Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was Curious About Bmw's Smg On The 06 M3's They Say The Clutch System Is Good For Almost 100k, I Do Know People That Have Them, Is It Because Of Less Horsepower,lighter Weight And Quicker Shift Points. I Will Probably Go With The Dbw After The Warranty Expires Because That Will Void Any Remaining Warranty. I Am A Little Concerned Because I Am Adding Another Coupe To The StabLe With A 2 Year Warranty.

06 Qp Sport Cc
06 Gs Spyder Cc
06 Gs Coupe Cc (incoming)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
good review.

the SMG clutches do last forever though, just wondering why the last forever and a CC will last about a 1/4 to 1/2 half as long
Well there's a big difference in the technology. the SMG has two clutches, the standard Maserati has one. The CC in the Maserati comes directly from old formula 1 technology in a Ferrari race car where they really don't care about clutch life and the SMG comes from a production car made to go on the street. The new Ferrari California has the same SMG as the BMW, Getrag, the clutches will last as long although IMHO there isn't a BMW made that can compare to the new Ferrari... So the SMG uses two clutches, which allows for less wear, less abrupt on the shifts, smoother transistion from a stop while the Maserati doesn't. The closest you will find to a SMG in a Maserati today is in the Gran Turismo and the new QP which has the last years Ferrari superfast transmission and clutch which was first put in the 430 Scud. Both Ferrari and Maserati have always been weak in the transmission department, but never so in the suspension, looks or power department. Of course they are not weak in the F1 department either, which is the only reason Ferrari ever built cars which was to support their F1 team, whereas BMW has never been competitive in F1 and has always built a good solid street automobile.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NO GRNDLK THATS THE DSG DUAL CLUTCH GETRAG OR BORG WARNER, THE EARLIER M3 AND M6 s' HAVE THE SMG. I THINK THERE BOTH MAGNETTI MARELLI BUT WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE DIFFERENCE LIES.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The main difference was stated that a SMG is a dual clutch set up. Most SMG's are wet clutches. That is why they last so long. The Veyron is a SMG with a twin wet clutch set up. It is a great gearbox. The Scuderia has a twin wet clutch set up also. I have been informed that the Scuderia is not a dsg/smg type transmission. The incredible shift times are achived with a new shift actuator and programming.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
NO GRNDLK THATS THE DSG DUAL CLUTCH GETRAG OR BORG WARNER, THE EARLIER M3 AND M6 s' HAVE THE SMG. I THINK THERE BOTH MAGNETTI MARELLI BUT WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE DIFFERENCE LIES.
BMW has never used, nor will never use Magnetti Marelli parts... Bosch yes, but not Magnetti Marelli.. BTW, the original BMW SMG clutches did have some of the same problems as the Maserati does, but were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Graziano is not Magnetti Marelli... You said Magnetti Marelli. Magnetti Marelli doesn't even build transmissions they build electronics and other power train parts but not transmissions. BTW Bosch and MM were at one time the same company, back before WWII. Graziano has nothing to do with MM, they are owned by Sauer, as in Sig Sauer the swiss firm more famous for making guns.

Another interesting item is that the prancing horse from Ferrari that belonged to the Count Baracca is the same horse on the city gates of Stuttgart which means stud garden which is where the count's family got their horses.. F1 is all about the same rich familys that started racing cars instead of horses...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Your'e Right But MM Makes The Software For Maserati But Maybe Siemens Makes It For Bmw

06 Qp Sport
06 GS SPYDER
06 GS COUPE (INCOMING)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes Your'e Right But MM Makes The Software For Maserati But Maybe Siemens Makes It For Bmw
06 Qp Sport
06 GS SPYDER
06 GS COUPE (INCOMING)
Yes MM also supplies the F1 pump, the electronics other than the ECU which is bosch in our Maserati's

·
Registered
824 Posts
Go take a look at the M5 boards - plenty of SMG/clutch issues there. (search for "launch control")

SMG shifts a little faster (sequential transmission) but the clutch setup is still a weak link. The new BMW DSG setup seems better.

I test drove an 08 M5, very much like driving the CC, right down to the jerkiness in the parking lot.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Wow, did I catch this late!

In any case, there is quite a bit of good information in this thread already. Wet Clutch, Dual Plates, etc... I suppose the simple answer is that it's all in the design... from Hardware to Software these are entirely different systems that were built with very different costs / production #'s, lineage and goals in mind.

I like the SMG setup the best for an overall daily driver based on performance and reliability. However as much as the Maserati CC needs a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module, the SMG can suffer from the opposite problem, often jerky and rough. However it's been made quite reliable over time and depending on the software that was used by the manufacturer, they can be quite a good system.

The Maserati GS CC with a DBWEM though works very well! Unfortunately though, you're going to pay for the clutches.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Jeff have you had a chance to check out the new Getrag 7 Speed in the California yet? I have read a lot but haven't had a chance to see one in person...

Wow, did I catch this late!

In any case, there is quite a bit of good information in this thread already. Wet Clutch, Dual Plates, etc... I suppose the simple answer is that it's all in the design... from Hardware to Software these are entirely different systems that were built with very different costs / production #'s, lineage and goals in mind.

I like the SMG setup the best for an overall daily driver based on performance and reliability. However as much as the Maserati CC needs a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module, the SMG can suffer from the opposite problem, often jerky and rough. However it's been made quite reliable over time and depending on the software that was used by the manufacturer, they can be quite a good system.

The Maserati GS CC with a DBWEM though works very well! Unfortunately though, you're going to pay for the clutches.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
No, I haven't found my way into the new California just yet. It should be interesting to compare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pre 06 BMW SMG's were not real SMG's.They were regular manual tansmission setups retro fitted to act similar to SMG's. This did cause a lot of shifting issues early on, most of which got rectified and some accepted. The M5/M6 SMG is excellent but for conventional BMW owners is was quite different and took some time to get used to. New M3, so far so god, I know a few people who have them. Moded and tracked and still holding, some had a shifting issue that was corrected by software.

Sorry I know a lot more about BMW than Maserati but I'm learning. Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry to say it but having owned half a dozen SMG's and daily driven a Cambio. The SMG is far more superior.

That being said, I'd take the Maserati anyday. I'd rather be on the back of a tow truck with a Maserati that needs a clutch than driving around an ///M (not to say M's aren't great cars, just not comparable to Maseratis)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cc Vs. Smg

In response to the positives and negatives of the CC tranny. I do enjoy it over the conventional manual for everyday driving. The GS trans seems a lot quicker than that of the QP, weight probably a factor,that said I will probably install the DBW first on the QP or get an auto when the warranty runs out but the Spyder and GS Coupe are fabulous cars.

06 QP sport (ROCKY 1) (A LIMO DRIVER)

06 GS spider (ROCKY 2) (MARAGTE CRUISER)

06 GS coupe (ROCKY 3) (WIFE'S BIRTHDAY PRESENT)

ANTHONY LOVES ROCKY 3
ROCKY 2 IS LOUD (TUBI EXHAUST)
ROCKY 1 FAMILY RIDE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts