Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments from the people "in the know" about the CD article that placed the Maserati third, behind BMW and Mercedes?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should never put much into those head to head comparisons that Car&Driver or any of those other mags do. The way they determine 1st, 2nd and so on is based on points from many categories. They use things like price, gas mileage, trunk space and things like that which might not be the most important thing you are looking for in a car. Best thing to do is know your priorities on a car you want and just look how those features stack up head to head

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a subscription to C&D and R&T and I haven't seen any such comparo - I usually get the latest issues pretty quickly. Maybe this time is different though...

It wouldn't surprise me if either mag rated the Maser last, they usually pan the cars I love and vice versa. They are almost a contrarian indicator for me. Pretty pictures though...

·
Registered
46 Posts
C and D

The three cars finished 1 point apart - hardly a decisive win for any car. The Mercedes is faster and more refined and probably deserved the win. The BMW is very refined but not as sporty. It is hard to disagree with their reasons but I still wouldn't trade my Cambiocorsa for either the BMW or the Mercedes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello everyone, I just found this website and think its great!

I'm planning on purchasing a Maserati when the lease on my jag. comes due in about 5 months.

The C&D article rated the Maserati 3rd, but after removing the one characteristic that shouldnt be a factor: "gas milage" you will find a different outcome. I tossed the magazine, so Im not 100% sure, but I belive the Maserati would come in 2nd behind the Porsche, but barely shy of 1st place.

I think the article should have noted that such an inconsequential factor changed the results.

Greg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Whoops, I was thinking of another comparison, the Porsche, Maserati, and another car? anyone recall? sorry for the mixup.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here is a review from road and track that compared Lexus SC430, Maserati Spyder GT, MB SL500, Jaguar XK8, Cadillac XLR, and Porsche 911 Carrera Cab. Is a strange comparison as they even state in the article there were only two real sport cars in the group, The Maserati and Porsche. If you are looking for a performance car the Maserati and Porsche stack up even and that's all I took out of this comparison. I think the 911 has a love it or hate it look. Never liked that upside down spoon look, Had a Boxster S that I liked the look of much better. If you want a Maserati go for it, My 2004 Spyder GT is awesome, I have never had a car that is so much fun to drive and have yet to go for a ride where I do not have people giving me the thumbs up or beeping at me. Forget about parking lots, Have to answer peoples questions about car every time I get out of it. http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=735&page_number=1

·
Registered
455 Posts
That was the article I was thinking of. Just a few more cars than I recalled.

If you look at the performance results for each vehicle, subtract out the gas milage points, these figures would be the new totals:

Porshce 1st Place: 180.0 points
Maserati 2nd: 175.4
Mercedes 3rd: 169.1
Cadillac 4th: 165.0
Jaguar 5th: 161.0
Lexus last: 159.1

Scott, What color combination do you have on your spyder?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Azurra Blue, Nero interior with gray piping, gray carpets, Red brakes, GPS, Upgrade Stereo, CD Changer, Heated Seats, Windstop, Xenon Lights, Alum race pedals, and Skyhook. Also had them put a Tubi on when car arrived. I was unsure about color when I ordered and almost change to a darker blue but kept with the Azurra which is a silvery blue. And am very happy I stayed with color. I have had car two weeks and have not needed to wash yet as it still looks clean, whereas my Carbon black M3 looked dirty 10 minutes after detailing

·
Registered
455 Posts
Very nice, I looked at the color on the maserati site. Thats a beautiful color combo.

How is the tubi compared to stock. too loud or just need to get used to it?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Tubi is not that loud. They toned down the stock exhaust to make it more a Grand Touring type car. The Tubi really finnishes the car off and the sound is amazing, better than most Ferrari's. I have had many after-market exhaust on past cars and most of them just make car sound loud. The Tubi just brings a whole new sound to the car. And the site does not truley show my color or any of the other colors that well. They need a brochure with all color combos. Or you should really try and find a car in the color you want before ordering. You say your lease is up in 5 months so should start looking now as it takes about 4 months to order

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Homework Assignment

Scott,
Would really like to see lots of exterior and interior photos. Did the Tubi system come with its own tips? Photos of these would be great too.
Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
scott said:
You say your lease is up in 5 months so should start looking now as it takes about 4 months to order

Thanks for the Info, Im in Los Angeles, and am going to visit the Beverly Hills Dealership. For some reason, I was under the impression that the cars were in stock/readily available.

Did you order because of the color combination?

I've seen a black on black up close and it was very nice, but I love black cars so I'm biased.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They are in stock at most dealers, I know my dealership has a couple Spyders and Coups. But I wanted a GT and all they had were Cambios. I am sure the Cambio is great but I wanted a stick. The car I traded was an M3 SMG and while it was a great feature I found myself missing the clutch. By passing on the cambio I saved enough to pay for the Tubi and load up on options. As I live in the Northeast and do not drive my fun cars in the winter makes it best for me to trade cars in around November so that I save a few months insurance and get car just in time for spring. You should be able to get a decent amount off if you take something right off the lot but even with ordering I still got about 11% off list. That was a nice surprise as the last couple of cars I got were hot cars and had to pay list. I think once Maserati catches on here in the US you will see the discounts gone.
I plan on getting some pictures up soon but my Daughter has the Digital camera at School. Anybody know if I can take pictures with regular camera and when I have developed either put them on a disk or have them put on AOL then download here?

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Tubi does have its own tips and they are a little bigger than stock. You should only have the dealership install it. I had read that people had problems with earlier systems that melted their bumper covers. My dealer confirmed this when he told me that one of the first they put on did melt the cover. He said that Tubi redesigned the system and paid for a new cover. Some of those original systems could still be on someone's shelf so I would be careful.
Am very glad this site is starting to see a little more action as their is so little around for the new Maserati's. The Yahoo site hardly recognizes the new generation, was able to get some info from Ferrari chat where there was an other Italian topic. But they recently moved that to their off topic section. I got the feeling Maserati was like Ferrari's ugly cousin to them anyway. Probably has to do with the fact that we can get a Ferrari motor and great car for about half what it costs for the cheapest Ferrari and not spend a bundle every year for service. Have now put over 500 miles on car in the two weeks and am loving it more with every mile :D . Those car mag reviews do not do this car justice, You cannot drive a car like this a couple hours and then write about it. Would also like to see them review a 2004 as just about all I had read were 2002 models and Maserati definitely listened and fixed most issues.
So if anyone looking at Maserati has any questions at all please feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The information available on these unbiased forums is invaluable. As the owner of a 996, the information gleaned from the 996 boards has made me a wiser consumer, saved me hard earned cash, and has helped me take better care of my car. Getting honest, helpful information from salespeople just doesn't happen. Thanks again Scott.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just read the C&D article. For cars in this catagory, the most important factor is "Fun to Drive". Here, The Maserati Coupe comes in way ahead at 22 pts. (vs. 19 for the Mercedes CLK55 AMG and 18 for BMW 645Ci). The short Verdict for each car summarized it well:
Maserati "Fascinating always, exhilarating when you give it the spurs."
BMW 645Ci: "An almost convincing simulation of an exciting car."
MB CLK55: "Superhero punch behind a Clark Kent face."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
wrs7
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing