Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became the owner of 2003 Cambiocorsa Coupe. I've always wanted one, and after years of wanting (and reading this forum), I decided to go for it. It came with a solid carfax, and from all appearances looks to be a well maintained vehicle. The dealer I bought the car from replaced the plugs and coils before I picked it up because during the presale inspection, they detected a slight miss. The plugs and coils seemed to do it and all was well. After taking delivery, I drove the car for a few miles and everything seemed fine. The next day I planned on driving about 100 miles and after about 20, the Check Engine light started flashing. Then it would go off..then it would start flashing again. I was trying to gauge what was making it flash but there seemed to be no consistency. After another 10 miles or so it would stay on...then it would flash a few times...then stay on. I cancelled my trip as I was afraid to cause serious damage to anything. By the time I made it home, the light seemed to just stay on, only flashing occasionally. I turned it off for about an hour....started it back up and went for about a 10 mile ride...the engine light stayed on and only flashed a few times. The car sounds, feels and runs just fine. Any ideas? One other thing...the fuel door worked fine on Sat...on Sunday, I push the button and nothing. I've had to open the trunk and pull the cord in the battery compartment. Any ideas on this issue would also be a help. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Get a code reader and see what the code is for the engine.
For the gas cap the switches are known weak point so that'll need to be checked with the basics like the fuse and power to the solenoid lock.

C

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just became the owner of 2003 Cambiocorsa Coupe. I've always wanted one, and after years of wanting (and reading this forum), I decided to go for it. It came with a solid carfax, and from all appearances looks to be a well maintained vehicle. The dealer I bought the car from replaced the plugs and coils before I picked it up because during the presale inspection, they detected a slight miss. The plugs and coils seemed to do it and all was well. After taking delivery, I drove the car for a few miles and everything seemed fine. The next day I planned on driving about 100 miles and after about 20, the Check Engine light started flashing. Then it would go off..then it would start flashing again. I was trying to gauge what was making it flash but there seemed to be no consistency. After another 10 miles or so it would stay on...then it would flash a few times...then stay on. I cancelled my trip as I was afraid to cause serious damage to anything. By the time I made it home, the light seemed to just stay on, only flashing occasionally. I turned it off for about an hour....started it back up and went for about a 10 mile ride...the engine light stayed on and only flashed a few times. The car sounds, feels and runs just fine. Any ideas? One other thing...the fuel door worked fine on Sat...on Sunday, I push the button and nothing. I've had to open the trunk and pull the cord in the battery compartment. Any ideas on this issue would also be a help. Please let me know. Thanks.
Congratulations on your new purchase - everyone on here knows that I am the least technically a stout to be giving advice advice....next to hooking up a “code” reader - do you know if the car had been drive a lot prior to your purchase? My car sat for almost a year and had Salome weird mechanical gremlins that were sorted out by driving her everyday as well as turning off/on the battery. Not sure if you’ve tried this or not?

Hooe all is well and post some pictures if you can.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
97 Posts
First, welcome aboard! I’m also a fairly novice Masi owner, have had my 2004 Coupe for just two years. I’ve spent quite a bit of time chasing gremlins, and you have come to the right place.
For the fuel flap release power, it’s fuse 29 in the right most fuse holder under the passenger side carpet. If your interior lights are working, it’s not the fuse, it’s a solenoid. If you don’t have a manual, PM me and I’ll send you a PDF copy.
For the engine code, a code reader is a necessary accessory with these cars.
A common upgrade from a basic code reader is a device that can clear codes, and make some adjustments without going to the shop. Look up the Launch X431 pro mini. It’s a Chinese device, so the documentation is sketchy, but it’s quite widely used as it’s price is reasonable compared to the dealer alternative.
Again, hit me up with any questions about tools and such, as my “newbie” experience is still quite fresh.
All that said, you’re going to love this car!
Now feed the beast and post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2004 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa
23 Posts
Todd: As another newbie on the scene, I greatly appreciated your comments above. Thank you! I bought my Spyder CC convertible in late December of 20 and so far I haven't even laid eyes on her...my wife says we will call her Gina. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about these cars before we actually pick up "Gina" in mid-May and begin my turn at "chasing gremlins". For that, this forum has been a good source for learning. Someplace, in some posting, I saw a recommendation for a Foxwell NT510 Code Reader. I see that you have had good experience with the Launch X431 pro mini. As a complete novice, I wonder if you could tell me about any differences you may know about and/or why you favor Launch. Obviously price is a consideration. Many thanks for your reply.

Kendal

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Foxwell is one vehicle specific, while the Launch can be used on over 100 different makes, and it can be used to adjust the clutch PIS on the F1 cars.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Foxwell is one manufacturer specific, while the Launch can be used on over 100 different makes, and it can be used to adjust the clutch PIS on the F1 cars.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Great reply! Thank you. Adjusting the PIS is probably not something this 81-year-old will attempt without a knowledgeable person standing at my elbow coaching me.

Kendal

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm only 80, it's nice to know someone on the forum is older than I am. As far as needing tech support, there are several members who would be happy to walk you through any procedure you need help with.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hey! Nice to hear from a brother in the pan. Your reassurance brings comfort to a man who is a lot more comfortable around a ‘48 Chevy. But I’m trainable, just ask my wife. I certainly have noticed those on the forum who are very knowledgeable and kind enough to share. Thank you, you’ve given me much to look forward to.

Kendal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to everyone who chimed in and offered advice. I took the day off because no way was I going to get any work done at my desk, knowing my CC Coupe was sitting home in the garage in need of something. I went and bought a code reader. It's a cheap one and I will certainly upgrade to the Launch mentioned by Todd, later this week but it did give me two codes. One indicating a misfire on Cyl 3 and the other was P2097 indicating a rich fuel to air mix. With that said, the dealer replaced the plugs and coils before shipping it to me because they detected the miss during the presale inspection so I'm curious as to what could be causing it to miss again so soon. They tell me it's a common occurrence with these vehicles. They've also offered to take care of the repair if necessary which was nice of them. I was thinking of possibly moving the coil from #3 to another Cylinder to see of the miss follows. Then maybe I can bank on a new coil and all will be well. It was just a thought.

I have no illusions about what about I've gotten myself into. I am fully prepared to chase down whatever "Gremlin" shows up. I owned a Triumph Spitfire for a while so believe me, patience is a skill I've mastered. From everything I've read, these are great cars but even so, I do not plan on it being a daily driver... once the "I finally got a Maserati" grin wears off ...until then I'm driving it everywhere including the mailbox which is only about 50 yards away! I have another vehicle for everyday use. Damn...sorry..back to the car.

From what I understand the car was driven fairly regularly up until about 1 year ago. It looks like it sat for most of the last year with only the occasional start up and short ride to keep things lubricated and the battery charged. The dealer finally talked the owner out of it...or so he says. It has 74k miles on it and the clutch was replaced at 57k. The current reading says it has 65% life left. On one hand I was a little concerned with the miles because I've seen so many with 20 and 30k miles on them but I've been told that a low mileage almost 20 year old car can be more trouble than one with higher miles and a consistent maintenance history. I'm hoping the philosophy of "these cars are made to be driven" is true because mine has definitely been driven but I do not think overly so. It was also at what I believe was a rock bottom price. I paid cash in the low teens so I think I made out OK. The interior is damn near perfect, except for the sticky button syndrome which is not as bad as some other cars I've seen. The exterior is decent. The only thing that plucks my nerves is the clear bra has two spots on the hood where it ends that seem to be peeling slightly. You can see two small white spots where it's pulled away from the paint/hood. If anyone has a fix for that, I'm all ears. I do have another question. On the center console just below where the mirror controls are located is a round button with an illuminated green ring around it. You can push it in and it stays in...you push it again and it comes out but I can't seem to figure out what it does because nothing happens that I can see. Any ideas?

I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow....thanks again for all of the advice. I'm happy to finally become part of this amazing group!

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
97 Posts
Well done on the initial code read. Sounds like a good plan to try to move the fault to verify.

Sticky buttons. Hunt down a gentleman on here called Lorenzo. He completely refurbished sticky buttons to better than new condition.

Your green light button... got a picture? I don’t think I have that button at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey! Nice to hear from a brother in the pan. Your reassurance brings comfort to a man who is a lot more comfortable around a ‘48 Chevy. But I’m trainable, just ask my wife. I certainly have noticed those on the forum who are very knowledgeable and kind enough to share. Thank you, you’ve given me much to look forward to.

Kendal
Oh Man— who let a bunch of old farts in?! There goes the neighborhood... (I’m 67)! You’ll love your car— sort gremlins as they appear and don’t look back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2002 had a CEL until I replaced a faulty oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WATCH THAT FLASHING ENGINE LIGHT! Stop driving ASAP and tow. If its flashing its potentially dumping raw fuel into your cat(s). Makes for a nasty and big expense. Ask how I know on my 2004 Jaguar XKR.

·
Registered
732 Posts
P2097

You're chasing an exhaust leak in all likelihood.

Look for cracked hoses around the intake and leading to the headers - a smoke test would be super handy here.
Look for backed out bolts under the car at the headers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well done on the initial code read. Sounds like a good plan to try to move the fault to verify.

Sticky buttons. Hunt down a gentleman on here called Lorenzo. He completely refurbished sticky buttons to better than new condition.

Your green light button... got a picture? I don’t think I have that button at all!

Yeah, that button with illuminated ring is curious... nothing like that on my ‘03 six-speed. I’ve seen a cigarette lighter configuration something like that on other cars, but not our model of Mas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Coupé from 2006, and have the same problem for years. I went once to my Maserati garage and they checked with an RS232 device to catch the alert content. It appeared that there was "possibly" a problem with one of the lambda sensor. The garage told me I do not have to worry since it happens all the time on various Maserati & Alfa Romeo models using the same sensors.
Also, since more than 10 years now, so as to remove the alert from the dashboard, I cut the general battery power for 5' (that can be found in the right part of the trunk). This clears the alert message. To be noticed: I have to repeat that fix every 150-200 miles (in average).
Should you have a more frequent alert, I would go and have a maserati or alfa romeo garage to do a standard check with the appropriate device !
Regards

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
19 Posts
Did you check the spark plug gap and torque?
it should be around 10 not 20.
one of the mechanic over torqued the spark plug and I had a check engine light flashing along with "slow down!" warning light. OBD recorded misfire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spoke with the dealer who sold me the car. He says this issue, while not an everyday thing, it is not exactly an unusual occurrence for these cars. He suggested a local independent shop and he will take care of the bill for me. That's cool considering I bought the car "as-is". I found a shop that isn't afraid of it and will hopefully have it dealt with this week. I certainly hope so because I LOVE THIS CAR......I mean I seriously love this car. I want to move my mattress to the garage so I can sleep near it...I want to have sex with it!.... I want to spend the rest of my life with this car!........oh yea....here is a picture of the button with the illuminated green ring around it. You push it in and it stays in...push it again and it comes out like a cigarette lighter but in our out, I can't see anything happening...no new lights coming on, or compartment opening etc. Anyone have any ideas? and thank you! I'm really glad I found such a great group of Maserati fans. I hope to learn quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts