Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All, so I’ve got a 2002 Spyder 4200, looks like it should be Fun, butt sadly not. And this is due to the F1 shifting, I’d truly love to have a full manual shifting unit, but they are very difficult to find.

So I’d like to see if I can convert this to a 100% fully manual shifting unit, or I’ll sell it and look for another car that’s gated.

Any thoughts on this?

😊

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason, the more I think about this car the more I know that I should have just purchased another Ferrari. It’s nice, but it’s just not the same. I’m going to do a bit of TLC to this one and place it for sale.
Thanks for the advice.

6,037 Posts
Honesty, the 3 pedals versions of those cars are not cool IMO...The shifter is like a stick in a bucket of jello and the clutch pedal feel isn't good either...F1 is the way to go on a 4200...A 4200 isn't a Ferrari and is a different type car...I still love driving them...small car with a big motor..It is like driving a PWC. Jason

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sold my 348TS and F355 Spyder, both gated a few years back as all I did was work. Now I’ve got some more time to do things. I found this car and it was a Whole Lot Less Cash then the ones I’ve sold. It’s a good car, just not the same as a F Car. Maybe over the winter I might have a change of heart. I do plan on the Dynamics Wire Kit for the improvement of throttle and shifting, if that kicks this car into gear, will I might keep it. Just not going to put $15-20k into something and still not loving it. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've never driven a 348 nor a 355, but I have driven a gated 360, and the shifting is very similar. Proper adjustment of the shifter, and clean brake fluid for the clutch make the car a lot better. I love my 3 pedal Spyder.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think what could be at play, here, is that the programming of the Cambiocorsa is very similar to that in the Ferrari F1 transaxle, in that the shifting speed is correlated to engine rpm and throttle opening, but the state of tune for the engine is milder than the Ferrari. That means the engine is happier on the Maser at mid-range RPM's... but the shift positivity and speed remains slowish unless you 'kinda force the shift point to be at higher rpm/throttle position. By comparison the Ferrari engine naturally wants to be at higher rpm where the F1 trans tends to shift in a snappier way.

This means that the TCU tuning should be optimized (or maybe more-optimized?) to the actual car, i.e. to the Maser, not the Ferrari. This may not have been done... ???

The state of tune of an engine tends to govern it's feel, and influences the rpm where the driver feels the engine is at a "happy" point.

Others: does this idea have merit?

6,037 Posts
They are just different cars and the way the gearbox shifts it vastly different...Even a Ferrari at idle the clutch engagement is like an on-off switch...The Maserati is more of a luxury car than sports car and has a lot more slip then say a 360...You can lower the slip on the Maserati a good bit by bringing the PIS down to a real low figure ...Shifts are just faster on a 360 for sure as you are reaching the higher levels of that system with higher pressures and better software than a 4200...J

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
332 Posts
Fair comment, Jason.

The Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire, DBW, it spoofs the throttle position signal, I believe, and so it effectively speeds up the shifting under less than aggressive throttle positions, RPM's...

If that's what a person wants, it appears to me to be a worthwhile addition. I suppose it trades away a bit of driver control of shift speed (like when the car, and in reality, the transaxle is cold, when you want the transaxle to shift slowly to gain synchronizer longevity, make it easier on the synchro's). Maybe the DBW unit still respects differences between Normal and Sport, though...? Cars ought to be kept in Manual Normal 'til the 'box is warm, in my view...

6,037 Posts
I'm honesty not how sure the quick shifting hammers the synchros etc...Either way I'm kinda old school and let a car engine still warm up and let everything else as well before I start beating on a vehicle...Jason

Reactions: twinspark

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've never had a manual car that doesn't "appreciate" having its manual transmission/transaxle being warmed up before shifting... and I'm talking about normal, grandma shifting. If first to second feels "notchy" when cold, and not when hot - then the cold shift is (on a micro scale) rounding the respective gear's dog teeth/synchro sleeve teeth. So, on my straight-gut manual cars I shift first to second when cold, at walking pace 'til warmer or warmish, and I downshift 3rd to 2nd at low speeds, always double-clutching... at least 'til it's warm.

The Graziano is a 'manual box that has robotized shifting. Same internals.

These cars, I agree, appreciate a warm up. They're exotics...

6,037 Posts
I think that was some internet folklore if I remember correctly..There was some guy on F-chat that messed with one etc...Lambertius on here looked into it at one point..Those TCMs are probably not that easy to program as a lot of older stuff like that likes to crash during the process....Jason

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree. The latter fellow is in France I believe, and I understand he is very active in the F community. Aldous Voice, in the UK, he takes cars like standard trim Ferrari 360's and he can fit Challenge Stradale TCU's. Those TCU's double-clutch, even upshifting, under some aggressive conditions, for reason of actually shifting faster, i.e. being quicker to engage the next gear. It is done lightening-quick, due to the automation.

6,037 Posts
I agree. The latter fellow is in France I believe, and I understand he is very active in the F community. Aldous Voice, in the UK, he takes cars like standard trim Ferrari 360's and he can fit Challenge Stradale TCU's. Those TCU's double-clutch, even upshifting, under some aggressive conditions, for reason of actually shifting faster, i.e. being quicker to engage the next gear. It is done lightening-quick, due to the automation.
That looks like "I know a dude" IMO as his post are from like 2013 as far as reflashing a 360 TCM? ...A normal shop can't really do anything like that and I"m pretty sure the dealer can't/ won't do anything like that...Jason

1 - 20 of 25 Posts