scanner tool it takes maybe 30 seconds to reset it. If it's that big of a deal you can buy one online for $100-150. Not sure how it works with euro cars though, perhaps a 3200 owner can chime in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Slight update, I have now bought OBDII scan tool software and adapter, however I am struggling to find the OBD socket in my 3200GT. Can anyone assist with the location?

Thanks in advance

qpad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Under the steering wheel area above the floor mats is where it's at in my 02 Spyder 4200. I'll take a picture later, I'm not at the office right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be brilliant, thanks.

The tool I have bought is for an 18 pin socket, so I am praying that this matches my 3200GT (2000 reg) - otherwise I've wasted my money. :roll:

I notice now that the 'check engine' light problem is intermittent, only coming on in heavy traffic, so I suspect that there is a genuine problem that needs addressing rather than a simple OBDII reset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
qpad said:
That would be brilliant, thanks.

The tool I have bought is for an 18 pin socket, so I am praying that this matches my 3200GT (2000 reg) - otherwise I've wasted my money. :roll:

I notice now that the 'check engine' light problem is intermittent, only coming on in heavy traffic, so I suspect that there is a genuine problem that needs addressing rather than a simple OBDII reset.
I'll see if I can snap a pic sometme, relative took my digital camera on vacation to Canada with them.

The OBDII scanner will tell you what engine code it's reading and what the problem is. It's funny my check engine light was nothing more then the gas cap being a little loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NAPerformance said:
The OBDII scanner will tell you what engine code it's reading and what the problem is. It's funny my check engine light was nothing more then the gas cap being a little loose.
Yep, I'm hoping that mine is something along those lines. I'm loathe to believe that it is anything more serious as the car was in the dealership for a campaign prior to purchase (July), and with the car warrantied, there seems little reason for the previous owner to not get it seen to.

The fact that it comes on intermittently, and normally when the engine is getting hot does make me wonder though ...

As you say, all will become clear once the diagnostic tool is plugged in.

Thanks for your help.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
haha
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top