Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've been a quite observer of this forum for quiet a while now. It has convinced me to consider buying a used GT over a used 996. I just sold my e46 M3 and want something in comparable performance.
There is a great deal on an 02 six speed, but I was wondering what kind of mechanical changes were made in 03 and 04.
thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have an 02 GT, and the most significant difference seems to be the transmission. Although no specific changes have been published on this site, the shift linkage seems to be different. Shifting "smoothness" in the 03 seems to be improved compared to the 02, in 1st and 2nd gear. Most dealers and mechanics I have spoken with will confirm this. There is no difference in the clutch or syncros, however. If you are satisfied with shifting the 02, I wouldn't hesitate. There are no major mechanical differences in a Coupe GT between the 2 years. The Spyder GT did have some additional structural support added in 03.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks iu,
Would you say you are satisfied with the 1-2 change on your manual. I test drove the '02 and ended up missing 2nd 50% of the time on a quick change, but, I've heard that this is not an issue as you become better accustomed with the tranny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
STARDOC said:
Thanks iu,
Would you say you are satisfied with the 1-2 change on your manual. I test drove the '02 and ended up missing 2nd 50% of the time on a quick change, but, I've heard that this is not an issue as you become better accustomed with the tranny.
Tranny?! A man who dresses as a woman - have fun mate.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
STARDOC said:
Thanks iu,
I would say that the 1-2 change is more like my mother-in-law. I am satisfied with it, but it is constantly reminding me that the relationship between my car and me takes work. I have driven 1500 miles and I am still not accustomed to it.

Thankfully, I am not accustomed to other "trannys" either.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe, didn't realize that putting 'change' and 'tranny' in the same sentence could go 'both ways', oops there I go again.
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll go for a later production '02 or '03.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have no idea what a "tang" is but I thought I read somewhere that the clutches were changed from a one tang to a two tang. After ordering my 2004 GT I got worried that I made a mistake as I did not drive one first and then read some negative reviews on them. seems everything I read were from MY2002 cars and they must of addressed issues as I find my car to shift just great. While it does not shift with the ease of my Honda S2000 I find you really learn how to shift with this car and you do have to think a little, But after two years of being bored with my M3 with SMG, this exactly what I was looking for. My advise would be get at least a 2003

·
Registered
32 Posts
There were ZERO updates that took place from the 2002 COUPE GT to the 2003 COUPE GT...all the updates ie fuel line connectors and steering bolts applied to 2002, 2003 and earlyt 2004 cars. the 2002 COUPE GT is the only 2002 car that did not recieve any updates to it. The Spyder became stiffer, and if the car had CC than it got a few software updates. Hope this clears this up. Oh and the single/dual tang clutch only applies to CC cars.

·
Registered
909 Posts
here is a little picture i found of a four tang and an eight tang clutch (something i had originally heard of from gokarts...)

this is a traditional car clutch:

The difference is that the traditional car clutch is spun from the middle and there is only one disc, whereas motorcycles, and gokarts, and i believe these masers, use more than one disc. (i could be wrong on this though, i dont remember looking into this specifically)

- mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing