Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 23 years old, so of course I appear to be an insignificant customer who cannot afford anything but a toyota and wants to test the race cars today. At least this is the feeling I get when the sales man asks me "Do you plan on buying this car today?" So back to my age. How do I combat this barrier. I am planning on buying a Maser Coupe 02-04 at the end of this year. So of course being obsessed at first sight of this vehicle, I look on ebay and such everyday. Well I have found a few in Tampa that I like and pricing is right so I want to make sure the car Im obsessing over drives like I dream it does. I had this same scenario with a Mercedes E55, loved its looks, did not like the drive. What say you lades and gents? I really would love to be part of the Maser family...Cheers to those who enjoyed their coupes today.

Joe

·
Registered
742 Posts
Call up and schedule an appointment for a test drive.

I called FM of NJ. Asked to speak with someone in pre owned Maserati sales and made an appointment for a test drive.

I told them over the phone I was a serious buyer and I could not decide between a Maserati and a CL 500. I wanted a test drive.

They were very nice.

Good Luck. CM

·
Registered
94 Posts
From a seller's perspective, I am not sure I would be interested in giving test drives to those who plan to buy "at the end of this year" as you indicated, but rather only to those who are ready to buy now or within the next few weeks. So, I might suggest you wait until year end when you can honestly tell them you are ready to buy if you like the drive.

Also, assuming you have a good faith intent to buy one, showing the seller that you have specific knowledge about the vehicle model will help - for example, that you are familiar with the manual v. CC transmission, Skyhook, difference in features for different model years, etc. and that you know which of these features you want - all of which are things that demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in the vehicle and are somewhat familiar with them. I am not talking about actual experience driving a manual v. CC, but that you know what the two different transmissions are and have thought about what you want.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Inspire :-)
307 Posts
^+1 agree with what was said i don't own one yet but i go to the dealership about once every couple of months to get that face time and talk to the guys in charge, letting them know that im very interested and we talk about the car, so when i'm ready to buy there will be no problems test driving and such. i have been in and out of the car/cars coupe/gs several times. The last time i fired the GS up and i loved the sound so much i had to turn off the car(didn't wanna give the keys back). But Just let them know how serious you are and i'm sure something can be arranged

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am 23 years old, so of course I appear to be an insignificant customer who cannot afford anything but a toyota and wants to test the race cars today. At least this is the feeling I get when the sales man asks me "Do you plan on buying this car today?" So back to my age. How do I combat this barrier. I am planning on buying a Maser Coupe 02-04 at the end of this year. So of course being obsessed at first sight of this vehicle, I look on ebay and such everyday. Well I have found a few in Tampa that I like and pricing is right so I want to make sure the car Im obsessing over drives like I dream it does. I had this same scenario with a Mercedes E55, loved its looks, did not like the drive. What say you lades and gents? I really would love to be part of the Maser family...Cheers to those who enjoyed their coupes today.

Joe
Maybe I can be of some help. I am 22 years old and got a test drive in a new GranTurismo before purchasing one without any hesitation. I called up the dealership and asked to speak with a sales manager. I asked him if he has any GranTurismo's on the ground. Once he said he did I told him I would be down in a few hours to potentially buy one as I am shopping it against a Porsche. When I got there I pulled up in my BMW M Roadster and walked right in (did not walk around the lot at all) and asked for him. He hooked me up with salesperson who already had a blue GT pulled up and ready to go.

The key is confidence and being direct. I would suggest dressing the part. Maybe put on a pair of dress pants and dress shirt (what salespeople wear minus the tie.) If you look like a 23 year old shopper your gonna get booted (in the car buisness the term is "broomed".) However play your cards right and you can walk into any dealership and drive anything you want. After my test drive on the GT I had asked for comparision reasons to drive a black 08 Ferrari F430 with a sticker of $300k+ . The salesperson didnt even blink an eye to grab the keys. Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was 21 when I got my first test drive of the coupe. However I pulled up in a new M3... so...

Once you get a foot in the door... you can test drive whatever you want. Any dealership, I casually mention I have a GS... and voila... I get unacompanied test drives. Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo...

·
Registered
528 Posts

Joe
You are looking to buy a used car 3 months from now.
The used car dealer expects the car to be off the lot in a month.
Given this scenario, he is just wasting his time.

Change the situation if you want a test drive.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its funny because I did all of the above. I had a nice pair of slacks on and tucked in dress shirt, fresh in the middle of day from work. I actually even took my dads 994 Porsche... I figured that would give me the edge, but to no avail, I left empty handed. I even tryed discussing the options as Peepster said. So for now I will stick with the cobra, humbly until the end of the year when Im ready to buy. I plan on paying cash for the vehicle and am very aware of the annual maintenance requirements and costs. For this specific reason I am vigilantly looking for an actual 6 speed instead of the F1 CC. This will also be my second vehicle, driven on Saturdays & Sundays, maybe bring it in to work on Fridays as well. At any rate. How does everyone enjoy theirs? Cheers!

Joe

·
Registered
905 Posts
Borrow someone's Panerai or Rolex and wear that in in plain view! That may help...

·
Registered
133 Posts
there are a few good points on this.

when you are shopping for the car, don't tell em you are thinking about buying next year. Tell them if the car is good enough & the deal is sweet enough you have the money for it today. You don't actually have to buy it today.

If you experience truely bad service, walk away anyway.. don't even think about giving them your hard earned cash.

Dressing reasonably well & wearing a decent watch does appear to make a difference. I'm always surprised at how many sales guys notice my sea dweller at 40 paces. Even when I'm in my scruffs.

That said.. you don't HAVE to dress up just to buy a car. Your money's the same colour as everyone elses. I've actually just come back from my first visit to the local lambo dealer & I don't think I could have looked scruffier having just spent the morning doing DIY lol.

Be confident no appologetic. Tell them what you want & how you want it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Funny, usually only women that work in certain establishments recognize Panerai (or anything not Rolex). I tend to use the opposite tact and dress crappy. Most of the other guys iI see at the dealership look similarly dressed down.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You guys are missing an element... Maser Agent, you need to bring a girlfriend, someone else's wife, a mistress, or even a hooker. In today's world, women make the majority of purchasing decisions when it comes to automobiles. Bringing a female says your are serious. A single male projects "tire kicker".

Bonus points if the gal has killer looks and has conversation skills. Salesmen get so distracted, they start throwing keys at you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good shot Bcube! I will try bringing her along this weekend. Myabe if I come see the same car twice, with my girlfriend on the second deal, I might get my test drive! I will dress in a t-shirt and jeans with the Tag, classy casual(thats what she tells me anyway!) I just viewed the thread by Niteroi on Tubi sound...That most definatly will be my first upgrade. WOW!!:D I am still having a hard time understanding how these amazing works of art have become so affordable! I know thats only my foot in the door, and the services are steep, but even then I say thats a small sacrafice for a tru Italian Stallion! Cheers ladies & gents.

Joe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.