Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still shopping for cars...I keep finding cars where they think it has the nav because it has the screen, but it turns out there's no nav. A friend of mine says he added the nav system to his car but when I called Beverly Hills they said it wasn't possible, and when I called the OC dealer they said it was possible but super mega stupid expensive and the factory frowned on it blah blah blah. So is it possible or no? I am getting conflicting reports.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Would be much better off just buying a small unit like a Garmin and mounting it on yourself. would be much cheaper and the Maserati NAV completley sucked anyway. Was pretty much the only fault I found with my Spyder, Well along with the stereo. But did not buy the car for those features anyway

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it took calling 6 dealerships but I finally got an answer...

The units are prewired for nav, all it takes is a flashing of the ROM to reinstall the software and the addition of an antenna and the CDs or DVDs. The unit itself is the same. Maserati NA has to do the flashing and re-installing of the software. They used to be cool with it, but as of sometime in '04 they stopped doing that--if they see a unit that didn't have nav beforehand they won't change it over. So you have to buy a whole new display unit, which ends up being around $5k.

Grr....I got SO close to buying a car thinking it had a nav and now it doesn't and I can't fix that...grrr.

·
Registered
835 Posts
the answer is yes (don't believe what they tell you about swapping out the entire unit) and ferrari of OC did it for me for about $1500. My suggestion to you is DON'T DO IT. It's not worth the money. As many had said the nav sucked big time. Some of the city names don't even display correctly and it does not give you street names on the map like most of the japanese cars do. I contacted NAVTEQ, the company that provided the map software for maserati, they told me the problems i am experiencing is on the hardware. Anyhow... after market is the way to go. Eventhough it is only 1500 to get it reprogramed and some of the aftermarket product are more expensive but consider on those, you could enjoy MP3, DVD and lots of goodies not just something that works half ass.

By the way, I have not had any good experience with Beveley Hills... they are horrible.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket system? I don't like adding hardware that's visible from outside, that's just an invitation to theft...is there anything that will work on the stock screen?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts