Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently lowered my Gransport with new "FD" springs (approx 1.375" all the way around). One of my friends is a BMW technician, so we were able to do everything at the dealership one weekend. They had the latest alignment equipment and all the specs (including photos) were in the computer. We easily made all the required adjustments (both F & R), with the exception of the caster. By simply prying lightly with a screwdriver (on the lower control arm) where the shims are for this adjustment -the measurement was sent all over the place. The adjustment seemed pointless and we could not get any changes w/ shims to stick. Can anyone proved any insight? The current reading is not even close to spec. What will this hurt? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ps. The car drives fine, doesn't seem to pull or have any other adverse behavior. I am quite pleased with the change as the drive is definitely more confidence inspiring without being too harsh.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi txsmazzman search maseratikai and see all the photos, too

GranSport Lowered and Corner-Weighted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By help from Jeff Roeland at Formula Dynamics USA and Dean Hendrikse at Americas Best Automotive in Atlanta, I have lowered my GranSport. I am pleased with the final result. Not too stiff and yet much flatter in the curves. From my about 200 miles home trip, I found Jeff being quite right with his recommendation:

My advise is once you've found a ride height that is appropriate for your taste, be sure to put some miles on the vehicle as the Skyhook has to relearn the new heights and it may take 100-200 miles or so for that to happen. Once the car has adequate time to adjust, you will see that the car is quite firm but not too rigid. We've only changed your spring rate by 25%.

However, during the installation phase, executed by the primer alignment shop in Atlanta (does all the work for Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin and more), we experienced some difficulties due to lack of instructions. That said, Jeff has been excellent to work with and will for any of you who whishes to go this route include text and possible sketches to assist with the installation.

My new ride heights are; Front-Right: 94.5 mm; Front-Left: 92.0 and Rear-Right: 82.5 mm; Rear-Left: 93.0 mm (differences due to corner-weighting of the car)
Above dimensions are measured from top of the 19" GS-rim to the bottom of the fender. (Note pics. shows inches and in an agle thus not quite the shotest distance.

Feel free to contact me direct [email protected] or comment here on the forum if you like more details.

MASERATI = EXCELENCE THROUGH PASSION !
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi txsmazzman search maseratikai and see all the photos, too

GranSport Lowered and Corner-Weighted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Maseratikai. Yes Jeff is great on customer service and he actually had me search your name before I did my spring installation. In speaking with him after the fact though, it seems he has an alignment shop do his cars just like the rest of us and therefore has no first hand knowledge on how some of these adjustments are made in regards to the Maserati. I was hoping somebody might be able to address my "caster" question without asking my dealer. They prefer "no mods" and inquiring would just draw un-needed attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts