Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum so please forgive me if i asked some silly question.:wink2:
I have just purchased a 2007 maserati gt not long ago for my wife and the previous owner have changed the whole exhaust system and have full DMC carbon bodykit.
Just recently, i have the yellow check engine light keep coming up, I have popped into one of my friend's shop and had it scanned and cleared but it just keep coming back on like a day or two later. The car drives well apart from a little hissing sound from the engine bay while idling, which my friend said it was the vibration caused by the aftermarket exhaust.
It is a little annoying to have that engine light showing every time i start the car, so just wondering is there anyway to fix it myself or maybe bypass??

Really appreciated!
:smile2:

·
Registered
178 Posts
The scanner you used to turn off the light should also let you know where approximately the problem is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i believe most check engine lights are emission related so it could be an oxygen sensor or catalyst issue. maybe new exhaust system bypassed one or the other. if so, i would get it corrected.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You need to pull the code(s) and any pending code(s) and report back. Resetting the light does not fix the problem - it will continue to come back. Once we have the code(s) and can then begin to offer you guidance :)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,643 Posts
First , keep in mind the check engine light in these cars ( unlike 99% of al other cars out there ) stays on for a full 18 seconds after starting the engine, which may seem like forever and make you think something may be wrong, but it's normal / designed that way . However, it should not come up at any other time whole you're driving the car , which seem to be the case unless I'm misreading the post . There could be various things which trigger that light , the more common of which is a bad ( or just starting to go bad ) oxygen sensor , if your car vibrates too much a knock sensor can trigger that light to come on intermittently , and even simple things like the gas tank cap not being well set and sealed after you fill up . Try that last one first before anything else .. But yes, the diagnostic tool used for the reset should have all the fault codes which can identify what's causing your problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i believe most check engine lights are emission related so it could be an oxygen sensor or catalyst issue. maybe new exhaust system bypassed one or the other. if so, i would get it corrected.
emissions related per say, MIL are commanded on under any circumstance that'll effect emissions of the vehicle. however, many things can cause that. a lot. everything from running leak from a vacuum leak to running rich from a leaking injector. misfires for whatever cause result in unburnt fuel in the exhaust raising emissions.

considering there is a hiss, you may have an exhaust leak resulting in improper readings from one or more of 4 oxygen sensors.

·
Super Moderator
4,503 Posts
Get the guy with the reader to pull the code. Anything else is just guesswork

C

·
Registered
2 Posts
emissions related per say, MIL are commanded on under any circumstance that'll effect emissions of the vehicle. however, many things can cause that. a lot. everything from running leak from a vacuum leak to running rich from a leaking injector. misfires for whatever cause result in unburnt fuel in the exhaust raising emissions.

considering there is a hiss, you may have an exhaust leak resulting in improper readings from one or more of 4 oxygen sensors.
Hey my chekc engine turned on and when I checked it says it was running rich , what would be my next steps yo

4,694 Posts
You could post in the correct section for what model you own and list the fault codes would be you best bet...Plus list the the actual fault codes...Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts