Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my humble opinion it is difficult if not unfair to compare the new Gran Turismo to the existing manual transmission "true sports cars" produced by Maser and owned by many / most who post to this this board.

I have read many comments on this board and other parts of the internet with regard to the GT. Most very much like the car for what it is, except when comparing it to "TRUE SPORTS CARS". It is not trying to be a GS, Spyder, Porche or anything of the kind......... It is a luxary /sporty car... I am not sure what this catagory is even known as....

I bought the GT car as a daily driver (retired) with some city driving.... and find that the automatic will work best for me... If this car were truly a "toy" ..... and in the garage 6 days a week, I woiuld certainly have bought a more sassy, larger engine, "true sports car"........

It is also clear to me also that I personally am a different class of Maserati owners who should not be compared to the traditional purists.... those who drive sporty'er models and have earned their stripes........ (respect offered)

My point / if I did not state it clearly is ... let the Gran Turismo be judged in it's own class..... if anything compare it to the similiar XK Jaguar and maybe the MB 550 SL.........etc.........

Thanks !
JD New Jersey Shore
New Poster

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep, it is a different, car built to a different purpose, aimed at a different market than the previous cars. It is not a replacement but a change of direction. Not better, not worse.... just a different car altogether.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
JD - I agree that the GT is a different car, and intended for a different purpose than just pure flat-out performance. BUT, it is all Maserati....a beautiful example of Italian automotive art and a great addition to the marque. AND....it's great to welcome you and your recent addition to the Maserati family here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to Fast Freddy and Vin-chen-zoe

Nice to see open minded people that realize it all does not have to be black or white.............. jd

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with the Author of the post

I think the new GranT is an incredibly beautiful automobile. In terms of it not being a true sports car vs the prior models, ..I rarely drive my 02 Spyder like it is a Sports car. I use it as a semi-daily driver in typcial traffic conditions. I only get to open it up on an occasional weekend drive, so in that case, I don't see why there has to be a division/distinction between the two. I would venture to guess most of us do not really get to fully explore the limits of our vehicles during our day to day travels.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think the new GranT is an incredibly beautiful automobile. In terms of it not being a true sports car vs the prior models, ..I rarely drive my 02 Spyder like it is a Sports car. I use it as a semi-daily driver in typcial traffic conditions. I only get to open it up on an occasional weekend drive, so in that case, I don't see why there has to be a division/distinction between the two. I would venture to guess most of us do not really get to fully explore the limits of our vehicles during our day to day travels.
Ummmmm.... I drive 8 miles to work. I find the "power band" which is close to the rev limiter, every day. I love that feeling. I'm not quite sure the auto wet sump can deliver that feeling. It is indeed a different animal that I appreciate and utilize every day.

BTW people that know what I'm talking about have it floored and get pushed back in their seat between 5000 and 7000 RPM in 1st. The seatbelt locks! I guess the car thinks I got rear ended :D

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I agree that the GT was born with a whole different idea in mind and I think it will successfully put Maserati permanently in the black.

However, it's hard not to compare it with the current offering and feel they could have upped the power/performance a little bit more.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have to agree

Saw the GT and GS side-by-side today. The GT is a completely different car. Its down right gorgious, and huge in comparison to the GS. the GT shoudl have been called duaportte! for two doors. It looks like a coupe QT. And because its a coupe, its shape had to be more aggressive. It can be compared to the 3 series BMW (analogy only... not saying it compares to BMW) the 3 series has a Sedan version the E90 and the coupe (aggressive version E92)

I was swoooning over the GT, but when I saw it next to a blue GS, after a lot of thought, I wanted both cars, but still undecided if I'd be more excited with the the GT or GS :confused:

I guess thats a great predicament to be in!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I like the way you're thinking ;)

I'd love to get rid of the family car (a Nissan Murano) for a nice Quattroporte. But the boss won't let me :( :( :(

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ummmmm.... I drive 8 miles to work. I find the "power band" which is close to the rev limiter, every day.
I'd be somewhere up the behind of a Camry/E350/535i if I did that very often around here... c'mon Buzz, stop taunting us Silicon Valley guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I spent a week in Miami and was able to spot 2 Granturismos and 3 Gransports. They have totally different appeals and presence. The GT is alot more in your face. The Coupe is way more subtle, almost too discreet.

I also got a chance to test drive a Maser Spyder F1 for the first time and loved it. Its a raw machine. The CC isnt as bad people say it is and it must be left in sport mode!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i agree that it is aiming at a different clientele. but i have to disagree with its planning by not keeping the current owners in mind.

400hp is nothing to shout about nowadays.
you get 350hp in most mid priced german and japanese sedans in 2008.

there is a lot of the GT that shouts Maserati and Italian, but the performance could just be a little more stimulating, and that would capture some of the current coupe/spyder/GS owners to trade in their cars that already have expired warranty.

with the performance of the GT, it is hard for these owners to justify the extra $$$$$ to trade into a GT.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i agree that it is aiming at a different clientele. but i have to disagree with its planning by not keeping the current owners in mind.

400hp is nothing to shout about nowadays.
you get 350hp in most mid priced german and japanese sedans in 2008.

there is a lot of the GT that shouts Maserati and Italian, but the performance could just be a little more stimulating, and that would capture some of the current coupe/spyder/GS owners to trade in their cars that already have expired warranty.

with the performance of the GT, it is hard for these owners to justify the extra $$$$$ to trade into a GT.
this is somewhat true. Its not all about HP! if it were then you'd buy a Z06 or viper and call it a day. I just think the new GT is TOO big to be a sports car. Looking at it, it just looks heavy, but no doubt beautiful. It reminds me of an m6. Just big. thats all.

·
Registered
793 Posts
EasyDoesIt said it well.

So, why even compare cars?

They are like women. There are similarities but there are differences. They are chosen for their differences.

So, let the Gran Tourismo stand on its own.

It's a very nice car, has beautiful lines, smells and feels great, and it needs to mature a bit.

Let's let it do so.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'd be somewhere up the behind of a Camry/E350/535i if I did that very often around here... c'mon Buzz, stop taunting us Silicon Valley guys.
Remember, I commuted MANY years between Foster City and Santa Clara and the wonderful 101 commute is still very fresh in my mind. I still would have made red line on Hillsdale before 101 :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Remember, I commuted MANY years between Foster City and Santa Clara and the wonderful 101 commute is still very fresh in my mind. I still would have made red line on Hillsdale before 101 :D
that must have been many many years ago. I lived in Foster City for many years, often times it was quicker to take the ElCamino than 101

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
that must have been many many years ago. I lived in Foster City for many years, often times it was quicker to take the ElCamino than 101

Yep. Around 1990. But it was still quicker down ElCam at times. Once I was stopped in traffic on 101 in front of Moffit in my convertible, heard this horribly loud noise and watched a Harrier come over the trees in full hover mode. Like to scared the CRAP out of me. Plenty of U2's and weird planes in those old blimp hangars I didn't recognize. It was an entertaining hour between Foster City and (then) IBM/ROLM in Santa Clara.

The earthquake of 89 hit on the way home. By the time I got home, the poor little landfill house was without windows and side wall. We bailed the next year. Still go back every few months.

No, not hijacking............ I leave for work here at 5:00. Nobody on the streets and I wind my girl up! No NSP ROCKS!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts