Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between an '02 Spyder, '03 Spyder, '04 Coupe & '04 Spyder. The '02 is $17K less than the '04 Spyder, $14K less than the '04 Coupe & $5K less than the '03 Syder. The '03 has 13 months of warranty left.

This will be my 1st "exotic" car & I plan on driving maybe 6-8K miles/yr. I'm inclined to "go cheap" on my first foray into this & then trade-up in a year or two. And what I'm really trying to figure out is will I lose much going with the '02 (resale & potential service issues in that timeframe - like if the top goes out) or is it a smarter move to go with at least the '03 that has warranty left, but costs $5K more?

Also, can anyone recommend an excellent independent shop in Southern Calif or am I better off staying with an authorized dealer when it comes to service?

Thanks for your thoughts on this... I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
sounds like a high school mathematical question there...
but with the 02 vs 03 at $5k difference and 13m warranty, you can already delete you 02 off your shopping list. (do a search and you'd notice some improvements to 03s).

so the 03 spyder vs 04 coupe is $9k difference.
and 03 spyder vs 04 spyder is $12k difference.

what mileages and color are those cars?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Eugenio's Ferrari Service in NoHo.

Go with the one you want more and don't fuss so much about the numbers. Cost out isn't so important, (cost out - cost in) is moreso, and if you want it odds are it's more resellable because someone else does too :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Since you're looking for an inexpensive entry I'd look at the 02 and 03

pro - most of the depreciation has been wrung out of it. if you're really planning on keeping a year/18 mo. you should be able to get out of it for close to what you paid for it.

con - no warranty could be BIG $$ for a repair bill. Maserati keeps saying they're going to offer an extended warranty but it's likely to be pricey and at the rate they've been going you may be ready to sell before it's available. A good, thorough PPI is a must.

pretty severe scuttle shake that's been addressed but not totally solved in later models. Also has plastic instead of glass rear window.

03 - kind of inverse of above

pro - warranty, stiffer chassis, glass rear window

con - likely to see more depreciation

you'll probably enjoy either equally. see if you can do a test drive. that may seal the deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback...

M - I know... sorry for the math quiz there! And thanks for your thoughts. Color Info:'03 - Nero/Grigio Medio; '04 Spyder - Nero/Sella; '04 Coupe - Nettuno/Tan; '02 Spyder - Nettuno/Avorio-Sella

The '02 & '04 Spyders are from authorized dealers, the others are various dealerships. And just to make things more fun, I was told that the '04 Coupe is probably sold but I also found an '03 Coupe (Nero/Nero) with 11K miles for $2K less than the '02 Spyder. What do you think about that?

And Steel... you get what I'm thinking. The '02 seems to be a much less expensive way to "check" out these cars. And yet, I might be really sorry if the convertible motor goes out or something like that.

I did talk to one dealer who says they've heard the extended warranty will be in the neighborhood of $2900, but if you're vehicle has already run out of warranty, you may be out of luck... he just wasn't sure at this point.

At any rate, I did drive the '02 & it was great fun. Just don't know what the newer models drive like as a comparison.

Thanks again, guys. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
530 Posts
They're telling me that since Maserati has dragged its feet so long they're going to make it available even if the car's out of warranty (mine is). The thing is they've been saying "we're working on it" since last year about this time and there's no indication they're anywhere near launch.

I'm partial to the Spyders. Shorter wheelbase = more agility and there's no better way to experience the exhaust note than top down in a tunnel...

If you don't need the extra seating go for the Spyder. The Nettuno is a really pretty color, and purchasing from an authorized dealer is a plus.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Steeldream said:
...I'm partial to the Spyders. Shorter wheelbase = more agility and there's no better way to experience the exhaust note than top down in a tunnel...
hahah...get the coupe...it is true that Shorter wheelbase = more agility yet soft top = less rigidity = less fun :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I were you, would buy the 2004. If you're selective, you can get one for mid $50's, (coupe at least) with probably 2 years remaining on warranty. The '02 is cheaper, but not a whole lot. If you look at the trajectory of depreciation, most of it is rung out in the '04's. The small premium you pay for the '04 over the '02 is worth the benefits of newer car with less bugs and full warranty. Personally, would never want to own one of these cars out of warranty, and I suspect a lot of people feel the same way. If you keep an '03 for a year, and then sell, the warranty will be about gone. If you do the same with an '04, you can market it with 1 year warranty remaining, and if you liked the car, go buy a Grand Sport.

I was in the same boat as you 12 months ago....bought an '02, drove it for six months, sold it with remaining warranty and basically broke even. Now I'm ready to step up to the plate and am trying to find a GS. Hope you like whatever you buy. Also, get a Tubi. Well worth it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Steve said:
If I were you, would buy the 2004. ... and if you liked the car, go buy a Grand Sport. ...
expert advice from steve, but it is a Gransport.

i do not see a $12k difference between a 03 spyder and 04 spyder is justified.

laurie, what are the mileages?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More info on the cars I'm considering...

A bit more info on the cars I'm looking at: '02 Spyder - Nettuno/Avorio+Sella has 8K. '03 Spyder - Nero/Grigio Medio has 14K. '04 Spyder - Nero/Nero has 15K. Have also gotten a lead on an '04 Coupe - Nero/Nero with 19K for $56000 which sounds like it might be a good deal?

Plus there is an '03 Spyder just listed on this forum that looks really nice.

I kind of go back & forth with the '02 model year. Some wouldn't have any other year & others would never ever consider an '02. I drove the '02 Spyder & it didn't seem too bad, but I haven't driven any others as a comparison. I do feel however, that most think the more important thing is to find a car that still carries warranty. Is 6 months enough?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Laurie said:
... '04 Spyder - Nero/Sella...!
Laurie said:
A bit more info on the cars I'm looking at: '02 Spyder - Nettuno/Avorio+Sella has 8K. '03 Spyder - Nero/Grigio Medio has 14K. '04 Spyder - Nero/Nero has 15K. ...
Is 6 months enough?
is the 04 spyder nero/sella or nero/nero?
(nero/sella is nice on a spyder. nero/nero is.... boring!)

on one hand you can think of the 02 spyder has super low mileage with avorio leather that is probably in very clean condition; on another you can think of the car has not been properly sorted out and could potentially have underlying problems.

6 months can go by really quick. as someone mentioned above that you can get a car with 2 years warranty left, and then try it for a year, and still resale it with some warranty remaining.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, I was also new to the exotic's. In May I bought my first Maserati, a 2004 spyder c/c. I looked at 02's 03's and the 04's and picked my 04 for
the following reason:
Newer car, less wear and tear.
04 has glass window,
04 has warranty for two more years.
lower miles.
also the one I have has vintage package (extra crome trim)
04 has less cowel shake.
As for service I take mine to FMBH. The people( Jerry Hicks service manager) there are great. As for me, better to take the car to someone who knows
them to do the work. ( I don't know if work done out of the shop will void the
warranty but why take chances.) Before you buy test drive the others.
Have fun.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Coupe vs Spyder

Seems like you are leaning towards the Spyder. First decide on what makes you the happest, a Coupe or Spyder. Then go for the best bang for your buck....

I have read that there were many upgrades to the 02 Spyders as far as cow shake and back window.

Make sure you check out the remaining tire tread and get a certified reading on the clutches. Figure remaining clutch life and remaining warranty into your calculation....

After all that, go with the one that brings you the biggest smile! Maserati is all about passion...

Good luck!! CM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are great! Thanks!

Thanks for all your advice, as I really think about each reply! That being said, I'm feeling more inclined to find a nice '04 - either Spyder or Coupe. Like the idea of 4 seats if need be, but there's nothing like a cruise down PCH with the top down. I think I'll be happy either way. Will keep you posted & if you have any more advice, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again!

P.S. M... the '04 Spyder is Nero/Sella which I agree is a gorgeous color combo & I much prefer it to Nero/Nero. There's something about a light colored interior that looks really rich to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts