Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems like the driver's doing it.

I would guess he's goosing the throttle as he downshifts.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The answer is no for the auto.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The QP GT S has a cambiocorsa gearbox, so the throttle blips on downshifts are normal.

I've asked a question on the guy's video comments to let me know about the exhaust. On the video it says "custom", which probably means he got a local garage to make him one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The QP GT S has a cambiocorsa gearbox, so the throttle blips on downshifts are normal.

I've asked a question on the guy's video comments to let me know about the exhaust. On the video it says "custom", which probably means he got a local garage to make him one.
???

The (2008) QP Sport GT-S came in AUTO only.
The (2009) QP Sport GT S comes in MC Shift only.

i don't think the OP was asking about the QP Sport GTS. and the guy in the video does not have an 08 QP Sport GT-S. it is a regular Sport GT.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The QP Sport GT was cambiocorsa, with no automatic option, until the 2007 or 2008 model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
???

The (2008) QP Sport GT-S came in AUTO only.
The (2009) QP Sport GT S comes in MC Shift only.

i don't think the OP was asking about the QP Sport GTS. and the guy in the video does not have an 08 QP Sport GT-S. it is a regular Sport GT.
That's actually not true. The 2009 GranTurismo-S only comes in MC-Shift (right now - later it will come in only ZF Auto), but the 2009 QP GTS is actually ZF Auto. There are no QP's currently offered with any kind of manual transmission (at least not in the US, but I'm pretty sure worldwide too). It's one of the coolest automatics I've ever driven and it does blip the throttle very noticeably when it downshifts, particularly in "Sport" mode. It is VERY LOUD in "Sport", just like the GranTurismo-S, and it apparently has an option for "fast-start" - which is something like launch control, but with an automatic transmission. I don't know how it works, but they say you can do it as much as you want and it won't affect the warranty. They claim 0-60 in 5.1 using the "fast-start" feature.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That's actually not true. The 2009 GranTurismo-S only comes in MC-Shift (right now - later it will come in only ZF Auto), but the 2009 QP GTS is actually ZF Auto. There are no QP's currently offered with any kind of manual transmission (at least not in the US, but I'm pretty sure worldwide too). It's one of the coolest automatics I've ever driven and it does blip the throttle very noticeably when it downshifts, particularly in "Sport" mode. It is VERY LOUD in "Sport", just like the GranTurismo-S, and it apparently has an option for "fast-start" - which is something like launch control, but with an automatic transmission. I don't know how it works, but they say you can do it as much as you want and it won't affect the warranty. They claim 0-60 in 5.1 using the "fast-start" feature.
what is it not true? 2009 QP GT-S is MC Shift only?
can you provide link to official maserati information that 2009 QP GT-S is actually ZF Auto?

can you read anywhere here that says the 2009 QP Sport GT-S is actually ZF Auto?
http://www.maserati.com/maserati/en/en/index/models/Quattroporte-Sport-GT-S/technology.html

so you have driven a 2009 Maserati QP Sport GT-S with one of the coolest automatics?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Guys, I think a couple of us (yep, me too!) got a little confused given Maserati's chosen nomenclature for their QPs.

The recent 4.7l car, with ZF auto only, is the QP Sport GT S.

This car has replaced the 4.2l Duoselect and Automatic QP GT S.

The OP was presumably about a 4.2l Auto QP GT S, but the actual thread title and question use the wrong name for the car: There is no such thing as a QP Sport GT, it's either a QP Sport GT S (latest model) or a QP GT S (older model).

I bet I got it wrong somewhere though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Guys, I think a couple of us (yep, me too!) got a little confused given Maserati's chosen nomenclature for their QPs.

The OP was presumably about a 4.2l Auto QP GT S, but the actual thread title and question use the wrong name for the car: There is no such thing as a QP Sport GT, it's either a QP Sport GT S (latest model) or a QP GT S (older model).

There is such a thing as a Quattroporte Sport GT. At least for the US market, there is QP Sport GT, QP Executive GT and regular QP in 2006, 2007 and 2008. At near the end of 2008 production run, Maserati offered QP Sport GT-S (with non-skyhook suspension and automatic trans only). I hope I'm right on this, if not, please someone correct me.

As for 2009, their offerings are: QP (4.2L); QP-S (4.7L) and QP Sport GT-S (4.7L) I hope I'm also correct on this....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

stop confusing everyone please.

the OP never "presumably about a 4.2l Auto QP GT S", he said 'Quattroporte Sport GT "AUTOMATIC"'.
you are the first one to introduce QP GT-S into this thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is such a thing as a Quattroporte Sport GT. At least for the US market, there is QP Sport GT, QP Executive GT and regular QP in 2006, 2007 and 2008. At near the end of 2008 production run, Maserati offered QP Sport GT-S (with non-skyhook suspension and automatic trans only). I hope I'm right on this, if not, please someone correct me.

As for 2009, their offerings are: QP (4.2L); QP-S (4.7L) and QP Sport GT-S (4.7L) I hope I'm also correct on this....
Spot-on, mate. Latest QP Sport GT-S is ZF transmission only but this one blips on downshifts. Lovely....

·
Registered
695 Posts

I just checked out the new QP GT S earlier this afternoon. Curious, - as I am getting confused with these similar designations myself - I looked to see what the nomenclature was on the MSRP sticker:

"Quattroporte SP S"
Price was $142,XXX with options. And has the ZF 6AT tranny which is called MC-AUTO Shift.
Thank you Maserati, for confusing the @#%$ out of us. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
so only SPORT GT S AUTO will give the downshift blip???

and the SPORT GT AUTO will not have the downshift blip???

really confusing..

Here is recap:

2008 QP Sport GT-S (4.2L & only offered with Auto) will NOT blip on downshift.

2009 QP Sport GT-S (4.7L & only offered with Auto, aka MC-auto shift) WILL blip upon downshifting.

2006-2008 QP Sport GT (4.2L with Auto trans) will NOT blip on downshifts. Edit: Oops, Auto are only offered in 2008.

I hope I got this down right.....it is kinda confusing...;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts