Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Own a Cambiocorse, can NOT use a clutch pedal

Votes: 2 4.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the popularity of the CC transmission, I was wondering if the owners were converts from 3 pedal cars, or just can't drive a stick shift?

·
Registered
530 Posts
you need a box poll not a radio button poll, I own a CC and can use a clutch. I also own 2 manuals and can (obviuosly) use a clutch, so can my wife and kids.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I own a CC and can drive a stick manual.

However, I do suck at it.

I learned to drive a stick when I bought a Ferrari in Chicago and I flew my dad out to drive it back with me to VA-- he taught me on the way. That clutch was not long for this world. But its a story :)

-dsd

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a grumpy old man I can drive a stick but prefer not to. In my impetious youth I drove a 74 Alfa 2000GTV for 10 years and 70K miles. Double clutched from day one. When I sold it in 86 the original clutch was still strong and the 2nd gear synchro worked well (not common). Good thing I did not know about track days.

I drove only automatics (except on rare occasions - including 10 days in Italy 2 years ago with a hot Fiat hatch back Diesel rental :) since the mid 80's.

Hence my purchase of a CC. I thought - wow - I won't neeed to row in traffic or worry about hills. After joining this forum and reading about clutch issues I won't even drive to work any more and I avoid downtown Seattle like the plague. (no valet parking worries). The good news is in the year I have owned the car I have had no issues. I am about to go in for my 18,5K service so I will know more soon.

·
Registered
240 Posts
every car I have ever owned has been a manual trans. I learned on a manual. I remember my father taking me on highway 80 and I55 to learn to drive in the winter.

"Son its time you learned to drive, lets get on I55 north then go east on I80" this was in Feb just south of Chicago where those 2 large intersections meet and every 18 wheeler in the world drives on those roads. I am glad my father taught me how to drive. He made me practice for 1 whole year prior to gettting my D.L. I didnt get my D.L. until I was almost 18.

when I drive an auto I always find myself mashing my left foot in the floor like a clutch peddle will be there

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a theory

I am puzzled/amused/amazed by ocasional posts on this forum from people who claim to have trouble "getting the hang" of shifting a CC. Talked to a F-M salesman about this phenomenon, they experience it all the time during demo rides. He said invariably, it is a person who has never driven a stick shift in their lives before.

So the problem is not teaching them to pull on the right paddle to upshift and to pull on the left paddle to downshift, although he said some are challenged even by this concept.

Rather, the problem is getting them to understand WHY you need to shift and when. Totally foreign concept to them.

My theory is that such people can't dribble a basketball, either.

I know that may sound arrogant. And who am I to criticize people who primarily buy it for maximum valet appeal. But ....hey, we're talking about a sports car here??????? Sorta, kinda, like maybe, like, performance-oriented driving???? Where the car performs better if you optimize the revs/shifts? A totally foreign concept to some, apparently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
when I drive an auto I always find myself mashing my left foot in the floor like a clutch peddle will be there[/QUOTE]

I learned to drive a stick and automatic at the same period of time. I taught myself to drive the automatic using my left foot to brake. My inspiration was Jim Hall of Chaperal Racing.

Seems to work well with the CC - especially to get going from a full stop. Stepping on the brake keeps the clutch disengaged while I bring up the rev's . Sort of like a mini version of launch control

1 - 13 of 13 Posts