Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after modifying the exhaust my cats broke up and are now rattling, should I just replace them or go for new headers and cat deletes please share opinions.

5,110 Posts
It will be hard to find a place that will hollow out the exhaust for you most likely..An aftermarket option is probably your best bet...Jason

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had my local guy empty them out for a while. simple cuts, brake the stuff up and vac out, weld it shut. Ultimately, I went for new OEM headers. BTW, mine broke and dented b/c I bottomed out over a RR crossing - covered under insurance !

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
So the intermittent and rather noisy rattling, that I hear on the driver's side, underneath, about even with the aft door opening, is a Cat rattle? It comes and goes. Do I wait till it rattles all the time to do something about it? No performance degradation that I can tell.

The aftermarket item that is installed to eliminate it is called what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when catalytic converters degrade, become clogged, or just aged pieces of the honeycomb can break off and cause a rattling noise, this will be like a marble in a can opposed to the knocking of engine wear, to fix this you either need to hollow the cats( this is illegal on a federal level but think of old classic cars before converters) or you can go for the Larini headers and decats although this is a costly way to fix or more accurately remove

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or you can find a set of oem cats but this might put you back in for rattling down the line, the euro 3 compliant headers do not have integrated cats but have a different joining section to the secondary cats making them incompatible without custom welds, cheapest way is to hollow the cats but doing this will make your car sound more like a race car but I only do 1500 miles a year in mine so this won’t be an issue for me

·
Registered
712 Posts
This guy explains the different headers
I heard someone talking about me...

If you want to get the Euro 3 headers, I'm pretty sure there are still a few at wreckers in my area. I can also cut the flanges for you so you can take it to a shop to get them installed and a matching centre section made up. PM me if you want a hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would you compare the euro 3 headers to the Larini beyond the obvious pro with Larini being exact fit to the euro 4 secondary pipes, and the euro 3 being cost effective ,any performance difference?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've only heard them in person once, so I can't say I have compared them back to back, but a bit dronier and a bit deeper when you get on it. The car had a h-pipe so was clearly a rumbly V8.

If there is a performance difference I doubt you could measure or feel it in any real sense. In theory you should have a better performance curve from the OEM setup but without a dyno you couldn't tell, and at those power levels you couldn't observe it unless you are doing laps on a track and can see lap on lap improvement.

The main difference is I can probably still get you a set of OEM headers and flanges shipped to the US for ~$1600AUD, which if IIRC is less than one Larini header. To do headers, fabricate another center section and ship it all the way to the US would probably still cost less than $5K AUD all installed. It doesn't look as pretty sure, but it makes the car sound good!

·
Registered
186 Posts
One of the guys here gutted the primary cat and installed a new Larini sport cat secondary cats which have the plugs for the O2 sensors. That's possibly the easiest way but I don't know how legal it is in USA but given that you're still running cats it should be fine.

·
Registered
4200 GT
36 Posts
One of the guys here gutted the primary cat and installed a new Larini sport cat secondary cats which have the plugs for the O2 sensors. That's possibly the easiest way but I don't know how legal it is in USA but given that you're still running cats it should be fine.
@OP- what isnt mentioned is that doing this necessitates the relocation of the lambda's wiring loom to the back of the engine bay as per the early EU3 compliant cars...
Swapping between EU3-4 presents issues with heat shield design as the return oil pipe requires heat shield protection due to proximity of the earlier manifolds...
Just FYI....

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I cant see if its been mentioned in this thread but i would NOT drive the car till the cat issue is fixed. Just last week i went into my friends shop and theres a ferrari 360 that sucked up a piece of a broken cat and now it needs a new engine. This can happen with these cars as well

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I haven’t driven the car since, but I think with Larini headers you still have to remove the factory heat shield

·
Registered
712 Posts
@OP- what isnt mentioned is that doing this necessitates the relocation of the lambda's wiring loom to the back of the engine bay as per the early EU3 compliant cars...
Swapping between EU3-4 presents issues with heat shield design as the return oil pipe requires heat shield protection due to proximity of the earlier manifolds...
Just FYI....
It isn't so bad, the primary sensors don't need to be moved and the secondaries can be coded out, defeated, or you can run extensions. The oil line is fine with a bit of heat sleeve. But yes, you're right, definitely worth being aware of!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts