Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help to date with my CC dash light coming on sometimes and then not allowing me to engage any gear. See Post "2nd day, 1st issue"

I believe I have eliminated the broken reverse gear lever as the problem. Although the lever is broken, the switch that it operates seems to work fine. This does not mean, however, that the entire microcontrol unit is not defective. I have pics of the disassembly below.

The diagnostics, I believe, are down to the following then: (1) low CC fluid; (2) Faulty Clutch switch, (3) F1 Relay (? - Unlikely since I hear the pump and the system is otherwise working perfectly.

After taking the center reverse lever unit out, I found that there are 4 pins, 2 on each side of a "field goal" piece. When you move the R lever, it simply moves the switch until it "clicks". So the lever is simply a mechanical slider, no electric. The broken pins, I suspect, is why I can "click" into reverse without lifting the lever up. So, I plugged the unit back in without the top and mechanical lever and just "clicked" the switch with my finger and took her out. Seemed to work fine, although the CC light went on and off again, as she had been doing, so unless the whole module is bad, the problem lies somewhere else. I also tried to jiggle the harness to see if it would set off the light - no cigar

I could use some help with elimination.

The first thing I would like to do is verify that the CC level is ok. Although I believe this is an under the car operation and I don't have a lift, but could probably have a local guy through it up for me for 20 minutes. Could use some detailed help on checking/topping off on this AND can someone verify that a low level would set off the CC light and stop the ECU from operating the gears.

Thanks in advance for the continuing help.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ramp, how are you doing?
Hey blueyork, thanks for asking - just got things worked out. Flatbed to FM LI. Diagnosis is that the reverse lever control unit was malfunctioning. Picking it up tomorrow. Was happy that it was just electrical as I thought. Per the service manager, there were no other codes and everything else checked out.

Was there any activity at Robert Mosses last weekend ?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal. I'm glad that's all it was!
Thanks, me too. But needed to 'discuss' the matter with the dealer I bought from regarding the $2500 repair after having the car for 24hours.

Just ordered trident badges from Eurospares. Only $20 each. Wonder how much they are from FM dealer ?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The service manager (Vinny) there will look after you, based on my 2-3 experiences with him.

Moses was pretty good. For the first time my Mas got alot of attention. I was parked away from the American muscle, so the Euro car guys were in their element. I'm off to Singapore early Sunday morning this week so won't make it this week or next, but it looks like we'll have sunny skies Saturday morning so I'll head down that way to see how much fuel I can burn up - probably be there by 7:30.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dealt with Vinny and had a good experience - I'll meet him tomorrow when I pick her up. If I'm free, I'll try and come down Saturday - is anyone down there on Saturdays or you just going for a run ? I need to talk a friend of mine to come out as well - he just picked up an F430 - haven't seen it yet.

The service manager (Vinny) there will look after you, based on my 2-3 experiences with him.

Moses was pretty good. For the first time my Mas got alot of attention. I was parked away from the American muscle, so the Euro car guys were in their element. I'm off to Singapore early Sunday morning this week so won't make it this week or next, but it looks like we'll have sunny skies Saturday morning so I'll head down that way to see how much fuel I can burn up - probably be there by 7:30.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This bites . . .

Got the car back from FM - replaced the reverse lever. They said that's definately the problem as that is all the codes that showed up. Have driven it 29 miles since I picked it up Thursday afternoon. Stuck in traffic again. Same exact issue. Transmission seems to be fine. Tranny light comes on and if she goes into neutral, she will not then go into gear. Have to reset the power.:mad:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any recourse against the seller?
Was going to try and meet you this morning but the wife told me I had other things to do. Anyway, so far the dealer I bought from has been working with me. I know this is an electrical issue but back and forth, and tows just bites. Have you ever had this type of issue ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you ever had this type of issue ?
I am having it right now... but the dealer seem to be in the mist on this issue... they are actually very embarrassed as they cannot find an explanation (they haven't for the past 2 weeks...)

Last time I spoke with them they were thinking it might be the actuator not working... so far nothing done.

When the problem occurs on your car, do you also get an engine off code?
meaning... the car doesn't restart if you turn it off?

Also, have you noticed any irregularities in the functioning of the F1 pump?

I hope we solve this issue...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When the problem occurs on your car, do you also get an engine off code?
meaning... the car doesn't restart if you turn it off?

Also, have you noticed any irregularities in the functioning of the F1 pump?
No engine light - she has no issue starting - she just will not move out of neutral when you paddle or reverse - the computer is telling her not to try and engage.

I reset and went for another spin. This time I noticed that the light came back on when I braked hard going into a turn. Wondering if it could be as simple as low fluid. Curiously, this time, making sure she did not go into neutral, I drover her home and as I was pulling into my driveway (uphill slant) the light went off and she shifts normally again.

No irregularities with the F1 that I can tell.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wondering if it could be as simple as low fluid.
Checked the fluid level - seems fine so that's not it. What a pain to get the cap off. Why they built it with the reservoir in this location is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
No engine light - she has no issue starting - she just will not move out of neutral when you paddle or reverse - the computer is telling her not to try and engage.

I reset and went for another spin. This time I noticed that the light came back on when I braked hard going into a turn. Wondering if it could be as simple as low fluid. Curiously, this time, making sure she did not go into neutral, I drover her home and as I was pulling into my driveway (uphill slant) the light went off and she shifts normally again.

No irregularities with the F1 that I can tell.
Perhaps the dreaded "intermittent connection" as the reason it comes on under braking? Would seem that the techs need to run down the checklist of what sensors/inputs would give the go/no-go on engagement and knock 'em off the list one by one...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps the dreaded "intermittent connection" as the reason it comes on under braking? Would seem that the techs need to run down the checklist of what sensors/inputs would give the go/no-go on engagement and knock 'em off the list one by one...
I have a bad feeling your right. Took her out last night and the light came on and off for no apparent reason. But if the light was on and she went to neutral, she would not go back in gear until I cleared the code.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts