Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I used to cover the dist. cap etc and pressure wash my old American muscle cars; today's cars have many plastic shrouds etc to protect the motors; can you clean the engine with any degreaser or water spray without SHORTING out or causing any componet to go bad. your clean fanatic in Atlanta............dogdoc:D

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
706 Posts
Years ago I used to cover the dist. cap etc and pressure wash my old American muscle cars; today's cars have many plastic shrouds etc to protect the motors; can you clean the engine with any degreaser or water spray without SHORTING out or causing any componet to go bad. your clean fanatic in Atlanta............dogdoc:D
I've been thinking of the best way to detail the engine and remove some oil swetting but don't think I want to start power washing. For e.g., there is very minor oil swetting from the front belt cover that I would like to clean up.

Other's have any suggestions or is it simply degreaser, rags and elbow grease - the old fashion way.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i've used Simple Green Degreaser and a garden hose using low pressure. let the degreaser do the work, as oppoosed to using high-pressure water.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx, that makes sense!

low pressure garden hose; I thought of getting some air hose and just blowing the grit, etc off the valve covers but that won't do anything for the grease...dogdoc

·
Registered
274 Posts
These engines are a lot more robust than what people give them credit for , I reguarly clean my engine bay , first get the engine warm not too hot a good spray with electrical sealer and then wd40, i use a foam degreaser with a soft stipple brush leave for ten mins then high pressure wash (fine mist spray ) does the trick every time and leaves it like new ,

regards lozcb

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have taken mine to the coin operated car wash

to clean the engine bay many times. I use their degreaser and let it soak in then use their low pressure spotless rinse to get all off the engine and it sparkles, starts and drives away without a problem.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
706 Posts
to clean the engine bay many times. I use their degreaser and let it soak in then use their low pressure spotless rinse to get all off the engine and it sparkles, starts and drives away without a problem.
oK, some details please.
1. Which degreaser ?
2. Do you spray the degreaser directly onto the manifold, cam covers, front belt cover, side of block ? Then. do you power wash directly onto the same, i.e., manifold etc. ?

3. Do you take the plastic shrowd's off ? And, do you cover any of the electrical components like the plugs wires, solenoids, etc. ?

TIA - Would love to do this but concerned about direct water/degreaser on the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.