Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice this? For about 5-7 minutes, the car bucks and lurches and fights. Once everything is warmed up, it is flawless. The net result is occasional misfire codes. I can't determine cause and effect, but I *think* the not-so-smooth launch is causing the misfire codes, rather than vice versa. It doesn't seem to be related to the engine being warm. If I give it 5 minutes to warm up, the cold clutch still causes the behavior.

Any insights/solutions?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<<Move to Texas or Cali>> Thought about it. :wink: Unfortunately, "cold" in this context can mean 75 degrees F. The clutch just seems to need some time before it functions properly.

Anyone want to swap a CC for a GT? :?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a bit of roughness when warming up. The car doesn't accelerate from a stop smoothly, but it bucks slightly. No error lights or anything. After a couple of blocks of driving it is smooth again. I always assumed it was the clutch warming up.
Mike

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the deal: Let it warm up. Even for just a minute or two. No issues after that.

"It hurts when I bang my head on the table". "So don't bang your head on the table".

·
Registered
660 Posts
What I do usually from a cold start is to let the engine warm-up until the revs hit 1K (on ignition it lights-up at 1.2K... and then, after 3 mins, goes down to 1K and stays there). Then I go, and usually smoothly. I get the occasional roughness, but I think that (clutch or no clutch) it is good practice to let the engine stabilize revs before taking off.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine is a bit rough until warmer up. I even get a little bit of slip / squeel as I have to pull out onto a main road at the top of my drive from a hill. Once warm it is fine. I also make a point of ensuring the oil is up to temp before wellying it.

Tim

·
Registered
722 Posts
Interesting that the service manual states that a replacement clutch must be precisely warmed up before the "kiss point" calibration. It's not surprising that, like most friction materials and mechanisms, it acts a little different when cold.

·
Registered
909 Posts
DeaneG said:
Interesting that the service manual states that a replacement clutch must be precisely warmed up before the "kiss point" calibration. It's not surprising that, like most friction materials and mechanisms, it acts a little different when cold.
I touched on this when we were talking about the person experiencing clutch slippage on a fairly new clutch. The tech actually drives the car with the computer hooked up, and when its warm goes through the calibration process. I think our clutches make the temperature differences more obvious because of their multiplate design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing