Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pirelli P Zero rosso tires are wearing on the inside of the front tires faster than the middles. Car is a new 2006 coupe under warranty. Can the dealer change the camber so that the wear is longer? Or, is messing with the factory settings not advisable? Have you done this? Thanks, -Bob.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The front camber is adjustable with shims in the upper A-arms, where the ball joint bolts to the arm. Uneven wear can be caused by camber or toe or both. Are you sure you are in spec with the factory settings to begin with. Is your ride height lowered? If so, the camber probably is out of spec. Remember, changes will affect handling as well as tire wear. If you are deviating from factory settings, a pyrometer (thermometer) can be used to measure temperature across different sections of the tread to check for even heating after a run.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fastfreddy

Hi and thanks Fastfreddy. My settings are absoultely factory set, no changes and not lowered. -Bob.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think factory setting is already compromise. If you change the camber to get longer tires' life, it will effect the handling of the car. You car will take corner worse. For me, I change the camber to be more aggressive. The tires wear out faster but I still get more than 10K. I think it is acceptable at this rate. My previous car, the tires wear out in less than 5k.
pganmol

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hi and thanks Fastfreddy. My settings are absoultely factory set, no changes and not lowered. -Bob.
The inner edge tire wear is normal for factory alignment specs. You might consider "flipping" the front tires on the wheels (and then swapping side to side)at 6,000-8,000 miles. I should have done this, but wound up having to replace my tires.

Personally I like the factory alignment and negative camber, and am willing to live with the tire wear issues.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You can't swap the tires. Not front to back, nor side to side... the tread is set up like that.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport

(edit sorry I was thinking of the Michelins....not the Pirellis)

On the Michelin PS's (original OEM tire) you can, they are directional but not asymmetric. ie they have to roll the correct direction but can be mounted either side of the car. (obviously you need to flip them on the wheels when you swap the wheels side to side)

Only tires that are asymmetric AND directional can't be swapped side to side.

The PS2 and PZero's are asymmetric, but not directional. Meaning you can swap them side to side, but not flip them on the rims, and that won't solve the wear issue because the insides will always be the insides, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a smimilar issue and had to change out the OEM PZero's at 7K miles. Dealer suggested a less aggresive alignment which came out very poorly from a handling front. Went back to factory setting right away.

If you are looking for some tires that lasts longer you might try a different brand. The PZero's are much stickier for better conering and stopping but apparently wear less well than the Michelin PS/2. I can attest to the first two and so far, looks like they will last longer than the Pirelli's. The Michelins also ride a bit more comfortably. However, the performance impact is quite significant in my experience and given the choice, would go back to the PZero's and live with the tire wear and harsher ride.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a smimilar issue and had to change out the OEM PZero's at 7K miles. Dealer suggested a less aggresive alignment which came out very poorly from a handling front. Went back to factory setting right away.
Do you know what those factory settings are?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just searched this forum and found this post. I have the same exact issue with my 2012 GT which I bought CPO'd a year ago. 4 months after I bought it, I notice it pulls to the right. It took the dealer three times to finally get it right and I had to pay $450 for alignment as it was not covered after three months. After the alignment, the car drove straight like arrow. But now after less than 6K miles later, I noticed wires on the inner walls of the front tires! The tires look like the have at least 75% left. I am so pissed that I paid $450 for alignment 4 month after I bought the car, and I only put 7K miles on the car from the time I bought it and now I have to pay for a set of two expensive tires plus the cost of another alignment too. Can I hold the dealer responsible to pay for the cost? I understand that the alignment warranty is only good for three months, but it would take longer than three months for bad alignment symptoms to manifest itself. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can rotate the tyres you need to remove them from rim and swap so they spin in the same direction marked on tyre. Have done this with my BMW 645. As the rears wear on inside edge. Costs about $40. Only thing is you need caring fitter to look after yr rims and wheel nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts