·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Cat Bottom Road... Sounds like a Blues song

LOL! True.

Or a Queen song...

I was just a naughty lad,
Want to drive a Masi bad,
And I fell in love before I took deliveryyyy...
So I sat my big fat fanny,
On those leather nooks & crannies,
V-8 engine, you made a bad boy out of me....

Aaaaaare, you gonna get me home tonight?
Ohhhhh, that speed bump didn't feel so right,
Aaaaare you gonna puke your platinum out?
Cat-Bottom-Road,
You make my cams stop spinnin' round.

:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Oh......heres the explanation.........re sucking of pieces into engine,

"The exhaust valve opens before the bottom dead center on the power stroke, in fact about 40° before the bottom so on the overrun, especially if it is a high speed overrun, the flow of gas can reverse in the exhaust system."

P

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
DD, thought that was more a problem with the situation of the low air intake pipe!!!!

P
Sorry if I wasn't clear: I meant through the exhaust... in ANY vehicle, if you happen to be caught by surprise & be unfortunate enough to encounter high-water conditions while you're driving, you should always try to go at a slow, steady pace & never take your foot off the throttle - otherwise you can suck water through the exhaust pipe all the way back up into the engine. This is why you see military vehicles that are being set up for fording that have snorkels on both the intake AND exhaust.

Knowing that fact actually saved a car I had once - freeway was flooded, so the idiot police were directing everyone off onto the access road, which was LOWER than the freeway... water was coming up about halfway up my doors & seeping into the vehicle, other vehicles were stranded in the water already... I just kept going about 5mph, never took my foot off the gas & made it through. Car needed lots of work after that (luckily, insurance covered it), but the engine was saved!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nooooooooooooooooooo...tell me Freddie aint still alive?????!!!!

Very funny.......must youtube that for the forum!!!!

:thumbsup:

P

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here is a crappy picture taken with my mobile phone. This is taken with the car parked on my driveway, you can clearly see the huge bulk of the primary CAT coming down from the downpipes, the bottom of it is rather close to the ground.
MB, hope you don't mind, I attached your photo to another board to illustrate the position of the exhaust on the car, thanks, P

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alexholmes....same guy off Sportsmaserati?

Details of same - primary or secondary, how did it present, reason given or investigated for failing, inside warranty period or what did Maserati UK say?

All info gratefully recieved!

P
Hi, yes same guy off sportsmaserati. Primary cat, drivers side. Had hessitation and cel, removed cats myself to check for possible blockage causing hesitation. Found the surface to be pitting and starting to break up, took to Autoshield who confirmed they were just starting to go. Knocked the material out to avoid any possible engine damage. Squash pipes are scratched so didn't bother Maserati UK as expect they would claim customer damage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi, yes same guy off sportsmaserati. Primary cat, drivers side. Had hessitation and cel, removed cats myself to check for possible blockage causing hesitation. Found the surface to be pitting and starting to break up, took to Autoshield who confirmed they were just starting to go. Knocked the material out to avoid any possible engine damage. Squash pipes are scratched so didn't bother Maserati UK as expect they would claim customer damage.
Yeah, did quite a bit of to and froing off the consumer forum in the UK.....and he works in this area, reckons it would be a very difficult thing to prove/get re-dress off Maserati.........not sure what to do or think now....just how easy were they to knock out and did the scratches on the tubes amount to much?..........can the primary cats be done without, MOT issue?

Cheers!

P

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
someone had mentioned to me that there is something on the market that u can plug into the pig tail going to the primary cat, making the computer think theres a cat there, thus allowing u to remove the primary cats. anyone heard of this?? does euro cars have primary cats??

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hahahaha! Cat Bottom Girls.. Get on you your bikes and RIDE!!!!!!

LOL! True.

Or a Queen song...

I was just a naughty lad,
Want to drive a Masi bad,
And I fell in love before I took deliveryyyy...
So I sat my big fat fanny,
On those leather nooks & crannies,
V-8 engine, you made a bad boy out of me....

Aaaaaare, you gonna get me home tonight?
Ohhhhh, that speed bump didn't feel so right,
Aaaaare you gonna puke your platinum out?
Cat-Bottom-Road,
You make my cams stop spinnin' round.

:)

·
5,887 Posts
someone had mentioned to me that there is something on the market that u can plug into the pig tail going to the primary cat, making the computer think theres a cat there, thus allowing u to remove the primary cats. anyone heard of this?? does euro cars have primary cats??
This thread should have what you are looking for....

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7013

Here is the short answers to your questions:
1) There are aftermarket O2 sensors with mini-cats builts in. Not sure if anyone here has really given them a try.
2) Early euro cars (2002-2003) have no pre-cats but do have main cats. Later euro cars (2004+) have the same setup as US cars with both pre and main cats.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
2) Early euro cars (2002-2003) have no pre-cats but do have main cats. Later euro cars (2004+) have the same setup as US cars with both pre and main cats.
actually, that is not accurate.

All cars have 4 CATs. Early non-US market cars have the small CATs first and second come the big CATs. While the US market has the big CATs first and the small CATs second.

Later models as you stated above have all changed to the US market design, so the big CATs are first (which are also welded into the down-pipes). For example, my 2006 GS has the US market layout.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my stock cats failed on my 06 qp with only 31k miles. I ended up having them rebuilt by a company in the mid west and the car has been great ever since! Better than spending $4k on new cats from the stealer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The rebuild cost me $600 for both cats. The dealer removed the cats and I sent them to get rebuilt. Took 8 days to rebuild include transit time. Overall they did a good job rebuilding the cats. The dealer was suprised.

how much was the rebiuld, and are QP cats welded into the headers like the GS

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Yea but for our coupes and GS cars the header would have to come off to rebuild them. Better off to just move the cats downstream a little. One of the other members is gutting his and reprogramming his ECU. Im curious as to how that turns out for him.

·
5,887 Posts
Yea but for our coupes and GS cars the header would have to come off to rebuild them. Better off to just move the cats downstream a little. One of the other members is gutting his and reprogramming his ECU. Im curious as to how that turns out for him.
Reprogramming an ECU to ignore the aft O2 sensors seems like more trouble than just using spacers. The electronics on these cars are tricky even when unmolested. For all the same reasons FD chose to make their ECM an external unit, I would stay away from reprogramming the factory ECU. Just my 2 cents.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

41 - 60 of 74 Posts