Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 GS: when I turn the car on, the check engine light stays on much longer than others, maybe 10 seconds or so (all others go out right after I start the car), then eventually goes out on its own (whether I let the car sit or start pulling away). Anything I need to be worried about?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Nothing to worry about, as long as it goes out. Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The check engine light on the Masers do that. It takes a while for the electronics to complete all checks and then it goes out. Technician told me if it stays on longer than 2 minutes, or does not go out at all - you have a problem otherwise don't worry - all good. The display on my Quattroporte tells me about 15 seconds before the check engine light goes out that all "Checks are OK".

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had my check engine light, or as Maserati calls it, the OBD II (on board diagnostics) light come on and stay on in my 05 GS. It drove a little rough, seemed to use more gas than normal, and I smelled gas inside the cockpit. I brought it in this morning, and the dealership found an internal gas cap (not sure what this is) loose, which is not safe. They diagnosed the problem and fixed it for free. Moral of the story is to definitely check out your car if the OBD light stays on.

I was used to my check engine light on the BMW and Toyota which just meant, "take your car in for a routine maintenance and pay someone $500 to turn the light off".

·
Registered
249 Posts
Moral of the story is to have your car checked if you smell gas in the cockpit.

I have had the light come on and stay on for days and then go out. Later when I take it to dealer for service there is no report of any problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that's a great relief. As I said, it does not stay on but takes about 10-15 sec to go out after start-up. No Bogey, glad to hear it was an easy fix.

I think I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and make friends with the service manager.. eh, honey, I mean, discuss the appropriate service schedule so that you don't have to do a thing yourself.. :D (except for wash it, of course!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I cannot hurt to have the computer reset. I had some CEL issues due to a broken gas cap when I bought my car. The new cap and a computer reset did wonders for the performance and throttle response. The guys at Ferrari of Houston are great. The service manager, Giuseppe DiBlasio, is very nice, if you can catch him in a free moment.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts