Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice regarding the warranty on catalytic converters.
As mentioned on another thread I have an intermittent CEL and misfire in three adjacent cylinders. After checking most of other possibilities, including replacing a malfunctioning fuel pump, I think we are down to the catalytic conv.

I have heard these items are covered by warranty for 8 years or 100.000km. Is this true? I have noticed some damage on the pipe passed the converter... would this be enough for maserati to void the warranty? How long does it normally take for maserati to eventually confirm or reject the coverage?

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Enrico

Sorry to hear about your problems. When I went in to the dealer with a problem cat (the car was out of warranty) they said that it would be unlikely that the cat would be covered as there are so many factors that can damage the cat that are outside of the manufacturers control. They can be damaged by going through deep puddles when hot or can be easily knocked if the car grounds and as such they are very difficult to claim for especially for a car that is a few years old.

You may have better luck with youd dealer, mine was a UK dealer and may have a different policy. However, if you do need new cats I can thoroughly recommend the new Larini sports cats which I had fitted to my Coupe before it was sold. They give a much richer sound and make a noticeable improvement to the top end, especially in 4th and 5th gears. Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you colossus,
given that my dealer has shown much heart so far I doubt they'll start now... so I will instruct my independent former official Maserati tech to take the cats down and will go from there. At this point I guess I will go for something betetr than the stock ones...
Larini is an option, FormulaDynamics is an option... what else is out there? Looking for something not too expensive...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Larini is sold by Formula Dynamics. In US.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The Larinis offer the best price/quality/performance ratio. You can get them to send the parts directly to you from the UK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larini

I have checked out Larini systems website but no sign of the catalytic converter replacement... should I look anywhere specific?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
To be honest, I ended up getting the cats from a tuner here in Japan as I didn't know until recently (through FormulaDynamics) that Larini made high performance cats. Shoot an email to Jeff ([email protected]) and he should be able to send some info over (and please, ask him to update his website!).

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have checked out Larini systems website but no sign of the catalytic converter replacement... should I look anywhere specific?
Enrico

Contact David at Larini direct and say that Carl sent you, he will sort you out. I do not believe they are part of the official line up yet but they used my car as the test bed and intend to offer the product to market. I was very pleased with the result and a pair of their sports cats should be cheaper than one OEM. Hope this helps.

Regards

Carl

·
Registered
141 Posts
Emissions warranty in the USA is 8/80 this includes the cats.
If your pipes are damaged MNA will not warranty them.
It is very easy to destroy the cats internal honeycomb core by hitting the pipes or cats. Note to everyone that the cats are close to the ground and can easily contact the pavement etc. on bottoming out- BE VERY CAREFULL!
in your case a clogged exhaust does sound possible, you can verify by removing the upper oxygen sensor and test driving to see if it still loses power.
Hope this helps-Best of luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I need some advice regarding the warranty on catalytic converters.
As mentioned on another thread I have an intermittent CEL and misfire in three adjacent cylinders. After checking most of other possibilities, including replacing a malfunctioning fuel pump, I think we are down to the catalytic conv.

I have heard these items are covered by warranty for 8 years or 100.000km. Is this true? I have noticed some damage on the pipe passed the converter... would this be enough for maserati to void the warranty? How long does it normally take for maserati to eventually confirm or reject the coverage?

Thanks for your help,
I'm assuming by your tag that this is for a spyder. Also, since the CEL is one, I would assume you are referring to the first cat. Unfortunatley, in the US, the first cat is welded into the header. The way it's designed the cat is the lowest point under the car, and it's a known problem to bottom out. The "coffee can" is standing up, and there's a 90 deg bend at the bottom, when this hits, it dents almost immediately and often breaks apart the inner honeycomb of the cat.

The honeycomb can be pulled back up into the engine through the exhaust valves or can clog up things and cause the O2 sensors to overheat. Either way, only option is to remove it and replace. If you've got a handy exhaust shop nearby you can have them cut it out and weld in an aftermarket replacement cell (I believe a stock is 400 cell, a 200 cell will still keep the O2 sensors in operating temp and keep your car emissions legal). Not sure how handy you are, but you'll probably need a shop to get the headers off the engine for you at the least. Replacement factory headers and installation at your dealer will run between $7,000-$8,000.

If for some reason you're talking about the secondary cat, those can easily be removed. Since they're after the 2nd O2 sensor, it's probably not the cause of your CEL though. I had FABSPEED cat bypass pipes on my car and noticed a nice bump in torque and exhaust tone with their product and highly recommend it.

If you've got a non US/Canada car, ignore what I said above...the headers and the first cat are actually two seperate pieces and the cat alone can be replaced without removing the headers.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We have both HP Cats by Formula Dynamics and Larini Cats. The products are different in a few ways although they are both quality replacements. I don't believe that the Larini Cats are ready for sale just yet. Feel free to email me for details and I can help you choose the right setup.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Standard non-US cats

Hello all, my car is standard so nothing welded to the headers.
My tech is now removing the cats as one was actually responsible of the rattling noise I heard on my car when cold. Curious to see what he finds inside. For a sec I thought about claiming coverage but honestly from what I've heard the chances of get it replaced under warranty are very thin and I don't feel like wasting too much time (again) I waiting for few quotations to come in and then I'll make my choice. should I do x-pipes as well since I'm at it? I'm not looking for a louder car honestly...

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The X-pipe does not increase volume very much if you still have the original mufflers at the rear of the car. That's because the stock mufflers still do a very good job of controlling the sound. Actually we've replaced a 4200 coupe customers x-pipe only and he could barely tell the difference in volume.

If you've replaced the rear mufflers with aftermarkets and then change the x-pipe, it will raise the volume quite a bit as AEJ mentioned.

Give us a call, if you're needing cats / x-pipe, we have several options and we'll make sure you get what you need to make it right.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Enrico,

My email messages to you keep bouncing... says user is over quota. Shoot me another email or address so I can get you some info that you asked for.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts