Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

First post for me... Great forum, huge amounts of helpful info - thanks. I am excited to be beginning the process of looking for a Maserati Coupe to buy.

I am currently focusing on 2004, 2005 or 2006 Coupe GTs with standard manual transmission, because I am a traditionalist, and because I am concerned about reliability/functionality of the CC. However, as noted in some threads, it can be hard to find a manual transmission with Skyhook...so I might be tempted to go for a CC if it means I can get Skyhook.

My two questions are:

First: did the CC's improve over time, did Maserati sort out most of the CC issues by the time the 05s and 06s were built?

Second: are there any effective suspension mods for non-Skyhook coupes (I've see FDs info about only having upgrades for Skyhook cars)?

Thanks for the help- and if you know of good low milage, Skyhook, manual Coupe for sale, let me know!

Shaun

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Welcome to the Site Shaun.

A GT Manual is a good choice, they can be found with Skyhook which I recommend however you can get them without Skyhook as well. Skyhook doesn't seem to effect the resale price that much so I would *try* to get the Skyhook.

We have developed Non-Skyhook Springs which are being tested by customers at this time. We hope to have a release on this product within 1 week.

The CC's seem to be best in '05, I woudl suggest at least an 04 as the '02's were a bit more trouble. The '06's seem to be tamed down a bit, however I don't have hard data on that, just seat of the pants feeling. The GS has much faster CC shifting than the Standard models if you can swing it, that is your best option.

Happy Hunting...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great your getting the non-Skyhook springs sorted out! That will make me feel alot more comfortable potentially "settling" for non-Skyhook manual - good news!

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
the '02's were a bit more trouble..
FD - Question - - If the clutch, F1 pump relay and software have all been changed in an '02, what's different than an '04, 05, 06 ? I was under the impression that there was no other differences. And, that the only difference with the GS is the quicker software program and that 6th gear is slightly taller for top end speed.

Really want to know if there are true differences in my '02 vs the later MY CC systems.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I *believe* that they had problems with the parts on the 02-03. So you may be safe there if you've replaced them with the new parts. I know that the software was upgraded over the years. You may not have the software upgrades ( and again I *believe* they were reluctant to provide to customers unless you did upgrade hardware ). You can always check with your dealer, just a quick hookup with their equipment to the TCU will tell them.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
I *believe* that they had problems with the parts on the 02-03.
Agreed - this is what I understand, e.g., the '02's had a single tang clutch - all replacements were the double tang with other required changes. My F1 pump was also just changed with a new factory unit - so, per my discussion with the mechanic, the CC is the same as a later MY.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The GS CC does a reasonably nice job of things, especially in sport mode, depending on the kind of driving you find yourself doing. I wouldn't be afraid of it if the option is available to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
02 Software program

I took my 02 coupe to the dealer and he said he'd reprogram it for free. However, he said most people thought the 02 program was better than the 03 program so I left it like it was. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had heard the 02 shifting was more abrupt.

They revised the software quite a lot in 04, from memory.

My 05 CC had some issues which were "parameter tuned" out by the dealer, and it also received an update. It is basically perfect now.

Many people say the GT shift is a bit rubbery (because it is cable?)

If you can live with the cost of clutch and F1 pump changes every couple of years, then the CC is fine. Mine drives great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts