Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a piece in Car and Driver online about the 8C and competitors. The GT page closes with "the Pininfarina-designed GranTurismo is a welcome replacement to the outgoing GranSport’s clumsy attempt at visual importance." I recall a short piece on the GT last year that called the GS "banal".

ba·nal /bəˈnæl, -ˈnɑl, ˈbeɪnl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective devoid of freshness or originality; hackneyed; trite: a banal and sophomoric treatment of courage on the frontier.

What's up with that?

·
Registered
835 Posts
it's subjective...the mere fact that it's a Pininfarina doesn't mean jack.

I prefer the body style of GS over GT....but who cares, the beauty lies in the eye of beholder.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All the car magazines have been overly critical of Maserati since they introduced the coupe.

The f1 system just didnt fit the writers personal preferences because it was different, unique, and they cant handle anything that doesnt conform to their lazy driving "I dont want to do anything requiring thought while i drive" style. They all love the silky smooth ride of a lexus and secretly enjoy sitting in the back seat while their wife & motherinlaw sit up front.

Now as a parting shot they comment on the body design, one feature which I get the most complements. I guess if maserati can completely copy a mix of the bentely and mercedes models, they may get the magazine's nod of approval.

Personally, I wrote them off long ago.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
the GS has always been underrated.

i stopped reading all these american automobile magazines a long time ago. if you want the latest news, there are all sorts of websites providing the latest info. their articles are boring, and their photography are poor.

british magazines such as CAR and EVO are much better entertainment.

·
Registered
744 Posts
A very objective view

I bought my 04 Spyder because it was essentially a Ferrari (engine and drivetrain) at about 1/3 the cost (used). Despite the strengths, the styling has always left me cold. I find it derivitave (e.g. too similar to a Jag) and too many steep curves - it is an aquired taste in my opinion. The GS design by Pinnanfarina is a step up but hardly leading edge. I am not in the least bit offended by the dissing because IMHO it is all true - but you get what you pay for. In spite of all this - I love the car and would never replace it (unless I won the lottery).

The Maserati (any model) is at best a compromise. The handling and performance is medicore by modern standards (e.g. a new C6 vette will blow it away at 1/2 the cost) and the styling does not even come close to a Ferrari. Similarly the quality (at least by Japanese standards) is sub par.

What Maserati does offer is a strong balance of cachet, history, performance, and style in one package. A little effort (by way of aftermarket mods) can overcome the pathetic stock handling and lacklustre performance and thus bring the car up to the realm of competetiveness but it will never be leading edge (despite the common man's perception to the contrary).

I know that I will raise a lot of hackles here by simply questioning the brand but any direct objective comparison to a good modern sports car (Corvette, 911 etc.) will quicky highlight that Maserati is still a long ways short of state of the art in the perfromance category alone.

That is perfectly OK as Maserati still offers up a great combo of go and mojo - just don't take it too seriously.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is all subjective, but most of the journos are hackneyed and Maserati has been a favourite target for some time now.

Basically what is important is your opinion!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my 04 Spyder because it was essentially a Ferrari (engine and drivetrain) at about 1/3 the cost (used). Despite the strengths, the styling has always left me cold. I find it derivitave (e.g. too similar to a Jag) and too many steep curves - it is an aquired taste in my opinion. The GS design by Pinnanfarina is a step up but hardly leading edge. I am not in the least bit offended by the dissing because IMHO it is all true - but you get what you pay for. In spite of all this - I love the car and would never replace it (unless I won the lottery).

The Maserati (any model) is at best a compromise. The handling and performance is medicore by modern standards (e.g. a new C6 vette will blow it away at 1/2 the cost) and the styling does not even come close to a Ferrari. Similarly the quality (at least by Japanese standards) is sub par.

What Maserati does offer is a strong balance of cachet, history, performance, and style in one package. A little effort (by way of aftermarket mods) can overcome the pathetic stock handling and lacklustre performance and thus bring the car up to the realm of competetiveness but it will never be leading edge (despite the common man's perception to the contrary).

I know that I will raise a lot of hackles here by simply questioning the brand but any direct objective comparison to a good modern sports car (Corvette, 911 etc.) will quicky highlight that Maserati is still a long ways short of state of the art in the perfromance category alone.

That is perfectly OK as Maserati still offers up a great combo of go and mojo - just don't take it too seriously.

Flashgordon:

thanks for your "coming out"!
Folks like you, drive a Maser because they can not afford a Ferrari. For them, any Maserati is a compromise only. You don't like the style, the performance is "mediocre" and the quality below standard.
BUT you still love it!
Well, I think you have an identity problem!

I could not drive a car, accepting all the bad points I have figured out, like you.

My two cents for a real subjective opinion!

waba

·
Registered
517 Posts
While I always felt the styling of the 3200/4200 GT was pleasing and clean. A nice looking car that could only be best appreciated when viewed on the street among every day traffic.

But when seen at a car show with other Maseratis like a Ghibli or Khamsin it just doesn't get the heart going like those cars. Not to mention the Ferraris and Lamborghinis that will also be there.

To understand how the styling for the 3200/4200 GT came about, a bit of history is in order. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Fiat began the purchase of the Maserati from DeTomaso (a great story by itself) in the late 80s when the industry was booming. By the time it was complete in the early 90s DeTomaso had a stroke and the world economy was in recession.

DeTomaso had been working on the latest version of the Biturbo based cars with the Shamal. Knowing that Maserati needed to break away from the Biturbo image but with little funds available to do a whole new car. Fiat's chairman Cesare Romiti used as much of the Shamal components as possible. Upgrading where needed. For design of the car he turned to Giugiaro.

Romiti told Giugiaro what he was looking for, so Giugiaro freshened up a design he had done for Daewoo (the Bucrane) with Maserati styling cues. From there you got the Maserati 3200 GT which evolved through the Gransport. That basic design concept lasted Maserati for 10 years, which traces it roots back even further. It has taken Maserati 17 years under Fiat ownership to turn a profit. Now that it has the future looks bright.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Holy crap! You learn something new every day! It's obvious these cars came from that design. I love my Daewoo!

·
Registered
517 Posts
While I always felt the styling of the 3200/4200 GT was pleasing and clean. A nice looking car that could only be best appreciated when viewed on the street among every day traffic.

But when seen at a car show with other Maseratis like a Ghibli or Khamsin it just doesn't get the heart going like those cars. Not to mention the Ferraris and Lamborghinis that will also be there.

To understand how the styling for the 3200/4200 GT came about, a bit of history is in order. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Fiat began the purchase of the Maserati from DeTomaso (a great story by itself) in the late 80s when the industry was booming. By the time it was complete in the early 90s DeTomaso had a stroke and the world economy was in recession.

DeTomaso had been working on the latest version of the Biturbo based cars with the Shamal. Knowing that Maserati needed to break away from the Biturbo image but with little funds available to do a whole new car. Fiat's chairman Cesare Romiti used as much of the Shamal components as possible. Upgrading where needed. For design of the car he turned to Giugiaro.

Romiti told Giugiaro what he was looking for, so Giugiaro freshened up a design he had done for Daewoo (the Bucrane) with Maserati styling cues.
From there you got the Maserati 3200 GT which evolved through the Gransport. That basic design concept lasted Maserati for 10 years, which traces it roots back even further. It has taken Maserati 17 years under Fiat ownership to turn a profit. Now that it has the future looks bright.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Robb Report 2006

And yet on 2006, Robb Report named the GS one of its cars of the year.

http://www.robbreport.com/archived-issues/Article.aspx?article=10342

Read it and I think you'll be inspired.

Point is its all subjective. Ask 20 people on Maserati Life what they think of GS's, and most will reply favorably. Ask 20 people on a Porsche board what they think of GS's, and they'll laugh. Ask the Ferrari guys, and they'll say Maseratis, are well...great daily drivers!

If you have a GS, enjoy it! To me, they are still very special cars, and I smile each time I'm behind the wheel of mine!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Flashgordon:

thanks for your "coming out"!
Folks like you, drive a Maser because they can not afford a Ferrari. For them, any Maserati is a compromise only. You don't like the style, the performance is "mediocre" and the quality below standard.
BUT you still love it!
Well, I think you have an identity problem!

I could not drive a car, accepting all the bad points I have figured out, like you.

My two cents for a real subjective opinion!

waba
Nice ‘personal attack’ type response. A little brand zealousness and financial insecurity, with some homophobia thrown in for good measure. You’re a real class act waba - that’s my two cents worth.

To correct your mistaken assumptions - I did not buy my Maserati because I “cannot afford a Ferrari”. I am a VP in a Fortune 500 company and I can easily afford a Ferrari, but I find that brand does not offer particularly good value. The fact that a Maserati is hand built and has a substantive Ferrari content in the areas that count (specifically drive train) at roughly 50% of the new MSRP of a mid engine V8 F430 clearly speaks to this point. This and very swift depreciation makes any Maserati 4200 an outstanding bargain. The closest configuration (front engine GT) of a Ferrari that matches my Spyder is a 575 Superamerica, but my pragmatic training as an engineer tells me that it is not worth the $300K premium (that’s “used” by the way).

Likewise, I do not have an identity crisis - mainly because I do not tie my identity to my car (unlike yourself it appears). Rather, like most on this board, I simply love cars and more specifically cars with character. I loved my first car (a candy red 1967 Firebird coupe) just as much as my Maserati but I did not delude myself into believing that it was perfect (e.g. without compromise). All cars are a compromise.

The reality is that the Maserati 4200 series has some pretty signicant flaws. The performance and handling (in stock trim) are by most “objective” measures lacking given their new MSRP price. If you do not believe this, simply look to the numbers. 9.74 lbs/ hp and an 8:30 time on the ‘Ring are nothing to brag about (by way of comparison a stock Nissan 350Z has a better time). If you want a “subjective” opinion, go to Jeremy Clarkson’s Top Gear review of the CC coupe on youtube (just don’t start crying because he thinks the performance sucks).

I will concede that styling is a personal thing but I agree with Italiancars subsequent post on the point – clean but not striking.

As for quality – I am willing to accept it in the same way that I accept periodic repair costs on my Omega Seamaster (which by any measure does not perform as well or as reliably as any $20 quartz watch).

I love my Spyder because it is a very soulful machine. It is fun to drive (despite not being a world class performer), turns heads, has a beautiful interior (I have the beige with the burl wood package), and it is unmistakably Italian. The performance shortcomings can be significantly rectified with after market fixes (thanks to Formula Dynamics) and the styling is still perfectly acceptable despite not being leading edge.

Would I love a Superamerica more? Probably, but the bottom line is that you can still be satisfied even if you aren’t married to a supermodel.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wow. I also have a Spyder. My first car was a red 1969 Firebird, I am a VP at a US subsidiary of a very large corporation, and am an engineer by training. And have also been told by some yahoo on this forum that I couldn't afford some car.

Just had to say.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Thanks Italiancars, great piece of knowledge there :)

I enjoy reading the occasiona copy of C/D but I think they missed the mark completely with the pot shot at the GS' looks.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
>< Daewoo reject....

I just checked the pictures online and I think the 3200GT/Coupe/GS are much better looking cars ;)

I personally find that the new GT is a beautiful and enticing car but the design of the 3200GT/Coupe/GS is probably going to withstand the passing of time much better. Those simple lines are effectively timeless and although they don't shout "look at me" like a Lambo or Ferrari, they are stunningly unique.

In terms of performance, I think our cars have plenty, really.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
108 Posts

I too, have several "issues" with these comment but am not interested in getting into a p*ss*ng contest. Drive something "normal" from Japan and then lets talk about "pathetic stock handling and lacklustre performance". I'm not worried about you questioning the brand (it doesn't worry me at all) but come on... I have to presume you're extracting the michael! :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Too often enthusiasts seek validation that their choice of automobile is the "right" choice. Others presume to assess your personality based upon what you drive, but they are only revealing their own prejudices.
It doesn't matter what the "car experts" think - good Italian automotive design by Giugiaro is good design, even if Daewoo originally commisioned it. I think my GS is a beautiful sports car and I love driving it, and that's why I bought it - enough said!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dang guys.. how does one become a VP at a fortune 500 company? :)

But on a serious note.. I must admit, I too have been on the fence with regards to the Maser, especially reading so many stories on reliablity, clutch life, rather heafty price for repair etc..

But at the end of the day, you sit behind the wheel of an awsome all around car. Its not a viper, or 911s, a z06, or an Aston Martin. It really belongs in it's own catagory, it does a lot of things better than average, and that's why people enjoy it. I realize we all at some point want to have validity in the car we drive, and unless your hardcore at either the performance or luxury arena, next time your in traffic and you spot somone nodding in agreement of your car, then you know you got the right one for you!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts