Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to put my '04 CC Coupe in reverse and the little plastic "T" shaped piece came off in my hand - does not appear to be broken or stripped on the male or female parts, just looked like it came unscrewed somehow - is this something I can attempt to re-attach myself, (not very mechanically inclined).

Thx.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
As long as the handle just came loose, I'm sure you're ok to do this yourself. I haven't looked at mine but, does it screw back on or is there an small allen bolt that needs to be tightened? I assume that you can still put it in fwd and rev by pulling up and back with your fingers on the post?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I can still shift it with no problem just have to grip/slightly lift the little metal bar and pull back for R and for Fwd there is no issue b'c you don't have to lift the T piece sits on the square bar fine and so it pushes fwd fine. It looks like the screw or male part which is centered in the bar, the male piece, elevates in and out maybe 1/16 " or so but it's inserted in metal square bar and the place where it would be screwed into is in the T shaped part - that's what's confusing me. Something will have to come out in order to insert the screw into the T shaped piece - were it not for that, superglue would hold it just fine but I'm sure with a Maserati superglue...lol..is probably not the answer....

Normally when there's Valet I pay extra to park myself in a Valet spot but for New Years I stayed in a place with Valet only parking and even tho I personally schooled all the guys up on exactly how the little shifter works, I'm betting they pulled up too hard and loosened this piece.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had this issue about a year after I bought my 04 coupe. It's a bit more involved than screwing on the handle to the lever.

The base plate needs to be removed to access the lever arm. But, you have to be very careful to avoid damaging/scratching the edge of the plate. The vertical portion of the lever can then be accessed to re-attach the T. I am not familiar with the prodedure to remove the lever arm. I think it is spring loaded though.

Luckily mine came off, near the time when I was due for a service and had the dealer re-install it. Generally, that is something they will check during service because it can come loose over time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Greg, I had a feeling it wasn't quite that easy - if anyone has ever put one of these pieces back on again and it's something a novice can do without risk please let me know b'c my dealership is 90 miles from my house. If it's even the least bit risky or I could royally screw something up I'd rather make the trip, I do like driving these days!

Scott

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you done a search here yet? I think I've seen a thread about it before.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thx Greg, I had a feeling it wasn't quite that easy - if anyone has ever put one of these pieces back on again and it's something a novice can do without risk please let me know b'c my dealership is 90 miles from my house. If it's even the least bit risky or I could royally screw something up I'd rather make the trip, I do like driving these days!

Scott
I drove mine for about 2 weeks without the handle. It's really more of a temporary inconvenience, but will get you in the habit of not wanting to reverse or using neutral instead...which is a good thing.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, good point Greg, it's working already!

I put in Gear Shift Piece under search and nothing came up, will keep looking but if you see anything or remember more specifically where you saw pls let me know.

Thx allot.

S-

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx allot lfoot, that's which KWood describes is exactly what happened and what I was looking for..I fig'd that screw has to be pushed up and out fwd somehow so that you can turn it tight into the T piece, I'll give it a shot....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.