Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the FD module. The taps and splices were a bit fiddly but possible for an amateur. Car functions just fine in bypass mode but when I plug in the DBW harness the car starts but the gears will not engage and the throttle is totally unresponsive. Couldn’t see a wire in the wrong place but clearly have done something wrong. Thoughts?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Installed the FD module. The taps and splices were a bit fiddly but possible for an amateur. Car functions just fine in bypass mode but when I plug in the DBW harness the car starts but the gears will not engage and the throttle is totally unresponsive. Couldn’t see a wire in the wrong place but clearly have done something wrong. Thoughts?
Is this a new module? It sounds like the module isn't getting power but I wouldn't assume you've done something wrong. Particularly given the car functions properly when using the bypass plug. The FD harness, imo, is a fairly average design and I'd start by looking at a loose pin in one of the connectors. 12V or earth would be my guess.

7,622 Posts
You need to go back and make sure you are spliced and tapped into the correct wires...I usually find the wire color and then use the chart and confirm the two wires next that pin to confirm I'm connected to the right one...Jason

·
Registered
324 Posts
Easier to check at the connector with a voltmeter - particularly if the ecu & loom have been refitted & taped. The bypass loops back the TPS connections - which appear to be working fine. Which only leaves 12V, earth and speed sensor connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It’s a new unit. I’ve got a multimeter somewhere and will check for faults and then triple check I’ve got the right splices. Counted up, matched the colors, double checked. Then unpicked the solders and checked again but potentially have one wrong. Rats nest of eyes down there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which pins matter. If I recall correctly, my instruction sheet from FD had some different colors for wires than the correct pins in the car cable bundle (factory at fault, not FD). The other unknown would be the chip from FD being bad. It could happen.

All of this assumes you are installing the one chip & harness for the chip that improves driveability, not the 2-chip variety that adds a touch more power.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Don’t think your alone with issues with the DBW systems. I too ran into troubles after completing the installation. And like you, my car ran fine in the by-pass mode. It would drive for a few miles in the DBW “on position”, but then go into “Limp Mode” and I would have to pull over and disconnect the harness to drive the car! It turned out that there was a wire from the module to the first plug that was not connected or crimped into the plug. I’ll try to attach a picture of the plug. May not be your issue, but a place to start looking!
Reach out to Jeff at Formula Dynamics, he was great to deal with and fixed my issue quickly.
please let us all know what you find, good luck, Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Fixed it. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. In the end mostly user error, partially OEM wiring (not FD). Counted the wires up and tried to match pin outs to wire colors. Checked and double-checked. Spliced into the wrong wire. Turns out the wiring harness had a different colour than the instructions, both FD and other users on here.

Lesson: triple check next time.

Working fine, noticeable difference to vehicle feel. Need to find the best spot to seat the button.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fixed it. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. In the end mostly user error, partially OEM wiring (not FD). Counted the wires up and tried to match pin outs to wire colors. Checked and double-checked. Spliced into the wrong wire. Turns out the wiring harness had a different colour than the instructions, but FD and other users on here.

Lesson: triple check next time.

Working fine, noticeable difference to vehicle feel. Need to find the best spot to seat the button.
Well done - worth the effort. You can site the button anywhere using an extension cable and spade type connectors. 6.3mm from memory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts