Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still down for the Alfa 8C Spider, they are supposed to come back to me but as it's even more expensive, if they select me as one of the buyers I'll try to flip it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm worried that tha Alfa spyder mught be as shaky as the Gransport spyder. Isn't it the same chassis?

Every once in a while, I get so tired of the cowl shake I almost make the mental decision to haul my spyder to the BMW dealer and get a 335i - 3/4 of the fun for 1/4 the hassle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
at the very least, you could have probably bought the S and then flipped it at a premium to someone who doesn't want to wait a year to get it. I'm assuming it's VERY scarce in Japan.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too much hassle, plus I may not be here in Japan to take delivery of the car.

Regarding the Alfa, I was just going to flip my "spot" in the list, if I ever made it on it (which I should know by the end of May).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm worried that tha Alfa spyder mught be as shaky as the Gransport spyder. Isn't it the same chassis?

Every once in a while, I get so tired of the cowl shake I almost make the mental decision to haul my spyder to the BMW dealer and get a 335i - 3/4 of the fun for 1/4 the hassle.
it might be even more squeaky with all the carbon fiber panels :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why oh why did I cancel the deposit I had on this car :mad:
Because you looked in to the crystal balled and realised you would rather wait for the 540bhp 4.2L Direct Injection twin turbo GranTurismo Bi-turbo with a 7 speed dual clutch MC-Shift?

:D

yeah, me too :cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts

LOL regarding the Alfa droptop - I had the same thought.

My DD is the 335i Vert. It is a great drive, and only the most roughest jolt - pothole, railroad tracks - do I even get a hint of quiver. Hardtop in place, the car is as solid as bank vault and some folks claim the Vert is quieter than the Coupe.

And the retractable hardtop is what concerns me the most about the Ferrari California - BMW outsourced their top to another German company that has been in the convertible top business for decades. BMW didn't feel they could meet the exacting tolerances required in-house.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i believe Ferrari outsource the hardtop design and manufacturing too.
most likely, pininfarina.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think I have to, since I live in - taadah - California. :)

The Ferrari entry price is out of my league - I would have to get used.

I might be able to swing a new Maser GT in the next few years - Maser GT Convertible rumors suggest a ragtop. And I think it is worth the price of admission to be able to spec out new versus finding a used one that is halfway acceptably optioned.

Plus - and this is a big PLUS - I have a really poor record of buying "good" used vehicles. Over time, the wife has come to LOVE warranties. Hence the current Maser vs the used F456/F550/F355es I was originally pursuing. And not to mention being sucked in by a Ferrari designed and built V8 with no-engine out services, along with the F1 gearbox/rear transaxle at a truly reasonable price - in my case, brand new at a BMW 545i price tag.

So back to the original question: We'll see, historically Ferrari 2+2's do poorly on resale. Of course, by then, the F430 Spider may be obtainable. And Ferrari insiders say that there is no good reason a F430 shouldn't go a 100K miles with no serious cost issues - due to the reliability of the motor and major Quality Control improvements over the past five years. Only the decades of fear wrt maintenance costs and depreciated resale value is keeping owners of F430s from rolling up big odometer numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.