Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the UK we are concerned about this issue. We are trying to esablish, how many have failed, in or out of standard warranty, expected life of the catalyst and whether Maserati USA have acknowledged that his is a serious issue ( especially due to huge replacement cost!), have Maserati been taken to task about the poor quality, premature failure and has anyone had any luck in getting Maserati to contribute towards a repair?

I await your replies with interest and will feedback info to this board from the UK forums.

P

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that TravisJ, whilst they aren't common over here, we have to remember the very small number of cars sold in the first instance, nevertheless if members could let us know if failures have occurred at an early stage (either years or mileage) it would be very useful!

I had done a search of course before starting this thread, but didn't un-cover anything.

So Maserati USA have footed the complete bill for these premature failures?

P

·
Registered
688 Posts
I also think it has to be 100,000 miles also in the US. I sold a 90 Toyota MR2 turbo to a girlfriend and the Turbo went out around 50K. My first Turbo car so it was used. I pushed the fact that the turbo is part of the exhaust which part of the emmisions system and must be covered by the federal warranty. At first they said no way. I said well lets ask the Feds what they think if its part of the exhaust and emmisions. They replaced the Turbo for them at NC. I think they were afraid of getting a ruling in court.
What cost them far more down the road on Turbos.

·
5,887 Posts
So Maserati USA have footed the complete bill for these premature failures?
If a catalyst, or any emissions related component, fails, the auto manufacturer is required by US law to pay for all repair costs if within the 8 year service period. With that said, there have been stories of Maserati denying such a claim if the failure can be linked to any sort of damage.

Very tricky subject. As you pointed out, there aren't all that many car on the road and the number of catalyst failures are VERY small. Of those failures, an even smaller number will post on any given internet forum. Any feedback we get will be insignificant.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TravisJ, when it failed on mine ( under the first owner), the thing broke up at 5 years old and 30,000 miles, and the concern is that it gets sucked back into the engine and causes complete engine failure too. I am not sure if I read about this happening on this forum but maybe someone can let me know.

It states on my invoice that it was compression tested to ensure it wasn't damaged, a huge loss if it happens!

P

PS The catalyst alone cost $3313 at an exchange rate of $1.50 to the pound sterling!!! Plus fitting.

PPSS As the USA market is the biggest for maserati, plus we imagine a lot of the guys are on the net...hoping to get a fuller picture!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
TravisJ, when it failed on mine ( under the first owner), the thing broke up at 5 years old and 30,000 miles, and the concern is that it gets sucked back into the engine and causes complete engine failure too. I am not sure if I read about this happening on this forum but maybe someone can let me know.
I know for a fact that Buzz had this happen... I definitely recall seeing a post wherein he mentioned this, and in fact (IIRC) had the entire engine replaced under warranty as a result of front-Cat debris being sucked up into the engine; but I can't find that thread at this time - and I looked quite a bit - maybe you could PM him for further details? I also seem to recall one other person here mentioining this, but I can't recall who it was.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Desertdawg......will do, and will also bump this thread on occasions to keep it visible to ensure I get as much info as I can!

P

DD...I only see one Buzz listed.......and as Buzz48317...and nothing about catalyst in his posts....someone else?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I've seen this happen once on a 4200, the car had the US CATs. The CATs started failing after the driver hit a speed bump on the road and scratched the CATs underneath. Apparently that was enough to make them fail after a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
DD's right! My pre cats failed and ultimately killed the engine. When they inspected the pre cats both were completely empty and they assumed I did it on purpose. After bitching to MNA, they inspected the exhaust and found debris stuck in the pinched portion of the pipes. They replaced them under warranty. A short time later my motor started tapping really loud. They found some honeycomb material stuck in one of the oil pumps and decided to replace the engine, again under warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen this happen once on a 4200, the car had the US CATs. The CATs started failing after the driver hit a speed bump on the road and scratched the CATs underneath. Apparently that was enough to make them fail after a few weeks.
Were they replaced under warranty...or put down to accidental damage? When you say "hit".....how badly damaged were the outer covers? Any other info?

P

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DD's right! My pre cats failed and ultimately killed the engine. When they inspected the pre cats both were completely empty and they assumed I did it on purpose. After bitching to MNA, they inspected the exhaust and found debris stuck in the pinched portion of the pipes. They replaced them under warranty. A short time later my motor started tapping really loud. They found some honeycomb material stuck in one of the oil pumps and decided to replace the engine, again under warranty.

I can only assume they failed for no good reason other than poor quality/design etc......like those on my car.....any other info BYZZ?

P

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Were they replaced under warranty...or put down to accidental damage? When you say "hit".....how badly damaged were the outer covers? Any other info?
They were the US version of the CATs, the two primary ones which are welded into the down-pipes.

Their bottom was... scratched with a small indentation. I couldn't see other real damage.

I don't know the owner of the car, I never asked how he paid for the damage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was no indication of any scratching or denting. That's why they had thought someone purposely gutted them.
So they broke up of their own accord, no outside influence?

Weird aint the word for it....unless the reasons listed above.....poor quality ( not fit for purpose)...poor design,(same), or not robust enough to be slung beneath a car and either suffer very minor bumps, or vibration and fall to bits ( ditto!)????

Either or any way...not acceptable?!

P

·
5,887 Posts
Weird aint the word for it....unless the reasons listed above.....poor quality ( not fit for purpose)...poor design,(same), or not robust enough to be slung beneath a car and either suffer very minor bumps, or vibration and fall to bits ( ditto!)????
Could have also been manufacturer's defect. As with any mass produced product or part, it could have a generally good quality, a great design, be robust enough for the job, and resist vibration but still fail due to a manufacturing defect or materials defect.

I'm not saying that was the case for any particular failure. Just mentioning that a failure of any particular part does not always mean it was a poor design.

A small number of failures usually means defect. Large number of failures usually means design flaw.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Could have also been manufacturer's defect. As with any mass produced product or part, it could have a generally good quality, a great design, be robust enough for the job, and resist vibration but still fail due to a manufacturing defect or materials defect.

I'm not saying that was the case for any particular failure. Just mentioning that a failure of any particular part does not always mean it was a poor design.

A small number of failures usually means defect. Large number of failures usually means design flaw.

Seems EXTRA weird that both broke up at (I'm assuming) the same time. I had the "rotton egg" smell for about 2 weeks as they were failing. Park Place seemd to suggest the transport carrier that delivered my car from MoM may have somehow bumped them although when we inspected them they were clean as a whistle. They're also quite high up in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems EXTRA weird that both broke up at (I'm assuming) the same time. I had the "rotton egg" smell for about 2 weeks as they were failing. Park Place seemd to suggest the transport carrier that delivered my car from MoM may have somehow bumped them although when we inspected them they were clean as a whistle. They're also quite high up in the engine compartment.
So they can't be damaged over speed humps or other bumps really, ie no direct impact to the exhaust where the catalysts are?

Can they shatter or break due to poor quality or fitting etc? If they are so fragile surely a design fault if not well protected.......they are after all being used in a car over poor roads on occasions etc!

P

1 - 20 of 74 Posts