Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Chicago area and it seems like the local car shows are going belly up. And the ones that are left are basically just Corvettes and Mustangs and Chevelles and that's it. Yes I like Corvettes but I really don't need to see another C6 again.

Is this an Illinois thing where car guys (boomers) retire in FL or AZ and that's where the shows are thriving? It used to be a regular Friday night thing, always a show or two going on.

Where do the Porsche, AMG, BMW M, and Jaguar guys hang out? Seems like Maserati would fit in nicely.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
521 Posts
I'm in Chicago area and it seems like the local car shows are going belly up. And the ones that are left are basically just Corvettes and Mustangs and Chevelles and that's it. Yes I like Corvettes but I really don't need to see another C6 again.

Is this an Illinois thing where car guys (boomers) retire in FL or AZ and that's where the shows are thriving? It used to be a regular Friday night thing, always a show or two going on.

Where do the Porsche, AMG, BMW M, and Jaguar guys hang out? Seems like Maserati would fit in nicely.
Depends what you mean by a car show, to me that means all the marks get together in a huge convention centre to show you what you can't buy. If on the other hand you mean car meet ups like the cars and coffee things - they seem to be quite popular. We have one going here in the great white north every Wednesday. There is always a few Ferraris, at least one or two GT's plenty of McLarens and Porsches and other exotics that make a lot of noise... Sometime its 15 cars sometimes its 50 or 60. There is also another one more ricer oriented where you would see cars with dining room tables as spoilers attached to the back, 12 inch cumbered to shit wheels on Civics etc - it's also where all the old dudes with Corvettes and Mustangs go to impress the 17year olds, luckily they don't come to our exotic car meet. There is always something interesting or special on show. Don't forget this is the great white north - as in, it is May 10th and it is snowing today and +1.0C or 33℉ if you swing the imperial way. FML.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends what you mean by a car show, to me that means all the marks get together in a huge convention centre to show you what you can't buy. If on the other hand you mean car meet ups like the cars and coffee things - they seem to be quite popular. We have one going here in the great white north every Wednesday. There is always a few Ferraris, at least one or two GT's plenty of McLarens and Porsches and other exotics that make a lot of noise... Sometime its 15 cars sometimes its 50 or 60. There is also another one more ricer oriented where you would see cars with dining room tables as spoilers attached to the back, 12 inch cumbered to shit wheels on Civics etc - it's also where all the old dudes with Corvettes and Mustangs go to impress the 17year olds, luckily they don't come to our exotic car meet. There is always something interesting or special on show. Don't forget this is the great white north - as in, it is May 10th and it is snowing today and +1.0C or 33℉ if you swing the imperial way. FML.
That's a nice collection of cars on that Instagram, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. GTC in Alberta? Bold, I love it.

Need to find one in my area- would love to see some other GTs. I don't think I've ever seen one Maserati at a prior show I've been to. Maybe an Aston or Ferrari here or there but mostly the usual sea of Mustangs

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
521 Posts
That's a nice collection of cars on that Instagram, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. GTC in Alberta? Bold, I love it.

Need to find one in my area- would love to see some other GTs. I don't think I've ever seen one Maserati at a prior show I've been to. Maybe an Aston or Ferrari here or there but mostly the usual sea of Mustangs
There is a pile of GTC in the city - I drive mine pretty much from March to November - despite all the whining and complaining I do about the snow and the cold. It's almost always sunny here even when it is -40C so a convertible in Alberta is not the worse thing to have. We do make the most of it, even if you have to wear a jacket and a scarf and set the heated seat to 3 and heat to 32C! It just works.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Interesting question.
If you mean formal shows with classes and judging, I think that the high end concours (Pebble, Amelia, etc) have gotten out of reach for people with mere 7 figure incomes. The lessor shows are still way above most folks, and the cars are so rare, expensive, etc. as to have little relevance. Local shows are quite popular here in the South, but the effort required to have and prepare a show car make it difficult to participate in too many. As a judge, I have found it difficult to differentiate between a young person, their 1st or 2nd car, limited budget, and an older guy with that ultimate power tool... a fat check book. You really want to give the trophy to the person who worked so hard on that car.
OTH, the cars and coffee type of events are not formal, meant to just be fun, and are my favorite.
But I do miss the old road rallyes. Does anyone still run them?

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
521 Posts
Interesting question.
If you mean formal shows with classes and judging, I think that the high end concours (Pebble, Amelia, etc) have gotten out of reach for people with mere 7 figure incomes. The lessor shows are still way above most folks, and the cars are so rare, expensive, etc. as to have little relevance. Local shows are quite popular here in the South, but the effort required to have and prepare a show car make it difficult to participate in too many. As a judge, I have found it difficult to differentiate between a young person, their 1st or 2nd car, limited budget, and an older guy with that ultimate power tool... a fat check book. You really want to give the trophy to the person who worked so hard on that car.
OTH, the cars and coffee type of events are not formal, meant to just be fun, and are my favorite.
Ferrari Club of Alberta does the mountains runs at least 3 or 4 times a year to either Jasper Park Lodge or The Banff Springs Hotel then they beat around the mountain roads and the cars rarely come out of the 2nd gear - it's just an orgy of v8 and v12 noise... Anyone with any car can join, but they will be relentless in shaming you for driving the ugly cousin that is the Maserati - even if they are wrong. 😂

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
368 Posts
This one is still going strong. But they are absolute tyrants when it comes to cars goofing off. And I like it that way. They'll permanently ban you for showing off as you leave. They have strict rules on what can and can't "participate". And I like that too. It's a great show and has great turnout and takes a TON of work by the organizers.....all for free.

Griot's headquarters is also nearby and has "gatherings" on most weekends during the summer. Much less formal and much less organized but then you get things like any car parked in the lots when it's supposed to be Italian day. But this is kinda cool too, first come-first parked. And you see some really interesting and even odd cars which I like too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live near Philly. Before Covid, I too got the sense that shows on a closed off "Main Street" were in retreat. To bring back attendance, art, craft, & more food vendors were brought in to draw a wider crowd. This year, I have seen many show organizers posting on FB "Save the date" into October! Cars & Coffee type shows have increased & that is where you'll see a lot of the Maserati's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc. As Silvertonesx24 stated, I too am really not interested to see the usual late model 'vettes, 'stangs, chargers, etc. I sometimes think that people may stay away from some shows as they know that is what they will see...again. I'm a senior & still enjoy showing one of my classic cars. Each of the four are from different eras. Some draw more attention than the others, but they give exposure to the unaware about other segments of the hobby .

I've been to one show this season that was fairly well attended. Have two more shows this w/e that are always well publicized to the public. I guess a big "if" is whether gas prices will effect the show car participants.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Interesting question.
I watch Mecum etc for entertainment. Except for maybe 10% of the cars shown, most are prepared so far beyond their OE quality they are completely irrelevant to me these days. I got my license in 1978 so I was 6-8 yrs past the peak of the muscle car era. All I remember from older cousins, AMZ, Z28's blabla, was they made great sounds but they all rode like tanks, and could not turn to save their life. My started car was a1974 Buick LeSabre with a choked 455 even though it was a detroit show car with the first SS exhaust etc. When I got the 4 yr old 1978 Acoord LX, it was a driving epiphany. Even before my Lotus craving started, I like overachieving motors, suspensions etc v fat Yank tanks.
What I miss in these car shows are the beautiful Duessenbergs, Tucker Torpedos, etc. Seems like most are truly locked up in museums now....rightly so.
I also never understand why certain cars are collectible when others are meh. Maserati and Lotus, IMHO have always been true drivers cars...maybe that's it, collector cars are lookers??? not necessarily drivers?
Isn't it pathetic when one says mere 7 figure income? What has gone wrong in America??? Aside. Big business owners producing in China is my #1 pet peeve. We are all getting screwed for it at present aren't we?

When I owned my 1st Jag I joined SNEJOC. I quickly realized it was occupied by a bunch of compulsive OCD types...no thanks! Really Qtips under the hood...yikes! It's really gotten that out of hand. Whatever happened to PATINA!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,855 Posts

I live in the Chicago area also. One thing's for sure, car culture in Illinois sucks and is pretty much nonexistent these days. The most common car events are "unofficial ones" usually late at night on some deserted parking lot with lots of gangbangers, ricers, and teenagers doing doughnuts and burnouts.

Also, with rising crime all over Chicagoland, you don't want to risk taking a nice car out to some sketchy part of the city to get jacked. One of my friends had his AMG GT jacked a few months ago in downtown Chicago. Scary.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Same everywhere. Seems we can no longer shoot criminals.................but they are doing a pretty nice job shooting each other. Round them all up , give them unlimited ammo and let them finish each other off.

Reactions: GT/MC 4ME and DSGT

·
Registered
548 Posts
WOW that is something I am impressed. In Alberta it would be easier to find 100 sleds which would have about 1200 dogs pulling them, than to find that many exotics!
Not necessarily all exotics…id say 50% classic/antique cars, 30% american muscle cars (mustangs chargers challengers corvettes) 15% german bmw’s and mercedes and about 5% exotics (ferrari, lambo mclaren etc)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts