Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I was going to repair my seatbacks as many of you do - but I was considering having them manufactured in CF instead of doing a vinyl wrap. Is this something anyone would be interested in? I would be getting them manufactured locally so it would be cheaper for all you UK and US owners. If people are interested, I'll get a quote for multiple units. If people are still interested then I can organise a group buy.

Cheers

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should probably clarify that you are referring to GS style seats. If that's what you are talking about.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the GS style seats, but if someone can provide me a part to make a mould from I can get it done for any part really.

I'm following up with a local manufacturer now. Might not be able to get a proper answer until the new year as that is how Australia functions, but I'll update with some idea on costs as soon as I know.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you. I think it’s super cool we have forum members from all over the world. Hope to visit your beautiful country soon!

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so I got my first quote back - $1600 USD a pair!

This might move a bit down as its a conservative estimate without the part on hand for the manufacturer - but they make high quality cosmetic parts so I have a lot of trust in this particular manufacturer. I'll be following up with another manufacturer tomorrow.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That quote would be made in China, and that's a price for one set at a time - if I got a bunch made I know they'd pull the price down.

I can't reach the Perth manufacturer until the new year - Christmas trading hours!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I would be interested in a pair if the price declines. I just paid $800 to have one set of seat backs stripped and repainted per a process describe in another string on this site. So something a little above that would be good, $1600 plus labor to remove and install and perhaps shipping seems a bit too much. (I have two Gransports.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'll keep you in the possible list. If I get enough I'll be able to talk it down a bit - and in the new year I'll be able to chat to a local manufacturer and see if they can do any better. Would you be doing it for both Gransports?

1. Lambertius
2. Sportinlife

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Well I'll keep you in the possible list. If I get enough I'll be able to talk it down a bit - and in the new year I'll be able to chat to a local manufacturer and see if they can do any better. Would you be doing it for both Gransports?

1. Lambertius
2. Sportinlife
Well, the one has the $800 redo, which I would almost certainly leave in place. I'll consider it though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello there, for those who English is not the first language, what do you understand by “seatbacks”? Would you keep the factory bottom seat and replace the seat back with a carbon fibre version? Do you intend to make a version similar to the MC Victory or Sparco SPX? I am looking for such seats for my 2003 Coupe but MC Victory seats are rarer than the unicorns and the Sparco are rather pricey

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly that.

This thread shows the part I'm intending to manufacture. Some people paint them, others vinyl wrap them - but I want to make the parts out of carbon fibre.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've heard back from the local guy in Australia and they're not interested in taking on the work.

So its $1600 USD a pair + shipping. If a few people buy in it will lower the costs.

I need to pull my seat backs and send them off to the manufacturer in China. I'm bumping this to give anyone else a chance to confirm interest before I do it. If you want an idea of build quality, I'm using the same supplier as CarbonMiata - The Ultimate Resource for Mazda Miata Parts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just thought I'd bump this to see if anyone is interested in doing this?
Since you appear to have some advanced exhaust experience, let me pick your brain on this concept. It's an x pipe which seems to work well in Coyote Mustangs for an exotic note. I've been interested in adapting or building one from scratch, but need more science before in invest the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts