Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, Iknow. I would love to handwash, but in the winter in northeast it's not so fun.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Try Optimum No Rinse, one bucket, no rinsing. Quick and easy, and you can stay dry and warm.

Eric

·
Registered
191 Posts
car wash... ouch

do they not have one of those "spray booth" washes near you ?

not great but beats the sheet out of those giant swinging rags and the huge spinning wheel with the hard plastic brushes !!!

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Live in the NE as well and there is no way around using a car wash if you want to keep her clean. I ran into this on my 911 - luckily on the inside of the rear rims. Found a touchless - NOT brushless - carwash that has rails wide and low enough - they attract more high end cars. No brushes at all, cleaners, polymers, and high pressure jets, then blowers, guys with portable air compressors to blow off extra water, then hand wiped down. Same price as the full service brush place.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Chemicals in touchless carwash detergents harmful?

My mechanic friend suggested that in order for a "touchless" car wash to work, harsh detergents are used since there is no mechanical action to remove dirt and grime; this can be harmful to paint and especially rubber (door and window seals).

Apparently a manufacturer of the detergents used in these car washes told him this. The manufacturer themselves said they wouldn't take their own car to one of these! Nothing like believing in what you sell!

Is this true?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Whenever I'm too lazy, busy or its 120 degrees out here I do go to the carwash. But I just pay the guy 20 bucks to wash it by hand. So it's 5 bucks more. Better than wrecking the paint or wheels on the car eh?

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I doubt it - they use the same name brand stuff as on the shelf. The wash I go to is next door to the MB dealer - MB runs all their new and service cars through them. I doubt MB would do that if they had any concerns. I would also bet any detergents they use are less harmful than brushes moving dirt particles back and forth.

My mechanic friend suggested that in order for a "touchless" car wash to work, harsh detergents are used since there is no mechanical action to remove dirt and grime; this can be harmful to paint and especially rubber (door and window seals).

Apparently a manufacturer of the detergents used in these car washes told him this. The manufacturer themselves said they wouldn't take their own car to one of these! Nothing like believing in what you sell!

Is this true?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Is this true?
I've heard this specifically about Laser Wash but i imagine it would be true for all touchless washes. Its supposed to be the spotless rinse that causes black rubber to fade.

·
Registered
78 Posts
. . . I thought this was the Maserati forum . . . .

I am truely hoping that you don't have access to a hand carwash in the colder months and that $ was not your roadmap to the auto car "wrecker" wash.

YOU DRIVE A MASERATI !!!!

When you made a decision to drive a Maserati (instead of a Mazda) didn't you agreed to spend the extra bucks to keep the car status quo . .?

Come on . . . an automatic car wash guys?

·
Registered
52 Posts
After i got my MB wheels scratch few years back, i go to the car wash and do HAND wash only. Do not go thru the automated mechine. It cost few more bucks, but worth it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Both my cars, the Z-4 and the Mas get hand washed, takes about four
hours,(each) when I'm lazy or in the winter time I take them to the local place for a hand wash ($25.oo).
Please don't do that again.:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Let me clarify. The wash place I go to, Splash of CT, is a hand wash place, but the car goes through the building on a rail while 2 guys hand wash the car. Glad to see you guys are so protective (same feeling I have when I see a kid get yelled at by his parents at the grocery store for nothing). Just plan upsetting.:) Home washing has it's dangers too. My daughter (3 yo at the time) "helped" me wash my carrera using a rock one time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Let me clarify. The wash place I go to, Splash of CT, is a hand wash place, but the car goes through the building on a rail while 2 guys hand wash the car. Glad to see you guys are so protective (same feeling I have when I see a kid get yelled at by his parents at the grocery store for nothing). Just plan upsetting.:) Home washing has it's dangers too. My daughter (3 yo at the time) "helped" me wash my carrera using a rock one time.
i am even more lost now.

why you need a rail when 2 guys are hand washing the car??
or better question, why would the car be going thru a building on rail when 2 guys are hand washing it???

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not having gone to a Hand Car Wash, I am not sure of the procedure.

Do they use fresh clean soapy water and new wash mitts on each car, or are they using the dirty wash water, and the same old rags from the previous car on your car?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Here's how it (an hand wash car wash) works (on my wife's Audi):
- Pull up the vacuum station, choose your wash, get a receipt, 2 people vacuum the car and drive it 50 feet to the 'building'
- the building is a long narrow structure with several overhead wetting, soaping, waxing and rinsing jets (probably 4-5 jets in all)
- the building contains a walkway, where customers can watch their cars pass through the building, through 20' of glass windows
- the building does indeed have a rail, similar to a a tradition brush wash - but does not have the brushes.
- 2 or 3 cars move slowly along the rail. About 5-6 people are inside the building wash area at any one time. 2 wash down the wheels. 2-3 people hand wash the cars - one one each side. 1-2 seem to augment either process. The cars move slowly enough through the rails so that the hand washers can move around the car and do a thorough job.
- When the car makes it through the hand wash, waxes and rinses, a driver gets into the car and moves it another 50 feet to a drying section
- 2 people then dry the car by hand, and one of them uses an air gun to blow water out of the cracks
- My place uses clean towels all the time - they drop clean towels on the hood when the car leaves the building. But, I don't know how often they change the washing mitts/clothes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees . . . .

People, isn't the main reason not to take your car to an automated wash the potential damage the rails can cause? The soft cloths they have nowadays don't hurt the finish of the car . . . its the stupid rails that are most offensive to the car.
My wife said . . . and I quote "dagggg . . . really . . . maybe they don't have hand car washes where he lives" She also told me to tell you "don't do that again"
P.S. I think we've punished you enough now. You can drive again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.