Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members,

I am really interested in the Maserati Quattroppe GT Sedan(not sure if you spell like that..i am looking at 2007 model in black with the stock 20 inch wheels and orange interior.

My question is Maserati a part of Ferrari?
Does the car have the same engine as Ferrari?

Will they continue this model for 2008?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Answer...

Maserati was part of Ferrari, from 1997 until this last year or so and now Maserati is part of the Fiat Group, the parent company of Ferrari which is controlled by Pierro Ferrari (10% of the company ) andd Luca Cordero De-Montezemolo (majority stock holder) who was hired by Enzo Ferrari himself to run the Ferrari Gestione Sportiva (Formula 1 Race Team). The QP will continue to be produced, Maserati is now focusing more on luxury with performance than just performance alone and Fiat is now focusing Alfa Romeo into the sport where the Maserati Coupe played with the new Alfa 8C. As for the engine, yes it is a Ferrari 4200cc Design, same basic engine block and so forth that is used for the Ferrari F430 but with timing chains instead of belts and detuned in regard to cams and overall horsepower, geared more towards reliability. Maserati will be around for a while this time, Luca is out to gain market share for the Fiat group and he is the right guy for the job.. Just remember everytime you start your Maserati, a little bit of Michael , Kimi, Felippe, and the Ferrari team is riding along with you.

Maserati themselves have been around as long as GM, etc. About 97 years from my last recollection. Maserati was a company founded by 6 brothers in Modena, Italy, the original home of Scuderia Ferrari (Scuderia = Stable ) before Ferrari moved to Maranello after WWII. Scuderia Ferrari was only a team of race car drivers before the move to Maranello. Anyway Maserati is the only foreign car company to ever win the Indy 500, did so back in the 50's while under the original owners. Maserati is a old proud company with new life and a lot of happy owners like us.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
No offense,

But if you are buying it because you want a four door ferrari, I would rather you not buy it... You wont be happy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for letting me know the history.

I want this car cause i am looking for the best sedan out their...its either this or the S 550 from Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you want a "sedan" I would just go with the Sclass. My buddy has an S550, most amazing sedan ride I have ever felt.

The quattroporte is just a four doored gransport.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it is the best four door available

and it is a four door ferrari...
enzo always prduced a 4 door family car and
ferrari originally bought maserati to get back into
that market... btw its rated higher than any
mecedes in regard to ride, performance and comfort,
according to consumer reports as well it is much
more reliable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont think the S550 is better then the Quattroporte GT Executive ...or is it..any more opinions..come on guys i am looking to turn heads ....looks wise i think the GT is much better looking and the Interior is better as well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Again, if you just want to buy a maserati to turn heads... you wont be happy. You dont seem to want one for the right reasons, but then again I may be wrong.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What are the right reasons?

Again, if you just want to buy a maserati to turn heads... you wont be happy. You dont seem to want one for the right reasons, but then again I may be wrong.

You have raised an interesting question. Not wanting to be too philosophical, I am sure we all have our own reasons which like any religion (and reading this forum, I am beginning to think Maserati ownership and driving is more of a religious experience than just getting to work :) ), are valid as long as they don't impose their values on me.

So, I would be most interested in what our collective reasons for buying a Maserati are. (When ever the gas bill comes in, I find myself having to reconvince my wife of the merits of Maserati ownership. I need some new responses!)

I will start by saying for me it includes

1) History of the marque
2) Italian styling
3) Exhaust note
4) Performance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maseratiboy,

What do you mean it wont turn heads?The GT in 20 inch wheels is beautiful man and the name Maserati is a head turner in itself man...i obviously dont know much about Maserati besides the obvious i am looking for the best sedan out there with kick ass performance and also with the Maserati having a little bit of Ferrari in it is a plus as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the Maser will certainly turn more heads, it's a freakin Maserati!

BUT

I think the Mercedes is a much "smarter" car. So it depends hevaily on what you're looking for. Although in the same class I think they are wolrds apart.

I mean the technology in the Mercedes runs laps around the Maserati.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
According to Consumer Reports

The Maserati is worlds ahead of any other high end four door in regard to ride and everything else, even stereo.... The Maserati QP has won 27 awards this year alone, it's a much better car....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Manny,

That's my point. It seems like you are thinking of a maserati because people are going to looka tyou and because you want to say it has a ferrari engine and parts....

I'm telling you that if you want to get it for those reasons... You are going to end up regretting getting it.

Keep in mind that services are $1-3k, tires are almost $2k for a set, the clutch is a $3k part as is the f1 pump...

The upkeep on these cars is insanely expensive...

·
Registered
517 Posts
and it is a four door ferrari...
enzo always prduced a 4 door family car and
ferrari originally bought maserati to get back into
that market... btw its rated higher than any
mecedes in regard to ride, performance and comfort,
according to consumer reports as well it is much
more reliable.

Ferrari has never produced a 4 door production car, and neither has Lamborghini for that matter. However both DeTomaso (Deauville) and Iso Rivolta (Fidia) built 4 door cars. Not including pre-war Alfa Romeos and Lancias, Maserati introduced the 1st production High Performance Italian Luxury car with the Quattroporte Series 1 in the early 60s.

BTW Ferrari never really purchased Maserati. Fiat purchased OA Maserati in a series of deals from DeTomaso Industries in the early 90's. As part of accounting and production streamlining it moved Maserati from their Fiat Auto Division to another division under Ferrari. (It also could have been to protect it from being included in a possible sale of Fiat Auto which was in bad shape at the time)

It was then moved back into Fiat Auto for many of the same reasons to gain the synergies with its weak Alfa Romeo line while keeping its synergies with Ferrari. And to help prepare for the re-launch of the Alfa product line up and its reentry into the North American market.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ferrari has never produced a 4 door production car
I suspect that what GrndLkNatv (sorry I don't know you name) was referring to was a four-seater, not a four-door, as a number of seats can be a critical component when determining a target market - but please correct me if I'm reading too much into what you were saying.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I suspect that what GrndLkNatv (sorry I don't know you name) was referring to was a four-seater, not a four-door, as a number of seats can be a critical component when determining a target market - but please correct me if I'm reading too much into what you were saying.
Ferrari has had a continuous production of 2 + 2 cars since the 250 GTE in 1960 through the current 612 Scaglietti.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts