Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in what car wax and/or polish maser drivers use on their cars. I did a search on the site and found a few threads but am hoping I can get responses from this new thread. I am looking for something that won't take me all day to apply and remove, reasonable cost, great protection, great shine. Anyone found such a product that works well on the maser?

also, I have never used a power buffer - scared of the dreaded swirls I might create. Anyone got tips for using one and recommendation for a good buffer?

Save Ferris

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hi Ferris - I'm in your neck of the woods. I've just become addicted to the Zaino products after years of dedication to Zymol. Zaino is a polymer polish whereas Zymol is a wax. The carnauba in Zymol is amazing and produces a beautiful shine with depth but doesn't last very long. On the other hand, Zaino can be applied in layers and continues to look beautiful for many, many weeks after application. It's a bit more work than other products but, the results are stunning in my opinion. I know that others have great things to say about the Klasse products & I'm sure that some of them will chime in here....

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Auto wax

I use Menzerna and Blackfire products from ProperAuto Care in Tampa FL. They have a variety of excellent products and great advice. They test all products they sell and offer instructions on how to get best results. They also have polishers, pads, tools, etc.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I use a mix of things
First off I use a porter cable buffer (same guts as the griots buffer just a different handle assembly and less expensive) since it is a dual action (to seperate rotations) buffer damaging the paint is pretty difficult

I use all CCS pads different colors varying with the polish level I am using

buffing compounds are Mezerna, Meguires Professional and 3M products

Lastly I use the Swissvax Scudiera wax which although it is a fairly long process I feel lasts and looks signifigantly better then any other wax I have ever used.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Silicones

Klasse.

Same shine as Zaino, Half the effort, Half the cost.

No silicones.

:cool::D
So for those of us who never bothered to wash a car in their life till they had a reason to, i.e. a Maserati (Now washing has become a therapeutic weekly activity much to my wifes chagrine :)) what is the issue with silicone containing products?

And do "wax as you dry" products work and / or damage car?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Silicones bond deep with the paint, sometimes down to the metal, they can even change the bonds, etc. between the molecules. On top of that, paint can not stick to silicone, so if you ever need to get your car repainted, etc... it makes it WAY harder...

And if you dont tell them you have silicone on your paint... prepare for an angry body shop.

PS- I would not suggest the whole "wax as you dry" thing... Just dry... then wax. Takes an extra 10 minutes :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are ingredients listed?

Silicones bond deep with the paint, sometimes down to the metal, they can even change the bonds, etc. between the molecules. On top of that, paint can not stick to silicone, so if you ever need to get your car repainted, etc... it makes it WAY harder...

And if you dont tell them you have silicone on your paint... prepare for an angry body shop.

PS- I would not suggest the whole "wax as you dry" thing... Just dry... then wax. Takes an extra 10 minutes :p
So is it obvious tell whether a wax has silicone? i.e. is it listed as an ingredient or does it have a different feel? Also, what is wrong with the wax as you dry products? Do they also have silicone?:confused:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
A lot of liquid waxes do... but the easiest way to tell is ask the company...

Wax as you dry products commonly have silicone... but also, they just suck.

;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I did some research on ferrarichat.com a couple of years ago and found a consensus among the pro detailers about a 100% carnauba paste called S100. It's the P21S, but sold cheaper ($16) at Harley Davidson dealers under a different name. Same company, same package, just different name. Have been using it since then and it works very well, easy to remove and no white residues.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I suggest that you get the car professionally power polished. I had my black 04 Spyder done recently and it came back with no swirls whatsoever so it set a good baseline for subsequent waxing and detailing by yours truly.

As for wax - try reading consumer reports. I am not always a fan of CR because many items (like say a dishwasher) have ergonomic and operability nuances that are not always factored in to the CR reports but waxes are pretty straightforward. In CR's tests, all of the expensive waxes were rated mid pack at best. I personally have never found any difference either - Nufinish seems to work just as well as Zymol for me, but then again I drive my car fast every weekend and it comes back covered in dirt, dust, bugs (and in last week's run -a sparrow embedded in the grill).

I use Turtle Wax platinum (less than $5 on sale) and it works fine. In fact the best wax / sealant that I ever used was called Blue Poly (back in the 80's) and it sold for around $3 bucks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How often?

I suggest that you get the car professionally power polished. I had my black 04 Spyder done recently and it came back with no swirls whatsoever so it set a good baseline for subsequent waxing and detailing by yours truly...

So how often is it suggested or need to get a pro wax job job? And then how often do you follow up with self detailing?

Lastly, can you wash / wax your car too much?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Been Using ZAINO products for 10 years...

I am a detail nut.

I LOVE ZAINO. Primary reason, it gives you the LONGEST lasting shine for your time. Wax is great, if you don't mind coating your car 4 times a year.

I detail my car once a year with several coats of Zaino. In between I follow up with the Zaino mist after washes. Car is garaged kept at home and at the office.

I hand wash my car weekly.

It takes me 3 - 4 hours from beginning to end. ( I use a PC orbital machine, super easy and SAFE )

1st. Wash and Dry.
2nd. Paint cleaner. Meguiars - most important step. (make sure paint is smooth and clean)
3rd. Swirl mark remover - Meguairs #9 (may have to do it a few times on problem areas)
4th. Zaino Polish - Buff to high shine.
5th. Coat of Zaino - dry and buff
6th. Coat of Zaino - dry and buff
7th. Coat of Zaino - dry and buff

Just had my car wet sanded. The result from the detailer was better than I ever could have done. My car is an 04. I highly recommend getting your 3 or 4 year old Maz wet sanded once. Super shine, like water or glass. No swirl marks.

Buy good towels for washing and drying. Thats how you get swirl marks. NEVER goto a car wash...

Good Luck.

CM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which Zaino

I just did a search for Zaino products. Claybar, waxes, polishes all a bit confusing. Can someone tell me exactly what Zaino product you use. Also did a web search and found a few folks that complained of streaks with zaino. Any tips on avoiding this?

Thanks.

Ollie

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The reason Zaino has such a good name is because it is an advertising dynamo...

Klasse doesnt bother advertising ;]
Sorry, but I've never seen any advertising from Zaino. Everything I've ever learned of or heard has been by word of mouth and from testimonials on other car forums...from real people with real cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts