Maserati Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I know right...got the feeling whatever pops up though, my boy has got a good handle on it...he has a freakin' Maserati engine sitting on his garage floor! :ROFLMAO: (y)
😂😂😂💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

I’m on the hunt for a decent transmission as well! Mine is shifting a bit hard, even after I changed the filter and a bit of fluid… thinking that I may have added too much or too little fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It's really concerning that Carvana would sell a car in this condition for a premium price like that. You really can't trust these outfits at all, it seems. There's a reason that CarMax doesn't sell Maseratis; they actually stand behind the cars they sell and work on them in their own garage to put them into proper condition, and they can't commit to doing that for Maserati cars so they don't deal in them at all. Carvana seems to be operating like the internet version of the used car lot on the corner. No concern whatsoever for what they are selling, just trying to fleece the customer.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
I‘m surprised the third party warranty company ( Silver Rock ) which partners with Carvana is still willing to offer those warranties knowing that Carvana may be selling lemons which will be very costly to fix within the coverage period.. they’re the ones losing money !
I would understand if like 90% of other third party warranty companies they would deny the majority of claims under wear and tear and other small print exclusionary provisions, but they clearly didn’t in this case .. I think some heads may roll ..

6,682 Posts
I have been in the car business..30+ years...I have seen some really messed up stuff and people just flat out screwed....These new ways of buying cars are not the way to do it..It worked out here, but that generally is not the case...You find a car you like and pay someone to inspect it and then agree on a price...That is my best advice on that..J

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I‘m surprised the third party warranty company ( Silver Rock ) which partners with Carvana is still willing to offer those warranties knowing that Carvana may be selling lemons which will be very costly to fix within the coverage period.. they’re the ones losing money !
I would understand if like 90% of other third party warranty companies they would deny the majority of claims under wear and tear and other small print exclusionary provisions, but they clearly didn’t in this case .. I think some heads may roll ..
It is unusual, in my experience, for most of these repairs to be included in a "breakdown" warranty. A breakdown is commonly defined as something which prevents the car from running or operating normally. Like when mine needed a new clutch after I had it for 200 miles. That would have been covered, I guess. But a rusted subframe? I guess like the OP said it came down to liability due to it being a safety issue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to Maserati ownership. But man, this particular story is probably the worst I've heard from people who have purchased Maserati. You purchase a 2012 GranTurismo last year for whatever price but the car Caravana sold you was in such bad condition that is required approximately $50K in repair and maintenance work which clearly was far and away more $$$$ than what you must have paid for the vehicle. Does Carvana have anyone inspect the vehicles it sells? I have a friend who purchased a BWM SUV with Carvana - no problems. I prefer the old school approach...see/drive the car, have a professional who knows these cars inspect it and make a decision one way or the other.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Welcome to the forum and to Maserati ownership. But man, this particular story is probably the worst I've heard from people who have purchased Maserati. You purchase a 2012 GranTurismo last year for whatever price but the car Caravana sold you was in such bad condition that is required approximately $50K in repair and maintenance work which clearly was far and away more $$$$ than what you must have paid for the vehicle. Does Carvana have anyone inspect the vehicles it sells? I have a friend who purchased a BWM SUV with Carvana - no problems. I prefer the old school approach...see/drive the car, have a professional who knows these cars inspect it and make a decision one way or the other.
Agreed! Given my love for this particular car though, I was prepared for the worst case scenario... I've been on this site for a while trying to make sure that I address all of the top concerns. The front subframe was my top concern. Since then, I've spot treated all of the visible rust spots on the undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
I had a Maserati Merak in the 70s while I lived in Cleveland . I bought it for next to nothing because it had been totaled in an accident and then restored with a lot of bondo and a so-so paint job. But it was rusted trough and through, you had to be careful not to have your foot drop trough the floorboard and look as if it was a Flintstones car . And yes, every car rusts in Cleveland weather, and corroded by all the salt on the road , but this car was just 4-5 years old when I bought it, so it seemed way premature to fall apart with rust. Not sure if it’s a MaseratI weakness which they never fixed, but those living in harsh climates ..check your frames !

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Not sure if it’s a MaseratI weakness which they never fixed, but those living in harsh climates ..check your frames !
Good advice. I'm on my second Levante in Boston and will be keeping an eye on that. The first was fine after 3.5 years, having no signs of rust anywhere. However, I don't drive a ton of miles, so that would likely have been a factor.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just curious what pushed you to Carvana to look? Was it the pre-approval process made it simple? Or this car was the exact spec you dreamt of? I would have never thought to look there, and after your story, I still feel the same. Lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Just curious what pushed you to Carvana to look? Was it the pre-approval process made it simple? Or this car was the exact spec you dreamt of? I would have never thought to look there, and after your story, I still feel the same. Lol
Lololol!!! It was the exact spec that I was looking for. I actually didn’t even go to their site, I was looking on autotempest.com, and it showed up there. Prices were in line with well sorted examples. What drew me in was the 7-day grace period and 100-day warranty. I inspected it myself in my garage and noted everything that I saw wrong upon delivery and the driver noted it. I found that the passenger mirror motor was out, drivers seatbelt wasn’t retracting, saw oil seepage around engine valve gaskets. I alerted them of this and a couple days lasted they told me to take it to an OEM dealer… scheduled time at my closest Maserati/Ferrari dealer… took them about 10 business days to come back with a long list of items. Provided that list to Carvana and they instructed me to work with SilverRock and the rest was history. I need to compile a full list of what I did and what they did, but like everyone has said… the repairs are well over what I paid for the car, and given the nostalgia factor I have for the car, I am fine with it, even as beat up as it was, I’m mentally and financially prepared to fix it up and keep it forever. I just think the the design is so timeless and I wanted the S, not the MC.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Someday someone will get wise and do a 50% worn tire test.. Look for flip flopped results.......hint not Michelins..............seen too many delaminated PS4s on track................can't recommend them.
Conti ECS is you need top shelf. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy with my Falken FK510s....Sounds like a new FK520 being released this year. A perrenial top UHP tire.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
....hint not Michelins....seen too many delaminated PS4s on track....
Wow. BTW I’m not at all “ challenging “ your experience, but in my experience I’ve never seen , nor even heard of any Michelins ever failing . It’s been almost always Pirellis which fell apart, and some Goodyear Eagles.. ( from the top performance brands anyway ).

·
Registered
777 Posts
My eyes have seen things....I have said it many times over the years, I have run Michelins on many vehicles and have always hated the second half of their life.
Just last year, delammed on BRZ, Mustang mach1, e46, . I know those folks. People look at Michelins like the 3 pointed star of the tire world.....its not that they are bad tires, I just don't think they deseve ANY premium over other top shelf brands like Bridgestone Potenza, Contis Pirelli PZeros etc. I know how I flogged my Conti ECS at Pitt last fall...infriggin destructible!!!!
Let Tire Rack wet test a PS4 half worn v the competition....half worn.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
I have seen a few independent tests of tires at half-life, ( years ago ..) but have no recollection of which brands were tested and compared, just know they exist.. or at least did, at one point. I don't think Tire Rack was one of the testing sources..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone! Just wanted to make an initial post! I've been on the forum for the past several months and finally took the leap to register and make my first post.

Long story short, I bought my dream car late last summer! A gray Maserati 2012 GT with Red interior from Carvana.

The best news is that I immediately took it to my local Maserati dealer and got a quote for almost $50K worth of work, that Carvana's warranty covered ~90% of!

I got a new brake pads and rotors all around, front sub-frame, valve cover gasket, timing cover gaskets, steering rack, full front suspension bushings amongst a bunch more!

Not encouraging anyone to take advantage of their warranty program, but if anyone is in the market for a GT, but are hesitant, I recommend going to Carvana!
That’s awesome I bought a got from them in November and needed $22,500 worth of repairs took me 50 hours of battling them to do it but they paid it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello Everyone! Just wanted to make an initial post! I've been on the forum for the past several months and finally took the leap to register and make my first post.

Long story short, I bought my dream car late last summer! A gray Maserati 2012 GT with Red interior from Carvana.

The best news is that I immediately took it to my local Maserati dealer and got a quote for almost $50K worth of work, that Carvana's warranty covered ~90% of!

I got a new brake pads and rotors all around, front sub-frame, valve cover gasket, timing cover gaskets, steering rack, full front suspension bushings amongst a bunch more!

Not encouraging anyone to take advantage of their warranty program, but if anyone is in the market for a GT, but are hesitant, I recommend going to Carvana!
So your telling us that this 2012 needed all these repairs? Well good for you, you ducked a bullet, but my 2008 had only one issue and that was the cam gaskets.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts